The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Digital portfolio UAL

Hello everyone.
I have applied for a fashion design course at LCF and pattern cutting as well, and I have been asked to submit a digital portfolio by February 1st in order to get to the next stage.

They're asking to highlight the following points:

-drawing/presentation skills
-fashion and cultural awareness
-level of research, exploration and experimentation
-3D awareness through product development or technical drawing
-sense of colour and texture
-technical competence
-design and materials selection
-and visual communication skills
-fabric and material selection/knowledge

Now, I am currently doing foundation in art and design and my tutors have not really helped me on building up a good portfolio and they keep leaving us pointless and time-consuming home works full of annotations and history of arts at less than 2 weeks from the deadline, so I reckon I should just work on my own not relying on them.

I wanted to ask how do I show through a digital portfolio my fashion and cultural awareness, especially when I have done close to none fashion during this year?
what about fabric and material selection? shall I just do one page full of fabric swatches with descriptions and photograph it?

Although I am not 100% sure I can cover all of these points, I think I can make something up, but my biggest concern is about not having enough fashion material to present, apart from my own totally personal and intimate experiments done outside school, will that be accepted as well?
Also, will the different files have to cohesive with each other and have like a theme or can they be just random pieces of my work?

Thanks,
Edd.
Hey, Ive applied for Fashion Textile Print at LCF and sent my digital portfolio off on Monday, they asked me for the exact same!
For fashion awareness I made sure I had some drawings with garments that i'd designed on them, talking about what fabric would work best and why etc. showing my knowledge through annotation.
And also based a few pages on cultural designs and writing about a specific culture beside it!
Hope this kind of helps,
Thea
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hello,

We can't give specific advice about portfolio building, but we do have a top tips video on our website which you can view here.
This page also covers questions frequently asked by prospective students.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application!
Reply 3
Thank you for your answers. I also wanted to ask if its good to put both womenswear and menswear examples in my portfolio even though i applied for a menswear course just because I am personally interested in both
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hello,

We can't give specific advice about portfolio building, but we do have a top tips video on our website which you can view here.
This page also covers questions frequently asked by prospective students.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application!

Hello! I have applied to the fashion design: womenswear course for 2016 entry at CSM, and still haven't heard anything since their email that they have received my application. I have checked that I definitely meet all of the entry requirements, and I was wondering if you could tell me when roughly csm send out their invites to upload the digital mini folios onto flickr? Or at least by what date I should contact them if they haven't responded? I applied as an individual so have absolutely no one to compare my application to!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by KarinaEvieB
Hello! I have applied to the fashion design: womenswear course for 2016 entry at CSM, and still haven't heard anything since their email that they have received my application. I have checked that I definitely meet all of the entry requirements, and I was wondering if you could tell me when roughly csm send out their invites to upload the digital mini folios onto flickr? Or at least by what date I should contact them if they haven't responded? I applied as an individual so have absolutely no one to compare my application to!

Thank you :smile:

Hi there,

All of our Colleges have different application processes and deadline dates, so unfortunately it's very hard for us to say when you should have received a decision by. There is plenty of information on your course page about the mini portfolio and some specific contact details if you have any questions for the CSM team.
There are also some great forums on here where you can chat to fellow prospective students who have applied to the same or similar courses.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!
Hey, I'm uploading my digital portfolio for CSM Graphic communication design now but I'm confused thether by '10 images' it means only 10 individual images - 1 per page, or am I allowed to group some sketchbook work and development with the final piece, collaged onto one page as one image? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by InnocentAngel
Hey, I'm uploading my digital portfolio for CSM Graphic communication design now but I'm confused thether by '10 images' it means only 10 individual images - 1 per page, or am I allowed to group some sketchbook work and development with the final piece, collaged onto one page as one image? Thanks

were you able to find out about this? thanks!!
Original post by InnocentAngel

I'm also applying for CSM Graphic Comms and a little confused about this too, let me know if you find out :smile:
I think the deadline is the 18th of Jan for Graphics at least.

Quick Reply

Latest