Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is it fair that... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Waste of money and time. But hey, your life choices.
    what was your degree in sw651, and what grade did you get, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    what was your degree in sw651, and what grade did you get, out of interest?
    Don't have a degree, going to university later this year. I have the knowledge that both my parents are professionals without degrees who KNOW that degrees are useless without experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Don't have a degree, going to university later this year. I have the knowledge that both my parents are professionals without degrees who KNOW that degrees are useless without experience
    Lol wut. You having a giggle mate?

What does that even mean "degrees are useless without experience"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollyon.)
    Lol wut. You having a giggle mate?

What does that even mean "degrees are useless without experience"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Good luck in the real world.
    Says the kid who hasnt even started uni yet.

Let me give you a real word lesson mate - if you cant explain what you're saying, people are going to assume what you're saying is bullchit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    Is it fair that two people studying the same course at the same university are given different amounts in loans?

Now let me put this in context of what i mean. Is it right to give one individual £8000 and another barely £3000 just because ones parents are "rich". This is where this whole thing fails. People assume that just because someone is poor they have no money (fair enough) and just because someone is rich they should pay for everything. How is it fair that the upper class have to pay higher taxes etc and when their kids are at university they still have to pay a minimum of £6-7k a year?

Richer people tend to have more expensive lifestyles therefore they dont have unlimited amount of "disposable income" as things like there mortages are higher etc.

I think the best change would be to hand out loans dependent on the university. for example an individual going to London Met should NEVER be given £27k tuition loan and then around 40-50k of maintenance because the graduate jobs for that university is the equivalent to Mc-donalds. It would also make sense to only hand out what the degree will pay after graduation. For example degrees such as medicine should get higher loans as the graduates will be able to pay back whereas degrees such as Theatre and Drama and all other mickey mouse degrees should be paid less as their graduate job prospects are low and their income will probably only reach the threshold after many years.

This is NOT to offend anybody just want to get peoples views on this topic
    When a rule, a piece of legislation, a bye law is made, it is made to cater for the majority ....
    As a result, common sense says that there will be the "anecdotal" exceptions where the above will be unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollyon.)
    Says the kid you hasnt even started uni yet.

Let me give you a real word lesson mate - if you cant explain what you're saying, people are going to assume what you're saying is bullchit
    No, but I do have a job with people who have masters and can't get work because they have no experience in that field.

In other words, they know the field well, and have extensive knowledge, but they don't get work because they cannot show that they can apply knowledge to practical use.

If you are going to drop the whole "you aren't at uni yet" argument then you should be sure that you know what employers look for. And I can tell you it goes 1. Experience 2. Personality 3. Degree. And that is from various family members who are all professionals. In fact pretty much most professionals will tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    Is it fair that two people studying the same course at the same university are given different amounts in loans?

Now let me put this in context of what i mean. Is it right to give one individual £8000 and another barely £3000 just because ones parents are "rich". This is where this whole thing fails. People assume that just because someone is poor they have no money (fair enough) and just because someone is rich they should pay for everything. How is it fair that the upper class have to pay higher taxes etc and when their kids are at university they still have to pay a minimum of £6-7k a year?

Richer people tend to have more expensive lifestyles therefore they dont have unlimited amount of "disposable income" as things like there mortages are higher etc.

I think the best change would be to hand out loans dependent on the university. for example an individual going to London Met should NEVER be given £27k tuition loan and then around 40-50k of maintenance because the graduate jobs for that university is the equivalent to Mc-donalds. It would also make sense to only hand out what the degree will pay after graduation. For example degrees such as medicine should get higher loans as the graduates will be able to pay back whereas degrees such as Theatre and Drama and all other mickey mouse degrees should be paid less as their graduate job prospects are low and their income will probably only reach the threshold after many years.

Your post is very incoherent. You dislike the preferential treatment given to students from low incomes but want preferential treatment to account for richer people's 'more expensive lifestyles'. Not only that, you want to disadvantage someone financially based on which university they attend. You never explain why. You make an another point about people paying back their loan. You might think that someone doing a 'pointless' course at London Metropolitan is unlikely to repay their loan. Things are a bit more complicated than this. For example, what about the social workers that London Metropolitan train? What about the nurses and teachers who predominately graduate from metropolitan universities? They do a useful job and are likely to repay their loans but attend 'terrible' universities.

