The Student Room Group

Osmosis help needed!

So I understand that a Hypertonic solution has a LOW water potential so water will move OUT of the cell, but what I don't understand is that if osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential, then why would it move out of the cell if it has a low water potential... i am just very confused right now and can't get my head around it
Reply 1
Pure water has a water potential value of 0. So no solute, pure water =0. A hypertonic solution has a greater number of solutes than that of the inside of the cell so for example lets just say 5. Therefore when the cell (that has v. Little solutes, for example a water potential of 1) is put into the solution that has a higher number of solutes (water potential 5) water moves from high to low concentration of solutes. So think of it like the water is trying to bring the value of 5 (which is on the outside of the cell) down to the water potential on the inside of the cell.
Reply 2
Original post by alaskalost
So I understand that a Hypertonic solution has a LOW water potential so water will move OUT of the cell, but what I don't understand is that if osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential, then why would it move out of the cell if it has a low water potential... i am just very confused right now and can't get my head around it

If the surrounding solution i.e. the solution outside of the cell is hypertonic than it means that it has a higher concentration of solute molecules and hence a lower water potential. This means water will move out of the cell by osmosis.
It depends whether the cell is hypertonic or the surrounding solution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending