The Student Room Group

I don't think I can afford uni

Hi, so this is the situation. I have applied for Psychology BSc at Bristol, Sussex, UCL, Southampton and Goldsmiths. I have an offer from Goldsmiths and am waiting for the others; as I am predicted three A's, I am hoping I will get a few more.

Basically, the main problem is not whether I get offers, but how I will fund going to university. I am aware I can get a student loan to cover tuition fees, I have no problem with this, I understand that many people will need to do this, and I only have to start paying it off when I can afford to. But the maintenance cost is my main concern.

I am not eligible for any grant or loans as my parents earn over the maximum amount to get a loan from the government. They earn roughly 70K a year, which as far as I am aware means I do not qualify to a maintenance loan. However, though they earn a fair amount of money, they cannot afford to pay any of my maintenance fees; they cannot help me financially in any way, mainly due to the fact I have two younger siblings. I have a job but am paid badly, I currently have only £500 in my bank account.

In other words, as far as I can see, it looks like I can't afford uni. I can't live at home, and I don't get any financial support because the loans are means-tested and my household's income is too high. I think this system is incredibly unfair; it does not take into account the fact that though people's parents earn a good amount of money, it does not mean they can afford to fund their children going to university.

So anyway, my question is: is there any hope for me? Is there any way I can get financial support, are there any loans I am unaware of? I am determined to go to uni, if I possibly can! I have no learning difficulties so I cannot get support for that, and it is unlikely I'd get a scholarship, and I do not qualify for bursaries, and just for reference, I am a UK student. My only chance would be getting an 'Excellence Scholarship' if I get three A's and put Sussex as my first choice, as this offers £2,000 and free first year accommodation. Failing this, and planning for the next two year, what can I do? Any help is very much appreciated - thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

All students are entitled to some form of maintenance loan. As someone whose parents earn £70k, (I can't remember if the thresholds have changed or indeed what they are) I don't think you're entitled to any income based loan. But, every student who meets the criteria for student finance, is entitled to some sort of maintenance loan.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
All students are entitled to some form of maintenance loan. As someone whose parents earn £70k, (I can't remember if the thresholds have changed or indeed what they are) I don't think you're entitled to any income based loan. But, every student who meets the criteria for student finance, is entitled to some sort of maintenance loan.

I am entitled to a loan, of £51 a year! Not exactly gonna make a difference haha! I think I'm stuck.
Reply 3
Original post by opalesecent
I am entitled to a loan, of £51 a year! Not exactly gonna make a difference haha! I think I'm stuck.

Just apply to uni and if you get a place defer your entry till 2017 and in the mean time work full time and save as much as you can.There are plenty of retail jobs/fast food jobs out there.
Reply 4

Wrong. This year it was £3555 for people in the highest bracket.

I worked out that you are entitled to a loan of about 5k per year (if your living in london) for maintenance, this is to pay for your accomodation and living costs.

You are also entitled to a loan to pay the full cost of your tuition fees which are probably all 9k per year

If you want to check this yourself you can use the student finance calculator on the govs website:https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Tell them you live with your pensioner grandmother or something.
Original post by alow
Wrong. This year it was £3555 for people in the highest bracket.

And to count for inflation, it should be more for students starting next year.
Im a student living at home in london and my dad earns around 250k before tax. I get £2970 odd a year
Reply 9
Everyone is entitled to a maintenance loan from student finance. There is a minimum amount you can have regardless of your parents' income. My parents are over the limit too and I still get about £2800 a year, but you get more if you don't live with your parents (don't know how much). People who are below that maximum income limit can get a bigger loan and grants. That's the difference your parents' income makes. If you live with your parents then you'll be fine. If you intend to move out then they should be capable of financially supporting you enough that you won't need more than the loan you are entitled to.
Reply 10

Yeah this. I think it was about £120 less last year.

But inflation has been zero/negative the past year:redface:
Original post by bananasplit321
Im a student living at home in london and my dad earns around 250k before tax. I get £2970 odd a year

wow what does your dad do? :smile:
Original post by Neurosci
I worked out that you are entitled to a loan of about 5k per year (if your living in london) for maintenance, this is to pay for your accomodation and living costs.

You are also entitled to a loan to pay the full cost of your tuition fees which are probably all 9k per year

If you want to check this yourself you can use the student finance calculator on the govs website:https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Just checked this earlier today and I found that out too, the loan rules have changed since last time i looked. I am entitled to about £3,400 as I'll be living outside of London, this loan however still only covers of half of what I'd need to live.
Original post by Nadile
Everyone is entitled to a maintenance loan from student finance. There is a minimum amount you can have regardless of your parents' income. My parents are over the limit too and I still get about £2800 a year, but you get more if you don't live with your parents (don't know how much). People who are below that maximum income limit can get a bigger loan and grants. That's the difference your parents' income makes. If you live with your parents then you'll be fine. If you intend to move out then they should be capable of financially supporting you enough that you won't need more than the loan you are entitled to.

I do intend to move out, and this is my whole problem. I don't see why my parents should have to financially support me, and I don't expect them to. They cannot afford it. The loan covers less than half of what I'd need to go to uni.
Reply 15
I do intend to move out, and this is my whole problem. I don't see why my parents should have to financially support me, and I don't expect them to. They cannot afford it. The loan covers less than half of what I'd need to go to uni.

Get a job.
Original post by chikane
wow what does your dad do? :smile:

hes a solicitor. my mum and dad are divorced but i didn't tell student finance about it as his income was so high i didn't think it would make a difference. But after tax and giving what he owes my mum, plus school fees of my brother he's on about 60-70k a year. He helps me out each month by paying for my oyster travel card (£86), and meals when i stay at his. Apart from that i am financially independent
(edited 8 years ago)
Just checked this earlier today and I found that out too, the loan rules have changed since last time i looked. I am entitled to about £3,400 as I'll be living outside of London, this loan however still only covers of half of what I'd need to live.

Either get your parents to help - I'm sure there's something they can cut back on - or get a job. You could easily work three months over summer - £7 an hour, 40 hours a week for 12 weeks and you'll have £3,360 extra which might be enough if you're careful with your budgeting. Alternatively you can work part-time during uni like thousands of other students.
Reply 18

Well the general idea of the loan is that you get less because your parents are meant to support you. It is annoying though because it often leaves people who just don't qualify for extra money, or qualify for a small amount pretty screwed.

Honestly it sounds like you can either work part time during university, or take a gap year to save up money before starting your course. Many people manage with part time jobs so I guess you should be able to as well?
Reply 19
Hi, so this is the situation. I have applied for Psychology BSc at Bristol, Sussex, UCL, Southampton and Goldsmiths. I have an offer from Goldsmiths and am waiting for the others; as I am predicted three A's, I am hoping I will get a few more.

Basically, the main problem is not whether I get offers, but how I will fund going to university. I am aware I can get a student loan to cover tuition fees, I have no problem with this, I understand that many people will need to do this, and I only have to start paying it off when I can afford to. But the maintenance cost is my main concern.

I am not eligible for any grant or loans as my parents earn over the maximum amount to get a loan from the government. They earn roughly 70K a year, which as far as I am aware means I do not qualify to a maintenance loan. However, though they earn a fair amount of money, they cannot afford to pay any of my maintenance fees; they cannot help me financially in any way, mainly due to the fact I have two younger siblings. I have a job but am paid badly, I currently have only £500 in my bank account.

In other words, as far as I can see, it looks like I can't afford uni. I can't live at home, and I don't get any financial support because the loans are means-tested and my household's income is too high. I think this system is incredibly unfair; it does not take into account the fact that though people's parents earn a good amount of money, it does not mean they can afford to fund their children going to university.

So anyway, my question is: is there any hope for me? Is there any way I can get financial support, are there any loans I am unaware of? I am determined to go to uni, if I possibly can! I have no learning difficulties so I cannot get support for that, and it is unlikely I'd get a scholarship, and I do not qualify for bursaries, and just for reference, I am a UK student. My only chance would be getting an 'Excellence Scholarship' if I get three A's and put Sussex as my first choice, as this offers £2,000 and free first year accommodation. Failing this, and planning for the next two year, what can I do? Any help is very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

how about deferring and work like a spartan for a year ?

Latest

Trending

Trending