You dismissed Saoirse:3's post but she answered your question perfectly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Might be VERY hard but its also VERY pointless. The difficulty of a degree does not equate to it being worth anything in the working world. It might be something you enjoy which is all great but paying 12-13k a year is plain stupid.
    Wow...what has happened to you that you feel the need to belittle other people's choices and careers?

Do you have any idea the amount of money and people employed in creative industries? Obviously not or you wouldn't be making such silly statements about creative degrees :nope:

Live your life and enjoy yourself. There's no need to be rude and nasty about other people and their choices - you're only making yourself look petty and insecure.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    And I can tell you it goes 1. Experience 2. Personality 3. Degree. And that is from various family members who are all professionals. In fact pretty much most professionals will tell you that.
    Page 36 http://www.agr.org.uk/CoreCode/Admin...en-GB&fd=False

Employers in general may look for experience - employers of graduate level roles have different criteria.

Even in http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download...GMReport16.pdf the warnings about work experience from just under half of recruiters aren't specified that the WE needs to be relevant or substantial - they just don't want applications from people who have never worked.
    "Nearly half stated that it was either ‘not very likely’ or ‘not at all likely’ that a graduate who’dhad no previous work experience at all with any employers would be successful during theirselection process and be made a job offer, irrespective of their academic achievements or theuniversity they had attended."
    That's not "hit the ground running" it's just "don't spend your summer on xbox".
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Page 36 http://www.agr.org.uk/CoreCode/Admin...en-GB&fd=False

Employers in general may look for experience - employers of graduate level roles have different criteria.

Even in http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download...GMReport16.pdf the warnings about work experience from just under half of recruiters aren't specified that the WE needs to be relevant or substantial - they just don't want applications from people who have never worked.
    "Nearly half stated that it was either ‘not very likely’ or ‘not at all likely’ that a graduate who’dhad no previous work experience at all with any employers would be successful during theirselection process and be made a job offer, irrespective of their academic achievements or theuniversity they had attended."
    That's not "hit the ground running" it's just "don't spend your summer on xbox".
    Which is why I said in their respective fields
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Which is why I said in their respective fields
    :confused: the post I replied to:
    (Original post by sw651)
    No, but I do have a job with people who have masters and can't get work because they have no experience in that field.In other words, they know the field well, and have extensive knowledge, but they don't get work because they cannot show that they can apply knowledge to practical use.If you are going to drop the whole "you aren't at uni yet" argument then you should be sure that you know what employers look for. And I can tell you it goes 1. Experience 2. Personality 3. Degree. And that is from various family members who are all professionals. In fact pretty much most professionals will tell you that.
    There's no mention there of "respective fields" - you said: "be sure that you know what employers look for. And I can tell you it goes 1. Experience 2. Personality 3. Degree."

Work experience is not top priority for graduate employers. It's not a minimum requirement for the majority of graduate employers and where it is there's no requirement for the experience to be "relevant" experience they just don't want to employ graduates who spent their summers dossing around.

You're conflating your family's preferences with those of the largest graduate employers - it's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Life is not fair

ReputationRep:
    Hey sw, you said in another thread your family runs a farm.

Which is it?

ReputationRep:

What is your opinion on Chemistry degrees, regardless of the university?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    The Governemtn doesn't have an unlimited pot of money. What really is the other option? My parents are on a low income. They couldn't afford to give me money. In fact, I was having to lend them money.

Oh, and because it's loans, those who are given more, have more to pay back.

ReputationRep:

I think you make fair points. If someone chooses to do a Michael Mouse "degree" that will get him a job flippin burgers why should the Public Taxpayer give him a Loan that he almost certainly will never have to repay-because he'll never be earning enough? Such a person could support himself by flippin burgers in his spare time and pay for his own upkeep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I agree a degree means bugger all without experience, but who said i wasn't going to get experience after i graduate? Plus i have a confirmed place on a masters in education after i get my ba, and then i am also considering applying for a phd for after that, if i get the grades. the phd will be in mental health. as to exactly what i want to do with all of these paper qualifications, assuming i get them? To be honest i'm not sure. Let me worry about getting them first okay thanks.
    Wait so you're doing a masters in 'Education' get lecturing others on the pointlessness of their degrees? Slow down there sonny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Wait so you're doing a masters in 'Education' get lecturing others on the pointlessness of their degrees? Slow down there sonny.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I think you should re-read that, I am not studying a masters in education lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.