The Student Room Group

Hospice vs Care Home

I know that both are good forms of volunteering but which would you say is more useful both for gaining experience and uni applciations?

Thanks.
Original post by littleheron
I know that both are good forms of volunteering but which would you say is more useful both for gaining experience and uni applciations?

Thanks.

For the purposes of your application, there's no difference between the two - either would be just fine.

In a hospice, you'd be able to see the effects of terminal illnesses and palliative care, and maybe some of the residents would be happy to chat to you about that. Depending on the sort of care home you volunteer in, you might see how care is provided to individuals with specific disabilities/conditions, or if it's an old people's home, the effects of ageing generally.

I doubt the responsibilities would be significantly different whichever one you opt for - you'll most likely be keeping the residents company, making cups of tea, maybe helping with feeding etc.
Reply 2
I would agree with the above post - work experience can be difficult to get and I would certainly apply to both as you have no guarantee of getting either, and both are useful.

THAT SAID you may find a hospice to be a slightly more medicine-focused environment than a care home. More nurses around and usually doctors too, whereas care homes don't have a doctor around most of the time. Another thing is that many of the patients in care homes have dementia and will not be able to give you a good history, compared to hospice patients. Though don't forget that a large part of modern day medicine is caring for highly dependent patients with dementia so don't underestimate its importance.

But overall I would tend towards the idea that you might find a hospice placement more varied and interesting
Reply 3
Original post by Ghotay
I would agree with the above post - work experience can be difficult to get and I would certainly apply to both as you have no guarantee of getting either, and both are useful.

THAT SAID you may find a hospice to be a slightly more medicine-focused environment than a care home. More nurses around and usually doctors too, whereas care homes don't have a doctor around most of the time. Another thing is that many of the patients in care homes have dementia and will not be able to give you a good history, compared to hospice patients. Though don't forget that a large part of modern day medicine is caring for highly dependent patients with dementia so don't underestimate its importance.

But overall I would tend towards the idea that you might find a hospice placement more varied and interesting

Couldn't like your post for some reason so thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending