The Student Room Group

British people are proud of colonialism and the British Empire, poll finds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
What are you comparing it with? For example, how would Africa have developed without European colonialism?

Africa would have developed just as good if not better without Europe. History has shown and proven some African countries were further ahead that most European ones. And were even responsible for the education of some of the brightest ie Plato and Aristotle and the like.
Original post by the bear
Ma'am i beg to disagree. We did not take anything. We entered into a mutually beneficial relationship with unfortunate people.

Whatever, it got completely out of hand. I don't know why your under the impression that everything was "better off" under British rule. It wasn't.

How can you be proud of something like this?

[video="youtube;N7t3_9G6X70"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7t3_9G6X70[/video]

Yes, God save the ****ing Queen. :colonhash:
Original post by HucktheForde
And they were right. The empire sparked the first world war. No empire and free trade is much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Th only difference in the cold war was 'empire by proxy'. Instead of direct rule like the USSR and USA largely put the leaders in charge that would bend over for them and assassinated anybody that would not.

You may view that as better but the only real difference was a flag change. Hell, Africa is poor today because many nations embraced the Soviets and not the markets like the Asian Tigers,
Original post by Chateaudee
The people were feeding themselves quite fine before.The British, like all the other colonial masters, just felt that it was there right to impose their ideologies on others.

you say "impose their ideologies"... i say "generously share the benefits of civilization and Christianity"....
Most countries histories are filled with atrocities tbh.. If other countries were in the same position I assume they would have done similar things
We provided benighted peoples with the benefits of our great culture and Christian values. they should be grateful.

This is the funniest thing I have read in all my life. If this thought makes you sleep better at night then go right ahead. Introducing people to culture and values is one thing. Raping their women and killing the men and children all because you want what their land can produce is a totally different ball game. The wealth of the British empire and many of the other colonial masters was generated on the backs of slaves that they treated like lesser than human persons. They killed millions all because of greed. Don't get me wrong, I am christian, but it is the way that Christianity was imposed and the way the bible was twisted by the British to get their way is what has caused a lot of persons to now turn away from Christianity because they see it as the religion of "massa". My country was one of the last to be colonized and have slavery imposed. When the British came here, they met thousands of natives and because they wanted the land for sugar production, they fought the natives, killing most and exiling the others so that they could bring African slaves to plant sugar cane to send get wealthy.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Whatever, it got completely out of hand. I don't know why your under the impression that everything was "better off" under British rule. It wasn't.

How can you be proud of something like this?

[video="youtube;N7t3_9G6X70"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7t3_9G6X70[/video]

Yes, God save the ****ing Queen. :colonhash:

those unfortunate people were photographed at the end, when our Empire was being dismantled by troublemakers. in the heyday we ran the Empire with humanity to the mutual benefit of the natives and ourselves.
you say "impose their ideologies"... i say "generously share the benefits of civilization and Christianity"....

That wasn't anyone's decision to make but their own. Who generously shared the benefits of civilization and Christianity with the British? And who told the British the people wanted to be Christians?
Original post by EtherealNymph22
And Britain isn't rich because of the empire and colonialism?

The British governments/forces 'ruling' Kenya doesn't mean they as individuals don't like Kenyans in Kenya. I'm talking about individuals who are proud of colonialism and the Empire probably being those who believe that we should keep migrants and refugees out. Individuals are different from governments.

No. Britain is rich because it's cultural values are superior at fostering monetary prosperity and more to the point, we were already rich for the time by the time empire became a thing. At best, it was the icing on the cake.

It was "handed" over because the lands had become empty due to the constant "raping" and then it was becoming increasing expensive to maintain these colonies.

That may be true for crops but the mineral wealth still sat in Africa and other former colonies far exceeds what we took. Empire was always expensive but that's yet another argument as to why we should have evolved the empire and forced our values on them in the same way that the Welsh are about as English as anybody from Yorkshire.

Original post by MountKimbie
You are scary..

Perhaps but i'm far from a violent person so think of those who are. All i'm saying is that if most people are given the choice between firing a missile that will kill everybody in Chad or shooting their child, 99.999% will fire the missile without hesitation.

Human nature is to protect your own at the expense of others.
those unfortunate people were photographed at the end, when our Empire was being dismantled by troublemakers. in the heyday we ran the Empire with humanity to the mutual benefit of the natives and ourselves.

Please wake up and go research and find the facts. The British empire was one of the most deadly in all of history filled with greed and wickedness.
Well now, there's a new form of Imperialism on the block - one that already had its roots in post war times.

Bs

Do you believe that yourself? That the British empire or just anyone would volunteer to take over a country with no self interest in mind? I wonder how capitalist is that

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 92
Brits should be proud of our history
Original post by Rakas21

Lol the difference between humans and animals is a conscience. And there is a difference between protecting your own and exploitation of others.

Lol you're delusional. There is no helping you XD
Original post by Rakas21

Perhaps but i'm far from a violent person so think of those who are. All i'm saying is that if most people are given the choice between firing a missile that will kill everybody in Chad or shooting their child, 99.999% will fire the missile without hesitation.

I can see where you are coming from. And although I would counter with 'well nobody has been forced to make that decision', but then I thought about it and people have been ordered to join extremist groups that carry out terror attacks otherwise their family executed, so it's similar...
Reply 96
Original post by TheArtofProtest
What kind of undertaking would you have been proud of?
One that I was able to be proud of, due to the nature of the undertaking, within the context of the restrictions placed on that undertaking in relation to the situation in which it took place.
Even if it sat there and rot, let it sit there and rot! Unless the natives asked for assistance, like what they are capable of doing today, no one should force themselves in to take what was never theirs. Let the natives decide. All the colonial powers came in and got rich off of things that did not belong to them and left the countries poorer than they met them.
The people were feeding themselves quite fine before.The British, like all the other colonial masters, just felt that it was there right to impose their ideologies on others.

I suggest your understanding of African history between about 1000 and 1500 (i.e. before we arrived) is poor. Africans were largely a bunch of tribes at war and then middle age like Feithdoms. Sub-Saharan Africa was always primitive (though you largely have geography to blame for that).

Africa would have developed just as good if not better without Europe. History has shown and proven some African countries were further ahead that most European ones. And were even responsible for the education of some of the brightest ie Plato and Aristotle and the like.

I think we should distinguish between the Arab World (which has history strongly linked to Europe) and Sub-Saharan Africa. The Arab World would have probably been little different except a bit stronger and more expansive without European Empire (though ironically, it was an Ottoman Empire so hardly not like us). Sub-Saharan Africa however would have still been centuries behind the rest of the world, it would have still been cut off from the world by the seas and the Sahara and if we never arrived to trade it's hard to see why it would suddenly take a leap forward in it's economy or technology so as to validate your vision of a rich no-imperial Africa.

The likelihood is that the richer and more civilized Arabs would have conquered sub-Saharan Africa and you'd still be slaves today given their slave trade never ended.
Reply 99
I think it's pretty cool.
Shows that even though we're from a tiny rock in the middle of the ocean, collectively we can go out there and kick the rest of the world flat on their arse if we needed to. It's quite reassuring in some respects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending