Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else trying to break addictions this year? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if counts but I'm trying to cut down on procrastination and sweet things.

There are times when I even prefer to clean :eek:. I'm just that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    That's partly my problem as well, if I'm out and drinking I'll always have that craving.

I've managed to cut my smoking down to only 1 or 2 most days and none on some days. I'm looking to chuck it completely though, so hopefully I'll have stopped totally by the end of feb. I think I just need to find something to take my mind off it while I'm out at uni though.

That's good! When I started, I found that breaking the routine was hard (I'd always have a cigarette on the way & back from work and on break. At college it was always on the way to another building).

My friend used toothpicks when he was trying to quit? I don't know if that would help at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    Caffeine, i'm really struggling!
    Just hang in there m8, how long have you gone caffeine free?

(Original post by Star-girl)
    I have a huge sweet tooth and I am trying to eat fewer sweets and other sugary things. Or just eat a little when I do. :getmecoat:
    My sister needs to do this, she has a huge sweet tooth too and she basically binges on junk food
    My parents get annoyed because neither of us put on weight, while they both do really quickly, so I think they're a bit jelly :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellsy95)
    That's good! When I started, I found that breaking the routine was hard (I'd always have a cigarette on the way & back from work and on break. At college it was always on the way to another building).

My friend used toothpicks when he was trying to quit? I don't know if that would help at all?
    You're dead on about the routine, one on the way to the bus stop then one between classes :lol: you've just given me an idea though, I think I'll bring in a bottle of water and just chug that whenever I feel like smoking.

I've heard the toothpicks thing before, but I'm not too keen on walking around with a toothpick in my mouth. I don't think I could pull off the whole Clint Eastwood look hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Not sure if counts but I'm trying to cut down on procrastination and sweet things.

There are times when I even prefer to clean :eek:. I'm just that bad.
    Procrastination is something else I need to cut back on, but it's not my fault studying is so boring right?

ReputationRep:
    That's partly my problem as well, if I'm out and drinking I'll always have that craving.

I've managed to cut my smoking down to only 1 or 2 most days and none on some days. I'm looking to chuck it completely though, so hopefully I'll have stopped totally by the end of feb. I think I just need to find something to take my mind off it while I'm out at uni though.

Ah, well good luck with it. I know the struggle, even if it isn't the same thing, so I can sympathise with you there.

I remember those days I smoked without being addicted, I should've stopped there lmao :rofl:
    When my dad quite smoking, he chewed root liquorice because it was something to do with his hands and it tasted quite similar. It worked for him. He hasn't smoked in 7 1/2 years. Worth a shot if nothing else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    When my dad quite smoking, he chewed root liquorice because it was something to do with his hands and it tasted quite similar. It worked for him. He hasn't smoked in 7 1/2 years. Worth a shot if nothing else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I might give that a go, I've tried using gum but it just doesn't hit that spot. Maybe the taste will do it? Cheers for the suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Yup my addiction to Navanita/Makhan

:rofl::rofl:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Procrastination is something else I need to cut back on, but it's not my fault studying is so boring right?
    Hardly your fault!

I'm weird though. I procastinate everytime I need to do something. If I want to study, I'll end up reading or cleaning as aforementioned. Normal right?

But thing is, I sometimes procastinate when I want to sleep by studying.

I do it when I want to game by browsing TSR or the web.

Terrible. Basically I rarely do what I need/want to do at the time. It might get done but as a result of a distraction from a less preferable task.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    My sister needs to do this, she has a huge sweet tooth too and she basically binges on junk food
    My parents get annoyed because neither of us put on weight, while they both do really quickly, so I think they're a bit jelly :lol:
    I don't really binge anymore - something I've overcome, but sometimes I'll just eat dessert and sweets and practically nothing else for a while which is bad obviously.

I put on weight really easily, but I also lose it really easily so I just keep going up and down. :/

Hardly your fault!

I'm weird though. I procastinate everytime I need to do something. If I want to study, I'll end up reading or cleaning as aforementioned. Normal right?

But thing is, I sometimes procastinate when I want to sleep by studying.

I do it when I want to game by browsing TSR or the web.

Terrible. Basically I rarely do what I need/want to do at the time. It might get done but as a result of a distraction from a less preferable task.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    This is basically my life. :zomg:

Been getting better at not doing this recently but it still happens way too much. :nothing:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star-girl)
    This is basically my life. :zomg:

Been getting better at not doing this recently but it still happens way too much. :nothing:
    At least previously my time on TSR was spent on interesting problems but now they're all over my head .

ReputationRep:
    At least previously my time on TSR was spent on interesting problems but now they're all over my head .

ReputationRep:

Ah, well good luck with it. I know the struggle, even if it isn't the same thing, so I can sympathise with you there.

I remember those days I smoked without being addicted, I should've stopped there lmao :rofl:
    I stopped because I started craving for it when I would consume alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm addicted to.... The finer things in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Yes, three hours into the new year I failed, it hasn't gotten better either. It freakin hard.....
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    I am addicted to the finest columbian cocaine. every time i try to quit sosa drops a little for free at my doorstep. Sosa, I will end you!

ReputationRep:
    Drinking, smoking mainly. Mixed results.

ReputationRep:
    Addictions can't be overcome. You just have to accept them and embrace them as a part of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Stimulants and various types of smoking. Its going ok I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellsy95)
    I'm quitting smoking - so far I've got 20 days without one and I'm also trying to avoid fizzy drinks like coke.
    Exactly the same here! Coke and smoking. My main two vices. Going..okay..not smoked for a week but still drinking coke every day, have cut down though from the litres a day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.