Oscars

Watch
Bigdobber
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What's all the fuss about oscar nominations could it not just be the people nominated are just better actors,or are we going to have a new ceremony O.O.B.O.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a farce. People just jumping on the bandwagon. Majority of actors are white, so why is it hard to fathom that they'd be in the majority of nominees? we've had Indian winners, black in the past. So if there isn't any ethnics t nominate, should they just thrown in a few to stop the facial 'outrage' It's stupid.
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
It's a farce. People just jumping on the bandwagon. Majority of actors are white, so why is it hard to fathom that they'd be in the majority of nominees? we've had Indian winners, black in the past. So if there isn't any ethnics t nominate, should they just thrown in a few to stop the facial 'outrage' It's stupid.
And that's exactly the problem there should be more diversity in the casting choices of films so that 90% of movie actors are not white.

Pushing the systemic racism in Hollywood which is preventing black actors from being recruited onto the big A-list movies aside. We have Compton, we have concussion, we have creed, we have Beasts of no Nation and we have Chi-Raq. All were excellent films all of them were successful in the box office especially Compton which had not only hordes of black people going to see it but many white people too across the whole globe. All of them were deserving of nominations.

There is amazing black talent that is being overlooked because of prejudice, because of racism, because of white privilege and finally because of nepotism.

It's not even exclusively a black issue, other minority groups were also overlooked. This is the second year in a row that black actors were snubbed. Something has to absolutely change.

To ignore this issue and brush it off as black people being poor sports and sore losers is ignorant and ridiculous in and of itself.

To have an entire demographic erased from Hollywood during the biggest award show is an insult and disrespectful to people of colour who make up 49% of movie goers.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
And that's exactly the problem there should be more diversity in the casting choices of films so that 90% of movie actors are not white.

Pushing the systemic racism in Hollywood which is preventing black actors from being recruited onto the big A-list movies aside. We have Compton, we have concussion, we have creed, we have Beasts of no Nation and we have Chi-Raq. All were excellent films all of them were successful in the box office especially Compton which had not only hordes of black people going to see it but many white people too across the whole globe. All of them were deserving of nominations.

There is amazing black talent that is being overlooked because of prejudice, because of racism, because of white privilege and finally because of nepotism.

It's not even exclusively a black issue, other minority groups were also overlooked. This is the second year in a row that black actors were snubbed. Something has to absolutely change.

To ignore this issue and brush it off as black people being poor sports and sore losers is ignorant and ridiculous in and of itself.

To have an entire demographic erased from Hollywood during the biggest award show is an insult and disrespectful to people of colour who make up 49% of movie goers.
Why just the blacks then? why not South Asians, Hispanics, East Asian, Native Indians? the BET awards are supposed to be for all ethnicities yet the majority are won by blacks?
Ethereal World
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't think of one minority actor that should have been nominated in any of the categories above the actors who were. Potentially Samuel L Jackson for hateful eight but it's really quite hard to displace the nominees as their performances are really strong. I'm sure black people don't want 'pity nominations'. If I was an ethnic minority I would want to be nominated because I'm s**t-hot, not because I'm black/Hispanic etc. If anyone can think of a minority person for any of these categories who was better than any one of the nominations then please feel free to pipe up- I haven't watched ALL films.
The oscar nominations are a symptom of the issue. Not the problem. People are getting angry about it but these same people should have been getting angry about the inherent racism in cinema generally. That is the cause. If big films are predominantly using white actors then it's obvious that the nominations will skew in that way.
I think people are angry because this is more of a representation of the racism but they need to actually think about how the system will change. Creating a demand for more ethnic minority representation would be a good start, not just crying about all white nominations.
I think TV is way ahead of film in this respect which is why all the big Emmy female gongs went to minority women- and that was a big deal at the time. Award shows have to to nominate and award the best people and it should be irrelevant what colour skin they have.
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Why just the blacks then? why not South Asians, Hispanics, East Asian, Native Indians? the BET awards are supposed to be for all ethnicities yet the majority are won by blacks?
The BET awards are not exclusively awarded to black people there's a history of the BET awards being given to white artists. One that stands out in recent memory is the Sam Smith who won for best song - the biggest award - but failed to turn up to pick up his award in what shows as people's contempt for awards given by black owned organisations.

So that's a complete myth that BET awards are just for black people.
Sgt_Haytham
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
The BET awards are not exclusively awarded to black people there's a history of the BET awards being given to white artists. One that stands out in recent memory is the Sam Smith who won for best song - the biggest award - but failed to turn up to pick up his award in what shows as people's contempt for awards given by black owned organisations.

So that's a complete myth that BET awards are just for black people.

How absurd.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads