The Student Room Group

How to stop getting a U in AS Biology?

I understand the subject content and go directly off the specification in order to guide my study, and I am receiving high A's in my other three subjects, however in Biology I am consistently getting U's despite putting in the effort, hours and work.

I am hoping to apply to Cambridge this year to do History, as I've been told I have the potential, however my U in Biology is a major draw-back and if I can't raise it I'll bitterly miss out any chances.

I regret not taking another essay subject, but if anybody has any tips for passing Biology with a high grade I would appreciate it. I understand the subject content and go directly off the specification in order to guide my study, and I am receiving high A's in my other three subjects, however in Biology I am consistently getting U's despite putting in the effort, hours and work.

I am hoping to apply to Cambridge this year to do History, as I've been told I have the potential, however my U in Biology is a major draw-back and if I can't raise it I'll bitterly miss out any chances.

I regret not taking another essay subject, but if anybody has any tips for passing Biology with a high grade I would appreciate it. I understand the subject content and go directly off the specification in order to guide my study, and I am receiving high A's in my other three subjects, however in Biology I am consistently getting U's despite putting in the effort, hours and work.

I regret not taking another essay subject, but if anybody has any tips for passing Biology with a high grade I would appreciate it.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I understand the subject content and go directly off the specification in order to guide my study, and I am receiving high A's in my other three subjects, however in Biology I am consistently getting U's despite putting in the effort, hours and work.

I regret not taking another essay subject, but if anybody has any tips for passing Biology with a high grade I would appreciate it.

I don't do Biology, so hopefully this will bump your thread at the least. People who I've spoken to about Biology have said there is nothing difficult about Biology. It's just a contest to see who's got the best memory. So, maybe check out memrise.com
Reply 2
I don't know why you're getting Us because I did the same as you (work from the spec) and I got a high A (in the unit i revised for)

maybe it's understanding the question or not stating the obvious? because I know that in the 6 markers you could lose like 3 marks if you didn't say a bunch of obvious stuff

also keywords play a big part...

what are you struggling wit? do you understand the work?
If you understand all the content and can't apply it (like you say) you should not be getting a U.

It means you don't understand it at all and are just memorizing it.

I did AS Biology last year and got 94%, I found out that to get a A you just regurgitate the knowledge with some common sense.

Perhaps you need to develop a different way of thinking. I am doing A2 biology and economics. In my science subject i have to look at what the question is asking (what bit of the memorized textbook I should write down) and write down facts. In my essay subject (economics) I can waffle on about anything as long as it links and makes sense.

In biology you need to learn to identify what the question is asking for.
Recall it.
Write it down in context to the question with no bits missing, only using technical terms.

You can not 'imply' in biology like you can in an essay subject.
There is only one non subjective answer which they want to see for the marks (look at some markscemes)

For example, if a question was asking 'How are some cells adapted for efficient diffusion': (2 marks)
If I said:they have folds in the plasma membrane to increase SA for gaseous exchange.

What I said is right but would get no marks:
Not identified a type of cell/example
Although increased surface area is right implying that gaseous exchange is diffusion(which it is) is not allowed. I need to spell it out. You get the mark for linking a feature (I did say increased surface area) to the term diffusion.

They want:
Some cells, such as ones lining the walls of the proximal convoluted tubule have folds in the plasma membrane to increase the surface area for particles to diffuse across.

Mark one: example of cell(in bold) Valid example
Mark two:why the adaptation is effective for diffusion) I need to say diffusion and increased surface area.

Basically, learn the exam technique(easy/common sense after reading 2/3 mark schemes).
Spell everything out using key terms.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest