The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeship 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Has anyone been to an assessment centre in Northern Ireland??
Pretty sure 25 is the age limit for an apprenticeship however I could be wrong. I've applied for the it and engineering apprenticeships and I've made it through to the assessment centres, just waiting on an invite
Original post by ADBracher
Pretty sure 25 is the age limit for an apprenticeship however I could be wrong. I've applied for the it and engineering apprenticeships and I've made it through to the assessment centres, just waiting on an invite

No its not. Read the BT FAQ's. Many other apprenticeships also dont have an age limit. They accept people with a relevant background and transferable skill sets. We are living longer and it is discrimination to think otherwise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 203
Original post by ADBracher

25 is the cut off for funding, you could still get on if you're above that age since some companies will be willing to fund your training out of their pocket if you're an outstanding candidate.

Sometimes I doubt that myself though.
I'm not sure myself I mean the statistics I have been reading seem to suggest that most people over the age of 25 actually get on the apprenticeships and people under 19 arent bothering. Thats according to statistics on LinkedIn so that tells a different story altogether about the way the recruitment is heading. BT take a lot of Ex Military personnel who are over that age too.

Degree apprenticrships are also on the rise at the moment and no age limit is specified for this. It would seem that it is bit relaxed with most companies as-long as they believe in you and you fit the role. Most of my friends joined BT at 25 or 26 and I am 26 and have an interview for openreach on friday for an advanced apprenticeship but I have experience and qualifications higher than GCSE's. Its a tough world.

I would fund my own future to get a job with Open-Reach as it is what I want to do with my life.

Update: By the way This is BT's response coming from a very high up employee from my LinkedIn contacts:-
no there are no age barriers for us ...its based on whose best for the job, we have had a gent aged 49 join us before. The only thing is you take a hit on a lower salary for the period of the apprenticeship as that is a fixed rate regardless of age

Good luck with hearing back regarding an assessment centre ADBracher. Hoefully you will hear soon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Buddy A
Has anyone been to an assessment centre in Northern Ireland??

Sorry I have not heard anything regarding anyone from Ireland, have you rang HR?
Reply 206
Hi. I applied to this a few months ago and got a e-mail yesterday saying I was unsuccessful because there were no vacancies in my area (engineering programme). I'm from Cumbria.

Thank you again for submitting your application and taking the time to complete a Situational Strengths Test.

As you already know, you passed the test, however we’re sorry to let you know that we’re unable to progress your application any further at this stage because we don’t currently have any roles where you live.

However, I got this about 10 minutes after they rang me to clarify my GCSE's. I had my Maths and English, but she said I was missing the other required 2 (or equivalent), I told her I did a intermediate GNVQ in ICT at school and got a merit (B) which is equivalent to 4 GCSE's and took the place of GCSE's that I could have taken, so she said oh ok I didn't see that, I have not heard of a GNVQ but i'll look that up and if that confirms to be true (which it is) then I meet the criteria, and then 10 mins later I get that e-mail, so i'm a little suspicious, so please don't let it put you off if you are from the Cumbrian area, but if that e-mail is correct then it looks like there are no roles in 2016 for Cumbria :frown:.
Reply 207
The wait for the assessment centre is getting a bit ridiculous now, the last communication I had was almost 2 months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanBrandon89
I'm not sure myself I mean the statistics I have been reading seem to suggest that most people over the age of 25 actually get on the apprenticeships and people under 19 arent bothering. Thats according to statistics on LinkedIn so that tells a different story altogether about the way the recruitment is heading. BT take a lot of Ex Military personnel who are over that age too.

Degree apprenticrships are also on the rise at the moment and no age limit is specified for this. It would seem that it is bit relaxed with most companies as-long as they believe in you and you fit the role. Most of my friends joined BT at 25 or 26 and I am 26 and have an interview for openreach on friday for an advanced apprenticeship but I have experience and qualifications higher than GCSE's. Its a tough world.

I would fund my own future to get a job with Open-Reach as it is what I want to do with my life.

Update: By the way This is BT's response coming from a very high up employee from my LinkedIn contacts:-
no there are no age barriers for us ...its based on whose best for the job, we have had a gent aged 49 join us before. The only thing is you take a hit on a lower salary for the period of the apprenticeship as that is a fixed rate regardless of age

Good luck with hearing back regarding an assessment centre ADBracher. Hoefully you will hear soon.

That's great to hear Dan as I too am applying over the age of 25 and without a degree. Only just started filling in my application as I've just recently found out about it and decided to go for it. But the BT Apprenticeships deadline according to National Apprenticeships website is 30th June so I'm glad it seems I definitely still have enough time to apply.
Original post by jampot98
The wait for the assessment centre is getting a bit ridiculous now, the last communication I had was almost 2 months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. I'm through to the assessment centre for Thales now after applying 3 weeks ago, so if I'm lucky enough to be offered a place there for a v similar role then I'll accept that regardless.
Original post by jackhaugh
Same here. I'm through to the assessment centre for Thales now after applying 3 weeks ago, so if I'm lucky enough to be offered a place there for a v similar role then I'll accept that regardless.

Good luck pal
Good luck pal

Cheers mate
Has anyone attended a BT assessment day and is now awaiting a decision? If so, did anyone get any hints or pointers to suggest they had got the role? My assessment on Friday was very interesting but they displayed a very conserved approach without giving anything away.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swfc-dan
That's great to hear Dan as I too am applying over the age of 25 and without a degree. Only just started filling in my application as I've just recently found out about it and decided to go for it. But the BT Apprenticeships deadline according to National Apprenticeships website is 30th June so I'm glad it seems I definitely still have enough time to apply.

Hello mate.

I had my assessment on Friday and if you get invited I would be happy to share anything you need to know. I dont know what the situation is for your area so I couldent comment on what opportunities youl be put forward for but I am under the impression they recruit all year round so fingers crossed for you. All the information is on the BT careers FAQ.
I had mine a week ago. They gave nothing away at our assessment centre, we was just told we would here within 15 days. They also said if you do get the job training starts in September.
Original post by Ashly1990
I had mine a week ago. They gave nothing away at our assessment centre, we was just told we would here within 15 days. They also said if you do get the job training starts in September.

On the same page then. How did your interview go?
On the same page then. How did your interview go?

Interview, team exercise and individual exercise went fine I think, the presentation was the one that threw me a little bit. Just have to sit the waiting game and see what they say. How did yours go?
The practical threw me, everything else was fine. I was just nervous as ive worked with an electrician previously but just the on the spot idea dident go well with my nerves. I think I did fine on the group discussion, interview and presentation. Everyone has different skills. Lets wait and hope!
The practical threw me, everything else was fine. I was just nervous as ive worked with an electrician previously but just the on the spot idea dident go well with my nerves. I think I did fine on the group discussion, interview and presentation. Everyone has different skills. Lets wait and hope!

Exactly, all they want to see is your passion and drive to do the job so fingers crossed we hear something soon. Where was your assessment centre?
Original post by Ashly1990
Exactly, all they want to see is your passion and drive to do the job so fingers crossed we hear something soon. Where was your assessment centre?

Thanks mate that is re-assuring. Mine took placein newcastle city centre. There was a couple of candidates that had travelled all the way from Scotland and other places up north. I was very surprised.

Quick Reply

Latest