Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many students are admitted into the Illustration pathway each year?

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know...the photography programme at RCA is oversubscribed. I am in the first year of the programme, we have 40 students. 2nd year has 20 students. They are going to add 20 more students to the first year coming in the fall - total will be 80 students. Current situation is dismal. Not enough studio time, equipment available or tutor time. RCA is banking on reputation to enlist more students, increase enrollment and tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truth2016)
    Just so you know...the photography programme at RCA is oversubscribed. I am in the first year of the programme, we have 40 students. 2nd year has 20 students. They are going to add 20 more students to the first year coming in the fall - total will be 80 students. Current situation is dismal. Not enough studio time, equipment available or tutor time. RCA is banking on reputation to enlist more students, increase enrollment and tuition fees.
    Hi, is this situation only happening in Photography programme? Or it's about all of the programmes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Chung)
    Hi, is this situation only happening in Photography programme? Or it's about all of the programmes?
    All programmes....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha Rose)
    Hello,

I have applied to the RCA for MA Photography for Sept 2016 entry. Heard back 2 days ago that I have got an interview at the end of this month! Anyone else applied for Photography?
    Hello,

I have applied to the RCA for MA Photography for Sept 2016 entry. Heard back 2 days ago that I have got an interview at the end of this month! Anyone else applied for Photography?
    I think you should be aware the RCA photography programme is oversubscribed. I am in first year - 40 in first year and 20 in second year. They plan to increase the number of students to 80 in Sept. Already not enough studio time, equipment or tutor time. RCA is using reputation to increase number of students (tuition fees) across all programmes. If you pay international fees - you will have an offer of placement.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be aware the RCA photography programme is oversubscribed. I am in first year - 40 in first year and 20 in second year. They plan to increase the number of students to 80 in Sept. Already not enough studio time, equipment or tutor time. RCA is using reputation to increase number of students (tuition fees) across all programmes. If you pay international fees - you will have an offer of placement.
    Excuse me, do you mean that international students are much more likely to be accepted than before in all programmes?
    Have you heard the complaint from other programmes' students?
    Thanks for telling us the truth haha, I totally don't know the situation so far.
    It's not a good phenomenon for art school...

ReputationRep:
    I have been made aware of this by 3 other current students on the photography programme prior to yourself and it really has been concerning me. I am not an international student, but it will still be a really big decision/move for me to take up my offer in September.

Is the school doing anything to combat the lack of facilities to student ratio and addressing the complaints at all? Or no?

Would it be at all worthwhile for me to address this concern to the school directly?

And if you had known this prior to taking up your offer, would you have gone elsewhere?

Sorry for all the questions, RCA is my first choice school and all this has got me rather worried!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have been made aware of this by 3 other current students on the photography programme prior to yourself and it really has been concerning me. I am not an international student, but it will still be a really big decision/move for me to take up my offer in September.

Is the school doing anything to combat the lack of facilities to student ratio and addressing the complaints at all? Or no?

Would it be at all worthwhile for me to address this concern to the school directly?

And if you had known this prior to taking up your offer, would you have gone elsewhere?

Sorry for all the questions, RCA is my first choice school and all this has got me rather worried!

Thanks
    If I had known all this prior to taking up offer, yes I would have gone elsewhere. RCA has been a top choice for a lot of people, unfortunately the school is cannibalising its reputation by making these choices. Nothing is being done to combat lack of facilities/tutor time to student ratio, and next year will be even worse. So the result will inevitably be a downgraded reputation and receiving an MA will not have the same merit as previous years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Chung)
    Excuse me, do you mean that international students are much more likely to be accepted than before in all programmes?
    Have you heard the complaint from other programmes' students?
    Thanks for telling us the truth haha, I totally don't know the situation so far.
    It's not a good phenomenon for art school...
    Yes, international students will almost all be accepted because they pay higher tuition fees. The people doing interviews are saying this to everyone involved in the process.

ReputationRep:
    If I had known all this prior to taking up offer, yes I would have gone elsewhere. RCA has been a top choice for a lot of people, unfortunately the school is cannibalising its reputation by making these choices. Nothing is being done to combat lack of facilities/tutor time to student ratio, and next year will be even worse. So the result will inevitably be a downgraded reputation and receiving an MA will not have the same merit as previous years.
    Well, it sounds like a terrible move on the schools behalf. I voiced this concern to my current head of year and she suggested applying to the RA instead next year (as I didn't apply there this year and the deadline has long passed). However I really don't want to take a year out between my studies at BA level and MA level (for personal reasons).

This really does present me with quite some confusion, as it is so important to be on the right programme at the right school for progression.

Although I am very happy with where I study now, and although we have a lot of facilities and seven studios. It is still often a struggle to access things, especially the studio spaces and I had hoped this wouldn't be such a problem at my next level of education...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roll no. 47)
    Hi
    i got a place offered at ma photography but have not received the formal offer letter
    did any of you got 1 form RCA?
    Just so you know...the photography programme at RCA is oversubscribed. I am in the first year of the programme, we have 40 students. 2nd year has 20 students. They are going to add 20 more students to the first year coming in the fall - total will be 80 students. Current situation is dismal. Not enough studio time, equipment available or tutor time. RCA is banking on reputation to enlist more students, increase enrollment and tuition fees. It's all about the money.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it sounds like a terrible move on the schools behalf. I voiced this concern to my current head of year and she suggested applying to the RA instead next year (as I didn't apply there this year and the deadline has long passed). However I really don't want to take a year out between my studies at BA level and MA level (for personal reasons).

This really does present me with quite some confusion, as it is so important to be on the right programme at the right school for progression.

Although I am very happy with where I study now, and although we have a lot of facilities and seven studios. It is still often a struggle to access things, especially the studio spaces and I had hoped this wouldn't be such a problem at my next level of education...
    There are only four studios in RCA MA Photography. One is always used for meetings, talks, etc. So, that leaves three studios - now being shared among 60 people. Imagine three studios for 80 people next year. Same problem with equipment. And tutors. Not enough of anything for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    There are only four studios in RCA MA Photography. One is always used for meetings, talks, etc. So, that leaves three studios - now being shared among 60 people. Imagine three studios for 80 people next year. Same problem with equipment. And tutors. Not enough of anything for anyone.
    How much contact time are you currently getting with tutors etc with the 60 of you?

ReputationRep:
    A tutor is assigned to each student for the first year, and appointments of 40 minutes are scheduled with that tutor twice during a term. They have no time available for anything other than that, and will not book appointments or have short conversations about work outside of tutorials. If you have to reschedule a tutorial with your tutor for some reason, it is just cancelled, not rescheduled. There are other tutorials available though - through visiting artists and cross school groups.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I'm not the only one worrying. I've been checking this forum every day to see if anyone heard word for fashion womenswear 😩

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasol)
    Thank God I'm not the only one worrying. I've been checking this forum every day to see if anyone heard word for fashion womenswear 😩
    My God. I was almost giving up waiting the result for fashion womenswear. What is wrong with them? It's been a month after official day for original announcement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se_in)
    My God. I was almost giving up waiting the result for fashion womenswear. What is wrong with them? It's been a month after official day for original announcement.
    Have you contacted them?
    I have received the letter from the department I applied that RCA will send official offer letters at 23/3 and almost interviews have already finished.Thus I think there is no reason that fashion womenswear will delay such a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichsu)
    Have you contacted them?
    I have received the letter from the department I applied that RCA will send official offer letters at 23/3 and almost interviews have already finished.Thus I think there is no reason that fashion womenswear will delay such a long time.
    I'm in a similar situation, submitted my application for priority way back in January. I called on February after i didn't receive word and they said I would hear within a week. Fast forward a month later, I called last week and they said again, I should hear within a week.
    Also judging from this forum i don't think anyone in Fashion has heard any news yet.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who applied after the priority deadline has passed? Do you know if our chance to get in is almost nonexistent or not? I've applied for Design Products and Design Interactions.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from painting?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.