Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student and i've just finished my first semester which I hated every minute of. firstly, I'm not really enjoying the lectures/seminars, I'm struggling to stay interested even though it a subject I love. Secondly, i'm really alone, I haven't managed to make even one friend on my course or in the university. I'm living at home, but it's just me and my mum. I don't want to drop out but I have n idea what other courses to do or how to go about moving around now. But I also I don't want to go back, the whole experience has mad me really down and has impacted my health negatively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gfm123)
    I'm a first year student and i've just finished my first semester which I hated every minute of. firstly, I'm not really enjoying the lectures/seminars, I'm struggling to stay interested even though it a subject I love. Secondly, i'm really alone, I haven't managed to make even one friend on my course or in the university. I'm living at home, but it's just me and my mum. I don't want to drop out but I have n idea what other courses to do or how to go about moving around now. But I also I don't want to go back, the whole experience has mad me really down and has impacted my health negatively.
    speak to someone in admissions about how to swap courses.

You can think of changing course, university or dropping out and going to a job (I am personally against this one).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like depression, actually: Loss of interest, loneliness.

A major change like University can have that; There's no easy answer, I'm afraid. There is medication or talking to someone.

I'd recommend finding something you're interested in and joining a society if you're really lonely - Put yourself out there. You deserve better than to sit at home alone. That can be very dehumanizing.

ReputationRep:
    I felt exactly like you around December time, I felt the lectures and seminars exhausting and time consuming. But I motivated myself by sating to myself that "university is worth it, studying this degree is worth it, going to this lecture is worth it" once you think it's difficult or boring, your negative mindset comes and takes over. Try and think positive and aim to get that positive mindset, especially when you have lecture in the morning.

I live at home with my parents too ☺️.

I know what you mean about freinds on the course, I feel as if everyone has formed cliques and groups and it's too late to make friends. But to be honest a lot of people just talk in lectures/seminars to pass time and avoid boredom - not because it's thier friends.

Also have you joined any societies, clubs? As a lot of people don't have freindly on their course, they usually make friends in societies as they have similar interests, perhaps you could try to attend a few societies that interest you?

You could go to the gym - you'll feel good emotionally and physically - you'll also look good 😊

No don't drop out you'll regret it. Think of it this way
    Q:"what's the problem?"
    A:"University experience not good enough"

Q: "well, can you do anything to change it? Can you improve it? What do you want to remember about university?"

A: "motivation for lectures, making friends, enjoying myself, remembering my student days"

what are you waiting for OP? Do something to change how you feel, motivate yourself by doing things, make friends at various different societies, join societies that you would never even think you'll enjoy- you might surprise yourself.

To sum up, university is what you make of it OP, I need to do some of the things I've just written 😣

By the way, what degree are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Living in halls or private accommodation would have made it worse tbh. You could have suffered severe loneliness, Social isolation and more (what i'm experiencing).

disassociate yourself from people in the university and just focus on the degree.

**** this society we live in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uyi 95)
    Living in halls or private accommodation would have made it worse tbh. You could have suffered severe loneliness, Social isolation and more (what i'm experiencing).

disassociate yourself from people in the university and just focus on the degree.

Yeah this was my life at uni last month haha, wouldn't wish what I felt on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Yeah this was my life at uni last month haha, wouldn't wish what I felt on anyone.
    How is it now? are you still in uni or have you left.

It's ****ing hell for me man, i'm struggling

ReputationRep:
    How is it now? are you still in uni or have you left.

It's ****ing hell for me man, i'm struggling
    I left last month, I'm not in a great state now but I don't feel anywhere near as bad. What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I've experienced something very similar - it's actually a good thing that you've withdrawn early. I would suggest the first thing to do is to tell your GP about your struggles, and request to be referred to CMHT services to diagnose you properly because if you need SFE funding in further years and you manage to exhaust your gift-year, you'd need Compelling Personal Reasons.

I would take some time off and treat this like a gap year where you're learning what you're actually passionate about, and make some steps towards achieving that. If your A-Level (or equivalent) results were good, you could always apply for 2016/2017 entry as a late applicant if the courses aren't too competitive. UCAS Clearing would be a reasonable option on 18 August 2016 if you have reasonable (BBB+) grades.

The social isolation bits - it sounds like mental health issues, or a possibility could be something like ASD/social-anxiety. A consultant psychiatrist would be able to more accurately tell you what's going on, and recommend a course of action to support your goals.

And when you're back at University, if you feel it's right for you, join societies and meetings and such very early on and don't be afraid to leave your University dorm door open to talk to people sometimes - they're the gateways to open your social circle.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind telling us which degree course you applied for, what you expected of the degree programme, and what your academic strengths were at A-Level? It could also be a course-mismatch.

ReputationRep:
    OP - If I may ask, I take it you decided to stay at home for financial reasons? (very understandable these days?)

If I was you.......... I would contact the Uni, explain you are at home now and you want to experience a proper student life. Request a place in Halls for your 2nd year. Get a summer job and save. Then go in with the Freshers and 'live the Freshers!' Most of your hallmates will not give a tinkers cuss you are actually 2nd year (and will probably understand why you are there.) And don't worry about the age difference, many people go into Halls after a gap year and some longer than that! The stereotype of Halls as 'full of 18 year olds' is a little off beam, more like Club 18-21!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    It sounds like depression, actually: Loss of interest, loneliness.

A major change like University can have that; There's no easy answer, I'm afraid. There is medication or talking to someone.

I'd recommend finding something you're interested in and joining a society if you're really lonely - Put yourself out there. You deserve better than to sit at home alone. That can be very dehumanizing.
    Thanks so much, I spoke to my gp and she suggested that it may depression and anxiety too. I'm going to try out your suggetions

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing that, have things been getting any better?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that you are experiencing that, have things been getting any better?
    Nah. It's because i'm not a highly cool person

I signed a contract to live in a studio flat for next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    Do you mind telling us which degree course you applied for, what you expected of the degree programme, and what your academic strengths were at A-Level? It could also be a course-mismatch.
    I applied for the Drama and creative writing BA course, looking at the course details i though I would really enjoy it. I studied performing arts at A-level and became more interested the script writing oppoesed to acting/performing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.