The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by opalesecent
i'm pointing out the fact that your opinion differs from a lot of people's realities. yes, they are now, only found out yesterday night, so case closed.

Parents should be helping you, which is why their income is assessed. How is that an opinion? I know some parents don't help their kids, but they should.
i have chosen unis close to home. and thanks fro the encouraging advice, cheers for undermining my whole course which i have already applied for - thats really makes me feel a lot better. shall i just withdraw my application then?

I'm not trying to undermine you dude. I'm just hitting you with truth and I hope you can make a decision from it. I'm only telling you because I wanted to do psycho myself after getting full ums in my gcses and a levels in psycho.
Original post by Butternuts96
I'm not trying to undermine you dude. I'm just hitting you with truth and I hope you can make a decision from it. I'm only telling you because I wanted to do psycho myself after getting full ums in my gcses and a levels in psycho.

well it depends what you want to do with it. i want to do a MA, which makes me much more employable. plus, where i want to go, sussex uni, has really good links and the course is BPS accredited, plus at sussex they offer to give you a work placement for a year.
Original post by cherryred90s
Parents should be helping you, which is why their income is assessed. How is that an opinion? I know some parents don't help their kids, but they should.

parents SHOULD - there's the opinion. a fact would be "parents do" - which they don't, or most of them don't. "should" is your opinion.
parents SHOULD - there's the opinion. a fact would be "parents do" - which they don't, or most of them don't. "should" is your opinion.

You don't get it. Its an expectation that your parents SHOULD support you. If you have an issue with that, go and complain to SF, not me.

Many parents DO pay and help support their kids, mine included.

Where did you get this information that 'most dont' ? Isn't that your opinion?
Original post by JamesN88
You could get a full time job for a year or less and rent a room somewhere cheaply for official purposes, then you'd be in the lowest bracket. You could still actually live at your family home but use the other address for any paperwork.

How would this help OP? You have to have financially supported yourself for three years to be classed as an independent student.

Tbh I still believe your parents could help you out. Having three kids is no excuse.... my mum has three kids and like I said, is on £16k. Your parents earn 70k! Don't say it's private what they do because you made a whole thread about it. Anyway, if they refuse to help them you will just have to work etc to come up with more money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't get it. Its an expectation that your parents SHOULD support you. If you have an issue with that, go and complain to SF, not me.

Many parents DO pay and help support their kids, mine included.

Where did you get this information that 'most dont' ? Isn't that your opinion?

an expectation is still an opinion. a lot of people get grants/loans/bursaries, or their parents can't afford to help them at all. 80% of students work at least part time - i read it in the guardian few days ago. that shows that most of the time, students fund their own study, or the government does. why shouldn't an 18 year old be prepared to work to earn a living, when you become 18, you become an adult.

regardless of whether your parents help you out a bit or not, the bulk of the money should come from you. then, you learn about budgeting, and then you come out of uni, it won't hit you so hard. at least i can feel good about myself that i earn my own cash - and i'll have a lot more work experience than you.
an expectation is still an opinion. a lot of people get grants/loans/bursaries, or their parents can't afford to help them at all. 80% of students work at least part time - i read it in the guardian few days ago. that shows that most of the time, students fund their own study, or the government does. why shouldn't an 18 year old be prepared to work to earn a living, when you become 18, you become an adult.

regardless of whether your parents help you out a bit or not, the bulk of the money should come from you. then, you learn about budgeting, and then you come out of uni, it won't hit you so hard. at least i can feel good about myself that i earn my own cash - and i'll have a lot more work experience than you.

Your parents CAN afford to help you though, which is why they are giving you 500 a term.

Just because students work part time doesn't mean their parents aren't helping them.

If you think that an 18year old should be working and earning their own living, why are you accepting money from your parents when you turn 18?

I know how to budget thank you. I'm not the one complaining that I can't afford uni. Perhaps you should learn how to budget and you will see that you can afford uni..
(edited 8 years ago)
Your parents CAN afford to help you though, which is why they are giving you 500 a term.

Just because students work part time doesn't mean their parents aren't helping them.

If you think that an 18year old should be working and earning their own living, why are you accepting money from your parents when you turn 18?

I know how to budget thank you. I'm not the one complaining that I can't afford uni. Perhaps you should learn how to budget and you will see that you can afford uni..

How will you have more experience than me?

no, they can't even afford it yet - you have no idea. when i leave, my room will be rented out to people in order for them to be able to give me the £500 per term - i won't even have my own room to stay in when i return for the holidays. that means my mum has to constantly cook and clean in order to give me that £500. if you think my parents are rich enough to give me loads of money, why on earth would my mum slave away like she already does, cooking and cleaning, just to give me a bit of money per term? she doesn't do it for a laugh you know, she does it because she needs money; she was made redundant two years ago. does that change your view of the seemingly luxurious lifestyle that i don't have?

i'm accepting money because i can't go to uni without it, and it's not exactly a huge amount, it's very useful, but it still doesn't mean i'm depending on them very much, but of course, i am grateful for it. and though i will get that money, i will still be working and making my own living. of course i know how to budget, my parents buy me nothing, at all, ever, unless for a birthday or christmas. i work to buy my own clothes, go on holidays, go out etc., and apart from food and accommodation, i get nothing from them, not even allowance or money for the bus. so don't talk to me about budgeting when clearly you have been able to rely on mummy for most of your life to provide money for you, though even as you said, she could barely afford it. maybe you should've earnt more of it yourself?

i don't know how much you have, but i meant more experience than you had at a uni age. i've had a job for 2 years, i got a job the moment i turned 16 - i have the most amount of experience it is possible to have, plus i did a lot of work experience and volunteering before i was 16. so yeah, i'm pretty sure i do have more experience than you had.
(edited 8 years ago)
no, they can't even afford it yet - you have no idea. when i leave, my room will be rented out to people in order for them to be able to give me the £500 per term - i won't even have my own room to stay in when i return for the holidays. that means my mum has to constantly cook and clean in order to give me that £500. if you think my parents are rich enough to give me loads of money, why on earth would my mum slave away like she already does not, cooking and cleaning, just to give me a bit of money per term? she doesn't do it for a laugh you know, she does it because she needs money; she was made redundant two years ago. does that change your view of the seemingly luxurious lifestyle that i don't have?

i'm accepting money because i can't go to uni without it, and it's not exactly a huge amount, it's very useful, but it still doesn't mean i'm depending on them very much, but of course, i am grateful for it. and though i will get that money, i will still be working and making my own living. of course i know how to budget, my parents buy me nothing, at all, ever, unless for a birthday or christmas. i work to buy my own clothes, go on holidays, go out etc., and apart from food and accommodation, i get nothing from them, not even allowance or money for the bus. so don't talk to me about budgeting when clearly you have been able to rely on mummy for most of your life to provide money for you, though even as you said, she could barely afford it. maybe you should've earnt more of it yourself?

i don't know how much you have, but i meant more experience than you had at a uni age. i've had a job for 2 years, i got a job the moment i turned 18 - i have the most amount of experience it is possible to have, plus i did a lot of work experience and volunteering before i was 16. so yeah, i'm pretty sure i do have more experience than you had.

Did I say your parents are 'rich enough to give you loads of money'?
Did I say you live a 'luxurious lifestyle'?

They'll be giving you money when you start uni, so what are you still moaning about? I don't have a room either, big whoop.

Then don't come with this speech about independence and funding yourself through studies if you have to depend on your parents. Doesn't have to be a huge amount, it's something.

I've worked to buy my own clothes and pay for my own holidays too. I stopped getting money for the bus a long time ago..

You've been relying on your parents for most of your life too! You're still relying on them. You will continue to rely on them when you go uni.

Where did I say that my mum could barely afford it? You have a way with twisting words. I said she financially supported all her kids on less than half the income your parents are getting. At no point did I say she could 'barely afford it'

I'm still at a uni age...
I got a a job when I was 15. I've also done work experience/volunteering. Do you want a gold star?

They'll be giving you money when you start uni, so what are you still moaning about? I don't have a room either, big whoop.

Then don't come with this speech about independence and funding yourself through studies if you have to depend on your parents. Doesn't have to be a huge amount, it's something.

I've worked to buy my own clothes and pay for my own holidays too. I stopped getting money for the bus a long time ago..

You've been relying on your parents for most of your life too! You're still relying on them. You will continue to rely on them when you go uni.

Where did I say that my mum could barely afford it? You have a way with twisting words. I said she financially supported all her kids on less than half the income your parents are getting. At no point did I say she could 'barely afford it'

I got a a job when I was 15. I've also done work experience/volunteering. Do you want a gold star?

i'm not moaning, i'm pointing out the facts - that my parents work hard, just to be able to give me that £500 is difficult for them, so don't complain that they aren't giving me money, they're trying. clearly, i am going to be more independent than you at uni, and i view this as a good thing. you say you "have worked" for your own stuff - thats suggest you haven't had to do it pretty much all your life since working age, and i bet you don't do it now, it doesn't sound like you do. by stating her income was low, you implied it was hard for her to do it - sounds like someone should've been out earning their own money instead of relying on a single parent with a low income. it isn't legal to get a job at 15, not a paid one anyway. no, i just wanted to point out that you clearly think you're some sort lifesaver, here to tell me what to do. i'm quite frankly much happier in my situation than i would be if i was in yours. and i don't need anymore help, i know how i will fund uni now, thankyou.

Savage.
Original post by ozmo19
Im sorry, but if your so "independent" then don't come crying to tsr about your money problems and fix them on your own

sorry but have you read ANY of this thread? clearly not, i made it before i realised i could get a 3K loan. so leave, if you can't be bothered to read. literally done with this thread, every 20 minutes some idiot like you comes along and comments the same old thing.
Original post by ozmo19
Savage.

clearly a lie, you can't even legally work for money at 15. idiot.
Taking advantage of the topic: how hard is to find a well paid job in London? From what I've seen every1 seems to receive more than the minimum wage. (I'm bilingual portuguese and english)

To the OP: You gotta stop complaining so much about how hard you and your parents work and start doing something to improve your situation.

That was one sentence in a whole post of savage comments; who said i was talking about the working at 15 part.
You're hilarious - calling everyone idiots..
(edited 8 years ago)
i'm not moaning, i'm pointing out the facts - that my parents work hard, just to be able to give me that £500 is difficult for them, so don't complain that they aren't giving me money, they're trying. clearly, i am going to be more independent than you at uni, and i view this as a good thing. you say you "have worked" for your own stuff - thats suggest you haven't had to do it pretty much all your life since working age, and i bet you don't do it now, it doesn't sound like you do. by stating her income was low, you implied it was hard for her to do it - sounds like someone should've been out earning their own money instead of relying on a single parent with a low income. it isn't legal to get a job at 15, not a paid one anyway. no, i just wanted to point out that you clearly think you're some sort lifesaver, here to tell me what to do. i'm quite frankly much happier in my situation than i would be if i was in yours. and i don't need anymore help, i know how i will fund uni now, thankyou.

What are you talking about? You initially said they weren't giving you anything, which is what I don't agree with. When you said they've agreed to give you 500 a term, I said fine.

I said it's perfectly doable to raise a family on a lower income than your parents. My mums income is considered 'low' on paper, but she is in no way struggling. Yeah it probably was hard for her at times, but that is also true for parents on much higher incomes, yours is a prime example.

Yeah, because as a young child, I could've earned my own money couldn't I?
I said that I got a job at 15. I was paid.

I gave you advice on what you can do in your situation! If you don't want advice, don't ask for it.

Either you're happy or you've accepted your situation. I'll go with the latter. If SF offered you a grant, you'd take it. If your unis offered you bursaries/scholarships, you'd take them. Nobody wants to get a part time job whilst they're at uni unless they really have to. It's only because you aren't entitled to anything that you're upset because there are people like me who are eligible.

These low blows you're trying to throw at me are not working, because even though my mum is on a much lower income than your parents, she was always willing to help me out at uni and I didn't need to make a thread asking for advice about it.
(edited 8 years ago)

I don't know if it was legal, but I certainly worked when I was 15. My friend was 14 and they employed her.
I have a friend at sussex (first year) who lives in a flat share off campus with 8 other first years. So uni accommodation isn't essential there.

My parents raised over double the children you have (9) on less than half the income (at the time they were earning the most money, it was 30k) two of these children are severely disabled, which they have had to pay for things such as an alarm when my brother gets out of bed, taxi fees cause he goes to school 40 miles away (closest disabled school) and many other things. We have an age gap of 20 years between the oldest and youngest, they've also (over the years) saved about 14k for things like further study, and are sharing it out between me and my younger sister (only ones going to uni) and will help us at uni in addition to this saved money. they've now split up and my mum earns (on her own) about 15 - 20k (she's self employed, it varies) .... if they're earning 70k and have no money left whatsoever, then they ARE spending it wrong. budgeting is key.

However, i understand you're in a pickle. get some more hours, get a full time job over the summer (I did last summer, at boots, saved about 2.3k and will work again this summer). a place like boots is great because your progress so quickly, i got two pay rises over the summer! My college has a similar rule about working hours, except its higher at 15 hours per week (probably because my college is in a very deprived area, so people generally start working from about 14, as I did). I work about 20-25 (depends) and I just don't tell my college. As long as this isn't having a detrimental effect on my grades, how will they know? When at uni, you will have to work. There is no way around this, but at the end of the day.... if you want a degree you have to! It's doable, but hard I know.

Good luck. :smile:
This is a request to keep the posts civil. If people continue to argue, I shall close the thread. OP has had plenty of advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending