Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F1 January 2016 IAL Edexcel Model Answers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    These are my model answers to the F1 January 2016 IAL paper for Edexcel.
    *I have done these answers very quickly so please do let me know if there are any silly mistakes.*

Apologies for the slight blurriness, I had to compress an 8mb file to under 1mb due to TSR's attachment size allowances! Nevertheless, it is clear enough to read what's written.

Tricky paper, but IAL papers tend to be harder than UK ones.

Questions 1 & 2 - standard.

Question 3 - a fair bit of tricky algebra involved, easy to make a silly mistake with so much going on. If you have a good understanding of binomial expansion then this one's for you.
    Part (b)(ii) easy if you made use of all the results from the previous parts.

Question 4 - pretty standard. Part (b) you will have to have done by observation.

Question 5 - straightforward.

question 6 - (a) straightforward. (b) quite easy to make a silly algebra slip and mess the whole question up.

Question 7 - easy

Question 8 - DIAGRAM IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL FOR THIS QUESTION. Once you have a diagram it is quite clear what the question is asking for both parts (a) and (b).
    Part (b) I imagine a lot of people would have messed this up or got to the area = 2ar but would have failed to show 2ar = 6qr/5 .

Question 9 - divisibility induction - divisibility induction questions tend to be the hardest ones in comparison to matrix or summation ones. This one was fortunately quite straightforward.

edit:
    BOUNDARIES
    last year's summer IAL f1 paper was 59 for an A.
    I haven't tried that paper myself but just by looking at it, this one seems harder. My guess would be 58-59 for an A.

EDIT: the y-coordinate of Q for question 6(b) should read -cp^3. Accidentally missed out the numpty minus sign.

EDIT: Official F1 mark scheme now attached
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf WFM01_01_msc_20160216.pdf (142.1 KB, 362 views)
  2. File Type: pdf F1 JAN 16 KPRIME 2 MODEL ANSWERS.compressed.pdf (891.7 KB, 3986 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kprime2)
    Agree with everything here. Looks like I only made 2 small slips. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have done these answers very quickly and haven't double checked so please do let me know if there are any silly mistakes.

Apologies for the slight blurriness, I had to compress an 8mb file to under 1mb due to TSR's attachment size allowances! Nevertheless, it is clear enough to read what's written.

Tricky paper, but IAL papers tend to be harder than UK papers.

Question 3 - a fair bit of tricky algebra involved, easy to make a silly mistake with so much going on. If you have a good understanding of binomial expansion then this one's for you.

Question 4 - pretty standard. Part (b) you will have to have done by observation.

question 6 - (a) straightforward. (b) quite easy to make a silly algebra slip and mess the whole question up.

Question 7 - easy

Question 8 - DIAGRAM IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL FOR THIS QUESTION. Once you have a diagram it is quite clear what the question is asking for both parts (a) and (b).
    Part (b) I imagine a lot of people would have messed this up or got to the area = 2ar but would have failed to show 2ar = 6qr/5 .

Question 9 - divisibility induction - divisibility induction questions tend to be the hardest ones in comparison to matrix or summation ones. This one was fortunately quite straightforward.
    Thank you for the effort.

Any predictions for grade boundaries?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Saw 'F1'. Thought it was 'Formula One'...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    *I have done these answers very quickly and haven't double checked so please do let me know if there are any silly mistakes.*

Tricky paper, but IAL papers tend to be harder than UK ones.

Question 7 - easy

Thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Thank you for the effort.

Any predictions for grade boundaries?
    Last year's summer IAL paper was 59 for an A. I haven't done last year's paper but just by having a look at both, this one seems harder. So maybe 58-59 for an A?
    Do you think it was harder than last year's paper?

ReputationRep:
    Last year's summer IAL paper was 59 for an A. I haven't done last year's paper but just by having a look at both, this one seems harder. So maybe 58-59 for an A?
    Do you think it was harder than last year's paper?
    I believe the coordinate geometry questions were a little more difficult the paper as a whole was not much more challenging. In my opinion 58 for 80 UMS, 65 for 90 UMS and 72 for full UMS is fair.

ReputationRep:
    F1 official Mark scheme here:
    Attached Images
  3. File Type: pdf WFM01_01_msc_20160216.pdf (142.1 KB, 114 views)

ReputationRep:
    How is 4b 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLk1)
    How is 4b 8?
    You have to find a multiple of the matrix that doesn't affect the coordinates of a point, so a multiple of 360 degrees. The smallest multiple of 360 is at 8 so 8*135 or 8*225.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.