The Student Room Group

How long does it take to write a 3000 word essay. Help, quick!

Please help reassure me. I have all of the research done i'm just struggling and keep doubting my approach. Any reassurance would help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A day I guess? Depends if you're writing or sitting there not knowing what to do.
Original post by charlottehogan
Please help reassure me. I have all of the research done i'm just struggling and keep doubting my approach. Any reassurance would help

I've just finished one and it took me 3 days including doing the research.
I spent day 1 working about 4 hours.
Day 2 about 5 hours
Today 12 hours so far -_-

How long have you got?
Original post by Nadile
A day I guess? Depends if you're writing or sitting there not knowing what to do.

I know what to do but keep doubting my approach and it's taking me so much longer. I lack confidence and i am overly critical but i feel that i should just ignore my gut and just type it up anyway.
Original post by Neostigmine
I've just finished one and it took me 3 days including doing the research.
I spent day 1 working about 4 hours.
Day 2 about 5 hours
Today 12 hours so far -_-

How long have you got?

i have until Friday 10am. Any tips on how to break it down or whatnot? I would really like to get over half of it done tonight, perhaps do a late one until 5am or so. i have 600 words so far but i keep deleting it and starting a new draft. I'd probably have finished by now if i hadn't kept doing that.
Reply 5
I know what to do but keep doubting my approach and it's taking me so much longer. I lack confidence and i am overly critical but i feel that i should just ignore my gut and just type it up anyway.

Well where are you at? If you don't know how to start then just sort out the things you need to talk about into paragraphs through bullet points. Then you can turn those into actual sentences.

If you're already writing but just going back and forth, deleting as you write etc then honestly just stop. Write it up as a whole and then correct it and make it good. It doesn't have to be perfect from the start
Reply 6
Goodluck with that would never leave it till the last day.
Original post by Nadile
Well where are you at? If you don't know how to start then just sort out the things you need to talk about into paragraphs through bullet points. Then you can turn those into actual sentences.

If you're already writing but just going back and forth, deleting as you write etc then honestly just stop. Write it up as a whole and then correct it and make it good. It doesn't have to be perfect from the start

You're completely right with what you've written in that second paragraph. That's what I keep doing. I'll just stop going back and forth and type it up in its entirety and then hopefully i can spend the majority of tomorrow fixing it and perfecting it. Thank you
Original post by chikane

It's actually not the last day.. Thanks for the luck anyway. I know for a fact once i get started i'll be fine. This is how i am with all of my essays. Doubt is the greatest enemy of creativity.
i have until Friday 10am. Any tips on how to break it down or whatnot? I would really like to get over half of it done tonight, perhaps do a late one until 5am or so. i have 600 words so far but i keep deleting it and starting a new draft. I'd probably have finished by now if i hadn't kept doing that.

Don't delete anything.
Write lists and bullet points in a document and fill them out.
I work best at night. Was up until 4am this morning working because there are fewer distractions then!
Delete things when you do read throughs. Do these when you get stuck and can't write any more.
When you get bored - format.
Reference as you go.

GET STARTED GOGOGOGO
Start with a mind map okay?
Original post by chikane

Not the most helpful comment. People end up leaving things for all sorts of reasons.
It's actually not the last day.. Thanks for the luck anyway. I know for a fact once i get started i'll be fine. This is how i am with all of my essays. Doubt is the greatest enemy of creativity.

My friend used to leave it on the day to do her coursework as our deadline was usually midnight to submit it on turnitin.
She usually got a first but the word count was around 1500 words.
Reply 13
You're completely right with what you've written in that second paragraph. That's what I keep doing. I'll just stop going back and forth and type it up in its entirety and then hopefully i can spend the majority of tomorrow fixing it and perfecting it. Thank you

(Gonna reply again even though it's unnecessary now)

That's basically what I tend to do now. Thing is that if you're trying to make it perfect from the start, then each new sentence can make your previous work not flow as nicely anymore, making you delete everything.

It is also reassuring to at least have a "crap" version done, because you know the essay is there and now you're just improving it. Rather than having a perfect paragraph and nothing else, it just feels like you're further from finishing writing when that's how you do it (and that's just stressful).

Good luck.
Original post by Neostigmine
Don't delete anything.
Write lists and bullet points in a document and fill them out.
I work best at night. Was up until 4am this morning working because there are fewer distractions then!
Delete things when you do read throughs. Do these when you get stuck and can't write any more.
When you get bored - format.
Reference as you go.

GET STARTED GOGOGOGO

I did what you said to do and I've been able to expand on some of the points just by seeing them there. I appreciate your advice, been referencing as I go along which is a relief. I'm now on 1,400 words so I'm working slowly but surely. I intend on hitting 3000 words tonight and spending all day tomorrow doing what you have said and altering it only when its in its final form. It will need many alterations tomorrow but I feel better knowing that is all I will need to do rather than doing it as I go along and getting nowhere. Thank you!
Original post by chikane
My friend used to leave it on the day to do her coursework as our deadline was usually midnight to submit it on turnitin.
She usually got a first but the word count was around 1500 words.

I would never leave it until the day of out of sheer laziness, it's hard to understand unless you have been in my boat yourself. I wrote an essay two weeks ago which was 4000 words in basically 42 hellish hours and there was a lot more to that one and I received my first ever 74% for it so hopefully I can achieve a 2:1 for this one, you never know! I'm just not confident with this one as the lecturer is a notorious harsh marker and I suffer bad anxiety and self doubt so please don't mistaken it for laziness. I have written it up for over a week and kept deleting it.
Original post by Nadile
(Gonna reply again even though it's unnecessary now)

That's basically what I tend to do now. Thing is that if you're trying to make it perfect from the start, then each new sentence can make your previous work not flow as nicely anymore, making you delete everything.

It is also reassuring to at least have a "crap" version done, because you know the essay is there and now you're just improving it. Rather than having a perfect paragraph and nothing else, it just feels like you're further from finishing writing when that's how you do it (and that's just stressful).

Good luck.

It wasn't unnecessary as it is really very reassuring to know that there are other people like me that suffer from hindering perfectionism! my friends just don't understand and think I'm silly for it but you can't help how you are.
You're right about that 'crap' version. I'm on 1,400 words so I'm getting there slowly but better than I was with my approach before. I want to hit the 3000 word marker tonight and have all day tomorrow to perfect it. I don't even feel that it's that crap so just some big changes in structure with information being moved around.
Thank you.

Around 15 minutes if you know exactly what you want to say and are the fastest typer in the world, up to a maximum of infinity if you never do it.
Original post by _Bright Eyes
Around 15 minutes if you know exactly what you want to say and are the fastest typer in the world, up to a maximum of infinity if you never do it.

Hahah I wish it were that feasible! It takes me fifteen minutes to do a bibliography alone! I'll get there in the end.
I did what you said to do and I've been able to expand on some of the points just by seeing them there. I appreciate your advice, been referencing as I go along which is a relief. I'm now on 1,400 words so I'm working slowly but surely. I intend on hitting 3000 words tonight and spending all day tomorrow doing what you have said and altering it only when its in its final form. It will need many alterations tomorrow but I feel better knowing that is all I will need to do rather than doing it as I go along and getting nowhere. Thank you!

Well done! Just got to keep going. Getting it down is the hardest bit. Once you've got started it takes form and then editing comes easy.

1400 is impressive in such a short time. Nicely done!!!

I'm just checking the punctuation of 50 references and I am done. yay :rolleyes::colonhash::unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending