Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you start the GDL before securing a TC? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This might not apply to everyone as I'm assuming there are at least a few graduates on here who might have started law school already.

My question is: would you start the GDL without securing a TC?

I have asked several people at the University of Law how many students have secured a TC prior to commencing the GDL and they always give the same answer: hardly any.

My worry is that this is what they're are bound to say, given that they're are business and want as many people to enrol on their course as possible. Is there any truth in what they're saying? Do you think most people secure a TC during their GDL year (assuming their a non-law graduate of course)?

Thanks for your help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think your post is a little confusing. Are you saying UoL is saying very few self fund or very few secure a TC before starting the GDL?

If the latter, then the University of Law should hang their head in shame if that's what they are telling you. It's a downright lie.

They will have major clients of theirs who sponsor the GDL for their prospective trainees. They will be get £100,000s of revenue from individual firms paying those GDL fees. If a firm is directly paying the bill this means they have recruited the trainees before they started the course.

Not all forms sponsor the GDL, and many people start the GDL of their own accord and then secure a training contract. So ultimately there will be a significant amount of people who self-fund. But to say that those who don't self-fund are "hardly any" is a load of BS!

I hope their official rep account on here will pop up to give a more honest view of this point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I think your post is a little confusing. Are you saying UoL is saying very few self fund or very few secure a TC before starting the GDL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right. I'll edit the question.

What UOL have told me is that hardly any of their students secure TCs before commencing the GDL.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawyer20)
    You're right. I'll edit the question.

What UOL have told me is that hardly any of their students secure TCs before commencing the GDL.
    See my amended post above!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    See my amended post above!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! That's very interesting.

I went to an open day over Christmas and two of the tutors told me that hardly any of their students had a TC before the GDL. Two of the students also said that in a class of twenty GDL students, only two of them had one as well.

I was told the same information at the law fair and at various UOL events I have attended over the course of the year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That's very interesting.

I went to an open day over Christmas and two of the tutors told me that hardly any of their students had a TC before the GDL. Two of the students also said that in a class of twenty GDL students, only two of them had one as well.

I was told the same information at the law fair and at various UOL events I have attended over the course of the year.
    I suspect it depends on the class and the location of the open day/UoL location. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other classes where I the overwhelming majority of people are those who have secured a TC before hand.

The UoL have lost a few corporate clients of late though, so maybe their figures are lower than say BPPs.

From my experience, I would say that on average a firm takes about 40-50% non-law trainees. And of that 40%, 60-75% will be those non-law prospective trainees who secured their TC before starting the GDL course. At all the firms I worked for, those trainees were either studying at BPP or UoL. However, I only worked for firms that sponsored the GDL and therefore we possibly got a higher number of people applying who were pre-GDL compared to other firms.

They could also be using misleading information. Many students sign up to the GDL of their own accord up to 12 months before the course starts. They then secure a TC during the time between signing up and starting, and then just get their fees reimbursed by the firm, even though they as a student pay the institution.

My personal advice on this matter is there is no right or wrong approach to whether you sign up to the GDL or not. Many people get recruited through either decision. It is a personal decision rather than a career decision, and I think you have to weigh up your application/experience/academics/finances and work out whether it is right for you or not. There is not one route that will work better than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I suspect it depends on the class and the location of the open day/UoL location. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other classes where I the overwhelming majority of people are those who have secured a TC before hand.

The UoL have lost a few corporate clients of late though, so maybe their figures are lower than say BPPs.

From my experience, I would say that on average a firm takes about 40-50% non-law trainees. And of that 40%, 60-75% will be those non-law prospective trainees who secured their TC before starting the GDL course. At all the firms I worked for, those trainees were either studying at BPP or UoL. However, I only worked for firms that sponsored the GDL and therefore we possibly got a higher number of people applying who were pre-GDL compared to other firms.

They could also be using misleading information. Many students sign up to the GDL of their own accord up to 12 months before the course starts. They then secure a TC during the time between signing up and starting, and then just get their fees reimbursed by the firm, even though they as a student pay the institution.

My personal advice on this matter is there is no right or wrong approach to whether you sign up to the GDL or not. Many people get recruited through either decision. It is a personal decision rather than a career decision, and I think you have to weigh up your application/experience/academics/finances and work out whether it is right for you or not. There is not one route that will work better than the other.
    Thanks for your very helpful advice, as usual!

I guess it does just end up being a personal decision based on whether you feel confident enough that you will eventually get a TC. I think I will do the GDL regardless of whether I get a TC this year but I was just curious to know whether that was the norm.

ReputationRep:
    My own experience from doing a GDL at the U of L was - out of my class of around 20 ish, 2 had already got TCs. I also remember from one of the first sessions where half of all the intake was together in the lecture theatre, the tutors asked for a show of hands as to who had got a TC - the vast majority had not.

I do not know whether these figures reflect across the intake as a whole and I do not know where they fit in their corporate clients, for they surely have many.

Either way, there are PLENTY of students who do not have a TC when they begin a GDL - at any provider, I would think. Please consider carefully how hard you are willing to work to get a TC and look at the way the legal profession is developing, so that you go in to it with your eyes open. But if you do, you will be in good company.

Hope you do well.

This might not apply to everyone as I'm assuming there are at least a few graduates on here who might have started law school already.

My question is: would you start the GDL without securing a TC?

I have asked several people at the University of Law how many students have secured a TC prior to commencing the GDL and they always give the same answer: hardly any.

My worry is that this is what they're are bound to say, given that they're are business and want as many people to enrol on their course as possible. Is there any truth in what they're saying? Do you think most people secure a TC during their GDL year (assuming their a non-law graduate of course)?

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    My own experience from doing a GDL at the U of L was - out of my class of around 20 ish, 2 had already got TCs. I also remember from one of the first sessions where half of all the intake was together in the lecture theatre, the tutors asked for a show of hands as to who had got a TC - the vast majority had not.

I do not know whether these figures reflect across the intake as a whole and I do not know where they fit in their corporate clients, for they surely have many.

Either way, there are PLENTY of students who do not have a TC when they begin a GDL - at any provider, I would think. Please consider carefully how hard you are willing to work to get a TC and look at the way the legal profession is developing, so that you go in to it with your eyes open. But if you do, you will be in good company.

Hope you do well.
    Thanks very much your advice that was very helpful.

I am working hard to secure a TC this year prior to starting - I've got several interviews coming up so I think I'm on the right track! But it's nice to know if I don't end up getting lucky this year, that I won't be the only one!

ReputationRep:
    My on-the-spot opinion is that if you are already getting IVs and you continue to work hard; gain more experience at both the IV process and legal and other work ex/ECs, then you will get a TC.

I say this because you are already getting IVs; if you continue to get IVs then one of them will convert into a TC. Fact (OK nearly a fact).

In a way, the trick is to get yourself into the running with the IVs - once you do that, the odds are a lot better and you will improve and learn massively from the IV process

So do not be downhearted if you do not get the TC on these IVs, (do not mean to jinx) because you will use the experience and get another.

So cool! All good.-

QUOTE=Aspiringlawyer20;62180101]Thanks very much your advice that was very helpful.

I am working hard to secure a TC this year prior to starting - I've got several interviews coming up so I think I'm on the right track! But it's nice to know if I don't end up getting lucky this year, that I won't be the only one![/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    My on-the-spot opinion is that if you are already getting IVs and you continue to work hard; gain more experience at both the IV process and legal and other work ex/ECs, then you will get a TC.

I say this because you are already getting IVs; if you continue to get IVs then one of them will convert into a TC. Fact (OK nearly a fact).

In a way, the trick is to get yourself into the running with the IVs - once you do that, the odds are a lot better and you will improve and learn massively from the IV process

So do not be downhearted if you do not get the TC on these IVs, (do not mean to jinx) because you will use the experience and get another.

So cool! All good.-
    Thanks for your encouragement!

I think you're right. I've learnt a lot (hopefully!) from the ACs/video interviews/telephone interviews that I have done already so hopefully I can avoid the mistakes I made previously and really nail one of these upcoming interviews.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.