Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths is the bain of my life! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm still resitting my Maths GCSE which has been a Thorne in my side for years! It never seems to be get better as I have had a string of crap teachers, but now I need this more than ever. I want to go to Uni and study but I need maths and I was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and even achieved a C grade at Maths? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greedoshotfirst)
    I'm still resitting my Maths GCSE which has been a Thorne in my side for years! It never seems to be get better as I have had a string of crap teachers, but now I need this more than ever. I want to go to Uni and study but I need maths and I was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and even achieved a C grade at Maths? Thanks!
    I sincerely wish I could give you advice but I can only give you my sympathy.

Good luck and I hope it works for you.
    Name:  c17.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  132.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    It's "bane" by the way, not "bain".

ReputationRep:
    Also, thorn not thorne. And I don't even know why you capitalised it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my maths gcse this year and am currently averaging at an A/A* so message me if you need some help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What's with the grammar corrections? This is a maths help forum. Some of these replies just sound pretentious.

I wasn't in this situation but I've taught/tutored many who have been and who I have helped get a C. I dont know anything about your situation so it's hard to advise you but have you thought of getting a tutor?

And do you feel you're putting in as much effort as possible? Or do you blame your teachers 100%?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    What's with the grammar corrections? This is a maths help forum. Some of these replies just sound pretentious.

While I agree some of the suggestions could have been put more tactfully, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with pointing out misspellings etc when they're not obvious typos - otherwise if people don't know that they've misused a particular language feature they'll just end up repeating it in 'real life' which could potentially disadvantage them on job applications etc.

It would be nice, however, to see a few more constructive maths suggestions from people who've been through similar experiences to the OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    While I agree some of the suggestions could have been put more tactfully, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with pointing out misspellings etc
    My post was meant to be a joke, I'd usually follow it up with some maths help and/or advice but in this scenario, I'm not really the best person to answer the OP's question. I apologise to anybody and the OP who found it in bad taste.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    While I agree some of the suggestions could have been put more tactfully, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with pointing out misspellings etc when they're not obvious typos - otherwise if people don't know that they've misused a particular language feature they'll just end up repeating it in 'real life' which could potentially disadvantage them on job applications etc.

It would be nice, however, to see a few more constructive maths suggestions from people who've been through similar experiences to the OP
    I have to disagree. Pointing out misspellings in a maths forum is off-topic and I find it doubtful that any poster would be very appreciative if they're looking for maths help.

If I asked for help in a forum and received grammar corrections, there's a good chance that I wouldn't post there again.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree. Pointing out misspellings in a maths forum is off-topic and I find it doubtful that any poster would be very appreciative if they're looking for maths help.

If I asked for help in a forum and received grammar corrections, there's a good chance that I wouldn't post there again.
    We'll have to disagree then I think - I'm old-fashioned when it comes to things like getting grammar and spellings correct, and having spent a lot of time in the workplace I think it just looks embarrassing when people haven't had mistakes corrected at an earlier part of their life when these things could have been ironed out.

Anyway, we really are off-topic now, so hopefully someone will have some constructive maths advice for the OP soon

ReputationRep:
    I managed to pull my grade up from an E to a B over a few months by latching on to a clever mate who could explain the concepts in plain English. I also did past paper after past paper, and watched youtube tutorials (which are actually really useful to be honest, I couldn't recommend them enough).

It's one of those subjects that you can't get magically good at, you have to put in the independent work outside of class. But if you work at it, it's definitely achievable. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sitting Foundation or Higher? I've know students pass on their 5th attempt and will point you towards some resources once I know which tier you are taking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently re sitting GCSE maths too, this will be my 4th attempt unfortunately... I just can't grasp the basic concept of numbers no matter how hard I try

I feel your pain!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.