Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does my doctor gave me antibiotic for viral infection? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted to know you should have asked the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harinimnida)
    Biology degree =/= Medical degree and GMC registration
    Someone studying GCSE biology could tell you that a. antibiotics don't - surprise! - kill viruses and b. giving antibiotics when they're not needed contributes to antibiotic resistance.

ReputationRep:
    I got antibiotics for a viral infection a few weeks ago too OP but it's okay antibiotic resistant bacteria has been found in the UK already so it won't make much difference

I don't know how it would help your viral infection though but I aint no doctor :3 ask them next time you see them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    I got antibiotics for a viral infection a few weeks ago too OP but it's okay antibiotic resistant bacteria has been found in the UK already so it won't make much difference

I don't know how it would help your viral infection though but I aint no doctor :3 ask them next time you see them
    ...that's now how it works....that's not how it works at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    ...that's now how it works....that's not how it works at all.

Spoiler:
    Show
    i know i was trying to be funny :getmecoat:

i'll show my self out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i know i was trying to be funny :getmecoat:

i'll show my self out
    Thank god, I thought you were being serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Thank god, I thought you were being serious.
    No my A2 biology teacher would kill me X'D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    Because my biology degree has taught me absolutely nothing about this topic, this is of course coming from a place of complete ignorance :rolleyes:
    Ohhhh so you have a biology degree

So that enables you to know what happened in this consultation?
    And why the GP chose to prescribe antibiotics?
    When even the person in the consultation says they don't now what happened and didn't hear half of it?

BUT you, because of your biology degree (Well done for that btw), are able to extrapolate from a he said she might of said story to -- GP doesn't care about/know about abx resistance?

You're also able to understand exactly how unwell this person was, what the GP found on examination which hasn't been mentioned here, and therefore the risk-benefit of antibiotics vs no antibiotics given you cannot be certain whether it's viral or not viral.

I wish I had your distant omnipresent powers of the mind. Maybe I should have done a 'biology degree'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    Someone studying GCSE biology could tell you that a. antibiotics don't - surprise! - kill viruses and b. giving antibiotics when they're not needed contributes to antibiotic resistance.
    just to follow up on this - how do you know they weren't needed?

\even the OP says he can't remember half of what was said but you know exactly what was said and the GPs rationale?

ReputationRep:
    Biology students should stick to plants. Leave the prescribing to the doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    i fell sick with high fever, dragged my feet to visit a doctor while feeling toasted and dizzy. Doctor said its a viral infection, and will prescribe me antibiotic, but ....isn't antibiotic uselss against virus? I didn't ask the doctor when i was there because i was half dead and can't think straight.
    why is your profile picture of Anjem??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    #youAintNoDoctorBruv

X'D
    Spoiler:
    Show
    jk jk don't kill me
    loooool

ReputationRep:
    Overprescribing of antibiotics is a big problem. Primarily in the developing world but also here.

Putting antibiotics in animal feed just because it makes them grow slightly faster is a bigger problem.

And one that would be much easier to solve. Telling doctors not to prescribe antibiotics is all well and good, but sometimes it's hard to tell. You're not going to stop it happening. Whereas making it illegal to use antibiotics in cattle feed. .. problem solved overnight. How had it not been done already.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine your GP was:

A) Uncertain that this was in fact a viral infection - ruling out bacterial
    B) Reducing patient numbers by preventing you from coming back due to coverall approach
    C) Anticipated that you might demand antibiotics
    D) Jaded and/or fatigued after a long day/week/particularly trying previous consultation

Some or all of the above,

(Original post by HucktheForde)
    i fell sick with high fever, dragged my feet to visit a doctor while feeling toasted and dizzy. Doctor said its a viral infection, and will prescribe me antibiotic, but ....isn't antibiotic uselss against virus? I didn't ask the doctor when i was there because i was half dead and can't think straight.
    Are you sure they said it was viral? If you're unsure then call up the surgery and check. They could have done it for various reasons, but it does sound a bit suspicious.
    I'd keep taking them for now but try to get an answer. No use being on drugs you don't need to be on especially when it can make you rseistant in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haprybeingright)
    Ohhhh so you have a biology degree

So that enables you to know what happened in this consultation?
    And why the GP chose to prescribe antibiotics?
    When even the person in the consultation says they don't now what happened and didn't hear half of it?

BUT you, because of your biology degree (Well done for that btw), are able to extrapolate from a he said she might of said story to -- GP doesn't care about/know about abx resistance?

You're also able to understand exactly how unwell this person was, what the GP found on examination which hasn't been mentioned here, and therefore the risk-benefit of antibiotics vs no antibiotics given you cannot be certain whether it's viral or not viral.

I wish I had your distant omnipresent powers of the mind. Maybe I should have done a 'biology degree'.
    Maybe because OP said they had a virus and GP said they were going to prescribe them antibiotics anyway? Maybe? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    OP, the only person who can tell you why they've prescribed you antibiotics for your infection is the doctor who prescribed them to you. Speak to them if you want to find out why they've given them to you when you think you've got a viral infection, there may be a simple explanation as to why they've done this.

Don't stop taking your medication until you've finished the course or your doctor tells you otherwise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.