Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French AS speaking Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing AQA French AS and I'm predicted a B, I find the speaking really hard and I was wondering if anyone has any tips and useful phrases or sentence starters that they find useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzzyReeves)
    Hi, I'm doing AQA French AS and I'm predicted a B, I find the speaking really hard and I was wondering if anyone has any tips and useful phrases or sentence starters that they find useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Help your confidence by saying Bonjour Monsieur/Madame, and smiling.

Je suis désolé(e), je ne sais pas grand-chose à ce sujet is a very useful standby!

If you make mistake, you can "erase" it by saying pardon and correcting yourself.

If you don't understand a question, don't say "Je ne comprends pas" but just say Pardon, pouvez-vous répéter la question?

Try to sound spontaneous: start some of your answers with phrases such as alors, bon, eh bien, and appropriately insert short sentences such as c’est vraiment intéressant, c’est ridicule, c’est terrible, c’est très important in your developed answers.

It helps if you can re-direct questions towards topics you know more about: Q. Que pensez-vous de Facebook? A. Je suis désolé(e), je ne m’intéresse pas à Facebook. Par contre, j’adore le sport…

Expressing opinions: vary vocabulary by using all of these: je pense que…, à mon avis…, j’estime que…, je crois que…, il me semble que ... Remember that if these are negative they take the subjunctive! Eg: Je ne pense pas que cela soit important will be more impressive than the similar: Je pense que cela n'est pas important.

Other useful opening phrases:

Quant a moi - as for me
    C'est-a-dire - that is to say
    Bien que/quoique + subjunctive - although
    D'ailleurs - furthermore
    Tout compte fait - all things considered
    Je suis d'accord / Je ne suis pas d'accord - I (don't) agree
    Bref - in brief/in a word
    Je dois dire que - I must say that
    Vous avez bien raison - You're quite right

And a really useful tip: get together with some other French students in your class over lunchtime and make a point of chatting in French. Just ten minutes a day is great and will help all of you build up your confidence over time. As the exam approaches, you'll have a jolly good excuse to have a longer lunch break!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll try some of those things! I've been told not to change the subject of the question but the rest seems very useful, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.