Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Organic equations... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any good ways of learning all the organic equations needed for edexcel 4 & 5? Maybe also the inorganic ones in topic 4?
    Even if we listed em on the thread or something, i dunno! I'm just lost!

ReputationRep:
    I just wrote them out over and over again, trying not to look them up each time, until I knew them... either that or you could just remember the mechanisms and then balance the equation from there. And for remembering the mechanisms, a giant web linking all the organic molecules works well.

ReputationRep:
    well i dont think they are that hard, alot just dont get asked on like the a/s stuff, paper 4 and 5 will be probbaly grignard stuff , tbh if u learn the a2 reactions u should be fine

paper 5 WILL DEFINTELY have a benzene reaction or mechanism., i just remember that there are 10 reactiosn of benzene and its derivatives to learn, and then i can remember all the ten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    well i dont think they are that hard, alot just dont get asked on like the a/s stuff, paper 4 and 5 will be probbaly grignard stuff , tbh if u learn the a2 reactions u should be fine

paper 5 WILL DEFINTELY have a benzene reaction or mechanism., i just remember that there are 10 reactiosn of benzene and its derivatives to learn, and then i can remember all the ten.

well i know the as ones anyway coz ive just done a retake for unit 2.. its ust learning all those damn A2 ones. grrrr, in all of, um, 2 days.

ReputationRep:
    the papers are on thursday, uve got 3 days, u should be able to get them by then!

ReputationRep:
    nah coz ive got biology on tuesday morning so im learning bio until then really- except tonight when im gonig to attempt to do chem..
    cramming really is my speciality

ReputationRep:
    oh right, just remember the easy things like for reactions of haloalkanes its pretty much all Nuc Sub

and grignards are pretty easy aswell, just remembr the reagents can only be methanal, other aldehydes, ketones and carb acids, oh and water

and dont forget to add the acid for hydrolysis, alot of ppl forget it

ReputationRep:
    just learnt grignards during the football so at least thats a start. Gunna go to bed now and wake up early to learn some more organic while im in the right frame of mind. Then ill just start trailing through my biology!
    NITE!

ReputationRep:
    try writing them on tiny bits of card, with the equation on one side and the reagents and conditions on the other. then you can easily test yourself and the equations should jog your memory.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.