The Student Room Group

The IS Destroy Iraq's Oldest Christian Monastery

Satellite images confirm that the oldest Christian monastery in Iraq has been destroyed by the jihadist group Islamic State (IS).

St Elijah's stood on a hill near the northern city of Mosul for 1,400 years. But analysts said the images, obtained by the Associated Press, suggested it had been demolished in late 2014, soon after IS seized the city.

A Catholic priest from Mosul warned that its Christian history was "being barbarically levelled". "We see it as an attempt to expel us from Iraq, eliminating and finishing our existence in this land," said Father Paul Thabit Habib, who now lives in Kurdish-administered Irbil.

Source: BBC.

Tragic to see further loss of Iraq's rich and diverse history and culture. :frown:
Reply 1
Shame...
Original post by Zimz
Shame...

Elaborate? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lawyer12345
Elaborate? :smile:

It's sad that some folks are unable to peacefully practice their religion without destroying what others hold sacred.
Another tourist attraction that could bring in a lot of national wealth is gone. Shame...
Why??? :frown: ;(
Original post by Zimz
It's sad that some folks are unable to peacefully practice their religion without destroying what others hold sacred.
Another tourist attraction that could bring in a lot of national wealth is gone. Shame...

I agree.

It's so sad to see such historically/culturally significant monuments/buildings being destroyed. This is human culture that is being destroyed.
What do they even gain from destroying historic buildings and sites?! Just seems like a lot of effort to be annoying *****
the monastery was a monument to piety, charity and decency. all of the values which are anathema to the sex offender group calling themselves Isis.
Reply 8
Original post by Zimz

iraqs been a normal fuctionally country, where everyone got along untill.. you guessed it america invaded and caused problems.

when I look at my parents' old pictures at uni in iraq, it all looked soo beautiful.
christians got along with muslims and muslims got along with christians.
no extremist crap, so unfortunate that i never got to see my home country.
Original post by ranz

when I look at my parents' old pictures at uni in iraq, it all looked soo beautiful.
christians got along with muslims and muslims got along with christians.

Was it a normal country when they had a dictator that brutally suppressed his own people and massacred Kurds?

When that dictator invaded Iran and used chemical weapons against his people (and Iranians), causing a total of 500,000+ deaths?

When that dictator then invaded, and annexed, Kuwait?

All these things occurred before any US intervention in Iraq.
Reply 10
Original post by lawyer12345
Was it a normal country when they had a dictator that brutally suppressed his own people and massacred Kurds?

When that dictator invaded Iran and used chemical weapons against his people (and Iranians), causing a total of 500,000+ deaths?

When that dictator then invaded, and annexed, Kuwait?

All these things occurred before any US intervention in Iraq.

US gave aid to iraq when it was in war with iran wayy before they invaded iraq. donald rumsfeld who is a us defence secretary helped saddam with the chemical weapons. US even helped Saddam be in charge, , all to cause trouble in the middle east so they would have a reason to invade, and then in 2003 when america invaded iraq they captured him and and he was excuted, they acted like the hero, you have to see the bigger picture here, if it wasn't for americas influence an support none of it wouldve happend, they took advantage of saddam.
also the pictures I refered to were in the late 60s and early 70s saddam didnt gain power untill 1980 roughly.
i can also go into the other things you mentioned but i think ill rest my case, you can read up on it plenty online.
US gave aid to iraq when it was in war with iran wayy before they invaded iraq. donald rumsfeld who is a us defence secretary helped saddam with the chemical weapons. US even helped Saddam be in charge
so far so good...

all to cause trouble in the middle east so they would have a reason to invade

We diverge here. I think they just acted in their interests at the time (each time).

When Iraq invaded Iran they were expecting an easy victory due to the post-revolution chaos. Alas, Iran resisted and actually counter-attacked Iraq after 2 years. It was then that the US really ramped up their support of Iraq, because they couldn't let Iraq fall to a Islamist expansionist Iran.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending