Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Turned ON or OFF by articulate people? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Two adverbs weren't necessary.

#GrammarNazismForever.
    To be adequate, and to be comprehensive, are obviously two different sentiments...

So both were necessary as they are different adverbs If they indicated identical characteristics, then you'd be correct.

ReputationRep:
    Two adverbs weren't necessary, especially in two different places.

#GrammarNazismForever.
    *ammended

NB I consider myself one of the least articulate people I know

ReputationRep:
    enquiry*

You're trying hard, but at least you're trying. :rolleyes: On.
    Your appraisal is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridingmyego)
    To be adequate, and to be comprehensive, are obviously two different sentiments...

So both were necessary as they are different adverbs If they indicated identical characteristics, then you'd be correct.
    Y u trying so hard m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're mutually exclusive. 'Adequate' implies satisfactory or acceptable quality; comprehensive goes well beyond that. Ever wonder why comprehensive insurance is called comprehensive insurance?

Keep trying, it's attractive. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiffin_bits)
    *ammended

They both were necessary as they offered separate descriptions. You typed a perfectly concise response miss/mr

ReputationRep:
    They're mutually exclusive. 'Adequate' implies satisfactory or acceptable quality; comprehensive goes well beyond that. Ever wonder why comprehensive insurance is called comprehensive insurance?

And somehow 'adequate' insurance doesn't have the same ring to it. ;D

ReputationRep:
    As title inquires?
    DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE?????????

(Original post by tiffin_bits)
    *ammended

I think eloquence is one of the most overrated traits there is. Very few people whom I've considered eloquent have done so for reasons other than exploiting people's deference towards well-spoken people.

How interesting you are > how many words you know (most of the time ).

ReputationRep:

Pls keep tearing him apart, it's attractive 😍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    As title enquires?
    DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE?????????
    You're confused by three short words? o.O

ReputationRep:
    Someone who says everything as simply as is necessary to communicate succinctly and accurately, but no simpler.

ReputationRep:
    You're confused by three short words? o.O
    well I know what you meant
    but I'm pretty sure that's not "correct"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    well I know what you meant
    but I'm pretty sure that's not "correct"
    'As title enquires' - Is a reference to the question which the thread title poses to potential readers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Y u trying so hard m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm currently on opiates, so debating on TSR appeared to be a fun activity.

ReputationRep:
    Articulation has its innumerable merits, one must concede; however I must postulate that, on occasion, the tendency to plough the myriad depths of one's lexicon to acquire perfectly apt yet esoteric terminology is at best veritably dubious and at worst ignominious. To eschew contemporaneous styles of discourse in favour of implicitly self-aggrandizing extraneous jargon is indeed a poor route to the unmitigated comprehension of one's audience!

ReputationRep:
    'As title enquires' - Is a reference to the question which the thread title poses to potential readers.
    that's what you meant, which I said I understood
    your thread title isn't posing a question to anybody who hasn't read it, so it's not really "potential" readers either

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on opiates, so debating on TSR appeared to be a fun activity.
    lol to each their own and all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Knowledge is power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Articulation has its innumerable merits, one must concede; however I must postulate that, on occasion, the tendency to plough the myriad depths of one's lexicon to acquire perfectly apt yet esoteric terminology is at best veritably dubious and at worst ignominious. To eschew contemporaneous styles of discourse in favour of implicitly self-aggrandizing extraneous jargon is indeed a poor route to the unmitigated comprehension of one's audience!
    Hypocrisy throughout lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.