The Student Room Group

AQA M1B Relative velocity question (bearing help) aeroplane flying

I'm stuck on the following question, I've attached my working:

I got the bearing as 343 degrees, i have the 100m/s going north, and 30m/s going east, I put the resultant velocity going that way to counter act the air movement to reach A --> B but for some reason my bearing was wrong, is my traingle correct? Does this triangle only work if it states it's traveling through the air or something? Any help is appreciated thanks
Reply 1
I would have thought it'd be something like:

_____>
|...... \
| ......\
| ....\
| ..\
| \

apologies for the horrible drawing. The airplane should quite obviously be moving North-east and not north-west as you've drawn it.
Reply 2
Untitled.png
This is what you should have drawn since the aeroplane is moving north relative to the air, which is moving east.
Reply 3
Original post by B_9710
Untitled.png
This is what you should have drawn since the aeroplane is moving north relative to the air, which is moving east.

ah ok, so it's not moving through the air, it's just being pushed by the air basically?, ah yeah it never says it needs to get from A to B, if it said bearing to get to B then it would be 343 degrees i think with my triangle so you are right
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sayless
ah ok, so it's not moving through the air, it's just being pushed by the air basically?, ah yeah it never says it needs to get from A to B, if it said bearing to get to B then it would be 343 degrees i think with my triangle so you are right

I forgot to add the arrows to this diagram but i'm sure you can see for yourself what's going on here.

Quick Reply

Latest