Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you think anything about a this type of woman who didnt have kids? Watch

Announcements

What do people honestly think of women (and men) who dont want children? If you knew a women in her 50's with no kids who was a gym rat and worked on her body lifting what would you think of her? Would you be less likely to date her (obviously if you were similar age to her) due to her having no kids and being self focused?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't want kids either so I understand why people choose not to have kids so I wouldn't think any different of her. If she couldn't have kids but wanted them, then that would be very sad and I would feel for her. I would happily date someone who didn't have or wanted kids. I couldn't be with anyone who did want or have them already anyway. I wouldn't find the gym type body hot on a guy or a girl but if that is what they liked then that is all that matters and I would admire their dedication to keeping their figure and being self focused.

ReputationRep:
    There's a rather large assumption here which is that woman who is self focused and a gym rat decided actively not to have kids ? Perhaps she couldn't have kids, and went through heartbreak trying to conceive and failed relationships. Perhaps the self focus is because she had to find her own purpose and 'thing' to put energy into to distract her from the pain of not being able to reproduce. I'm pretty sure your question is hypothetical and of course there are people who choose not to have kids and that's their decision. I'm merely trying to point out that just because someone doesn't have kids in their 50s it doesn't mean they didn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    It's a non-issue; a 50 year old woman can't have children, so it's irrelevant whether she wants them in the future.

(Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    I'm merely trying to point out that just because someone doesn't have kids in their 50s it doesn't mean they didn't want to.
    Yea everyone knows that but im asking about the situation where she didnt want them/chose not to.

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I don't want kids either so I understand why people choose not to have kids so I wouldn't think any different of her. If she couldn't have kids but wanted them, then that would be very sad and I would feel for her. I would happily date someone who didn't have or wanted kids. I couldn't be with anyone who did want or have them already anyway. I wouldn't find the gym type body hot on a guy or a girl but if that is what they liked then that is all that matters and I would admire their dedication to keeping their figure and being self focused.
    ok cool thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yea everyone knows that but im asking about the situation where she didnt want them/chose not to.
    True. Why are you posting anonymously on this anyway?

I think it's that your conflating the point that people who choose not to have kids must be inherently selfish.

ReputationRep:
    Some people just don't want kids, and that's perfectly okay.

True. Why are you posting anonymously on this anyway?

I think it's that your conflating the point that people who choose not to have kids must be inherently selfish.
    After your longish post on not making assumptions you go and assume this in your head. Be careful what you think as you are wrong. Im actually a woman who doesnt want kids when older.

ReputationRep:
    After your longish post on not making assumptions you go and assume this in your head. Be careful what you think as you are wrong. Im actually a woman who doesnt want kids when older.
    But why are you ashamed of not wanting kids ? Why should that be something you have to be anonymous about? It's your decision.

But why are you ashamed of not wanting kids ? Why should that be something you have to be anonymous about? It's your decision.
    Not ashamed but just worried that people might think 'failure', think im odd or feel pity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a woman here; I'm more concerned why you feel the need to be anon about this decision than a 50 year old in the gym with no kids tbf

ReputationRep:
    Not ashamed but just worried that people might think 'failure', think im odd or feel pity.
    I hope we didn't get off on the wrong foot and I'm sorry if I sounded abrasive. I think that if this is your decision you should start to be open about it. This is especially important in any relationships you may get into over the next decade (or so). I completely respect that you don't want to have kids. But you shouldn't hide because of what some people might think or say- whatever our life decisions people will always judge. Plus this is only the Internet....

ReputationRep:
    What is there to think? Just personal choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'd respect her. I'm not the kind of person to stick his nose where it doesn't belong. How she chooses to lead her life is none of my business. I don't care about what direction she chooses to take in her life, that's her business. I wouldn't think anything of it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it's really none of my business. I simply wouldn't care

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.