Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i deal with this? Watch

Announcements

My partner and I have been together for 6 years

He was with his ex girlfriend for 10 years- a Thai lady
    Sometimes he will use Thai phrases and buys loads of Thai things
    It really annoys me- not because I'm racist but because I'm worried that he misses her and what they had

Its been a bone of contention throughout out relationship but has recently meant we are arguing non stop to the point of break up

he says that its part of his past and therefore part of him but it hurts me

Am I being irrational?

ReputationRep:
    I won't let my girlfriend eat pizza because she went to pizza express with her ex one time.

I doubt this is real but you're being hugely irrational. He's been with you for 6 years, I'm pretty sure he's over it. He just likes Thai food...

ReputationRep:
    nope he shouldn't be doing that even though you told him you're totally not happy with it but not going to lie thai food is the best food in all of Asia and secondly you're still racist about his ex and her people just going to say that whether you like it or not

(Original post by sadly)
    nope he shouldn't be doing that even though you told him you're totally not happy with it but not going to lie thai food is the best food in all of Asia and secondly you're still racist about his ex and her people just going to say that whether you like it or not
    Wasn't talking about Thai food

And no I'm not racist
    I haven't said anything racist

Ive said it upsets me that he thinks about his ex

(Original post by dean01234)
    I won't let my girlfriend eat pizza because she went to pizza express with her ex one time.

I doubt this is real but you're being hugely irrational. He's been with you for 6 years, I'm pretty sure he's over it. He just likes Thai food...
    Thank you for your reply
    Its not Thai food- I love Thai food! lol
    Its more the phrases that she's taught him etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wasn't talking about Thai food

And no I'm not racist
    I haven't said anything racist

Ive said it upsets me that he thinks about his ex
    lol you said he buys thai things and in the UK there's mostly thai food in supermarkets so yeah I did assume that but I guess he apparently doesn't buy thai ingredients to buy thai food then and yes you are it's subtle the way you talked about her and they way you immediately tried to justify yourself but ok to each their own I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply
    Its not Thai food- I love Thai food! lol
    Its more the phrases that she's taught him etc
    Maybe its a little strange, but they were together for 10 years. I think its reasonable for him to have picked up certain habits / mannerisms from her.

That said if you've made it clear that you're not happy with him doing this, I would have expected him to make some kind of effort to stop

(Original post by sadly)
    lol you said he buys thai things and in the UK there's mostly thai food in supermarkets so yeah I did assume that but I guess he apparently doesn't buy thai ingredients to buy thai food then and yes you are it's subtle the way you talked about her and they way you immediately tried to justify yourself but ok to each their own I guess...

I dont know why you would think i would not correct you on your assumptions

(Original post by dean01234)
    Maybe its a little strange, but they were together for 10 years. I think its reasonable for him to have picked up certain habits / mannerisms from her.

That said if you've made it clear that you're not happy with him doing this, I would have expected him to make some kind of effort to stop
    Thank you for your reply
    Yeah i see what you mean...
    He says he tried to but he says he got fed up of trying to appease me- he wants to be himself

ReputationRep:
    I dont know why you would think i would not correct you on your assumptions
    Uhm darling now you're assuming that I wouldn't want you to correct me like...the irony? but whatever the point you're diverting from it that you are racist and jealousy is the apparent exfuse you can sure consume thai goods but your bf speaking thai to his thai ex clearly rubs you the wrong way lol but whatever try and defend yourself in any way you can that's probably why you made a thread so you can be comforted so people can say it's ok to feel the way you do but it's not...but your bf should still hear you out that's rude of him not to

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.