The Student Room Group

Would you rather live in a feminist state or an islamic state?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hippydude126
Look guys, a feminist state wouldn't look like a scene from a dystopian Margaret Atwood novel. The main difference would be the dismantling of the patriarchy.

Could you prove that one exists in the first place? Also, define patriarchy.

men would not feel pressured into hyper-masculinity

Prove that men are pressured in the first place. And why do you assume that masculinity is an issue? Flip the wording and listen to how ridiculous this sentence sounds.
women would not feel pressured into hyper-femininity
and neither gender

I think you've just committed blasphemy...

there would be no pay gap

There isn't one to begin with. It is a myth.

Someone please tell me how living in the Islamic State would be preferable?

I get to marry more than one person, as many as I want as long as I can take care of them.
Reply 41
Original post by BobbyFlay
Could you prove that one exists in the first place? Also, define patriarchy.

Prove that men are pressured in the first place. And why do you assume that masculinity is an issue? Flip the wording and listen to how ridiculous this sentence sounds.
women would not feel pressured into hyper-femininity

I think you've just committed blasphemy...

There isn't one to begin with. It is a myth.

I get to marry more than one person, as many as I want as long as I can take care of them.

I DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION. PROVE IT.

I feel like you perhaps aren't ready for marriage yet.
Original post by offhegoes
I DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION. PROVE IT.

Are you saying that you have no evidence to back up your opinions?
Reply 43

*grabs popcorn* this will be fun
A feminist place sounds like more fun
Reply 45
Feminist state. Islamic sharia law is a tad too strict for my liking.
Reply 46
So if ur rather live in an islamic state are you saying youd rather live in a place were isis kills innocent vunerable people in horrible gruesome ways causing mass immigration than one were women are equal to men? I know some feminstist arnt actually feminists there just seeking attention but thats only a minority.
Could be worse. Imagine a combination of those.
Feminist state. It depends on the "type" of feminists. I wouldn't like a state where everything is "gender neutral."
Reply 49
Depends. Are we talking crazy radical tumblr feminists who believe you can't be sexist towards men or w/e they're harping on about rn?

Because I'd rather jump into the ocean and drown rather than face either of the two options.

Buuuuuut, if they're normal feminists who want true equality between genders, then eh. I'd settle with a feminist state.
Reply 50

Well, of course not. My opinions are things I think, but also that I acknowledge to be neither a known truth nor proveable.

For example I know that evolution is real. This is not my opinion, this is a known truth. I know that the square root of 2 is an irrational number. This is not my opinion, this is proveable.

If I were to try put forward an argument I would try to back this up with reasonable evidence depending on the context, but of course I don't do this for every argument I make because there isn't enough time in the day.

But if I state an opinion? No, why on earth would I feel the need to back up my opinions with evidence?

Anyway, more to the point, what are you talking about? Which opinion are you wanting evidence for? That you aren't ready for marriage? Because that's the only opinion I put forward...
Reply 51
I'm not sure I follow. Could you explain?
Reply 52
Original post by Lannew1
So if ur rather live in an islamic state are you saying youd rather live in a place were isis kills innocent vunerable people in horrible gruesome ways causing mass immigration than one were women are equal to men? I know some feminstist arnt actually feminists there just seeking attention but thats only a minority.

ISIS isn't even a proper Islamic state.
An Islamic state doesn't kill innocent vulnerable people.
Original post by HAnwar
ISIS isn't even a proper Islamic state.
An Islamic state doesn't kill innocent vulnerable people.

Neither should any other state, but here we are...

Just because it doesn't fit your description of Islamic does not mean it is not true under the definition held by significant groups of people, and I'm not talking about UKIPpers, I mean every day people who see ISIS as being a state fighting in the name of Islam. And they are, they fight in the name of their interpretation of Islam just as you presumably believe in your interpretation of Islam, or Protestant Christians believe in that interpretation while the Westboro Baptist Church believes in another. It's the same with people talking about Feminism in this thread, yes the ideal is Feminism means the equality of men and women, but to a large proportion of people Feminism means the advancement of rights of women, but not necessarily of men to the same level which would be egalitarianism, a name which is a bit more neutral than Feminism.
Reply 54
To provide a little balance, let's follow along with your method of characterising groups of people according to your perception of the worst subsections within those groups.

Another similarly sweeping and damning statement would then be that a Christian society wouldn't care about the suffering caused by FGM either.
It's the same thing.

Annoying and annoying.
Reply 56
Islamic state, already packed my bags and moved to one for a few years, sue me
Theocratic state always, without fail, abuse the people who live beneath them. They attack any and every minority group they can think of. Theocracies are always totalitarian.

The virtues or lack thereof of a feminist state would depend on which form of feminism we are referring to, but anything is better than theocracy, it doesn't even matter which religion it is. Church and state have proven repeatedly that they simply shouldn't be together.
Original post by offhegoes
Well, of course not. My opinions are things I think, but also that I acknowledge to be neither a known truth nor proveable.

For example I know that evolution is real. This is not my opinion, this is a known truth. I know that the square root of 2 is an irrational number. This is not my opinion, this is proveable.

If I were to try put forward an argument I would try to back this up with reasonable evidence depending on the context, but of course I don't do this for every argument I make because there isn't enough time in the day.

But if I state an opinion? No, why on earth would I feel the need to back up my opinions with evidence?

Anyway, more to the point, what are you talking about? Which opinion are you wanting evidence for? That you aren't ready for marriage? Because that's the only opinion I put forward...

Can you not see the difference between the wage gap or patriarchy and mathematics? Or are you so dogmatic in your belief that you actually think that wage gap etc is the same as mathematical proof?
Surely you can see the difference here, one literally has evidence to prove itself, the other is just an assertion.

Refer to my original comment. You made multiple assertions, some that have evidence proving that they do not exist, the the wage gap.
I asked for evidence for those assertions, which you have yet to give me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
I for one choose death...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending