Parametric Equations Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    bottom is

from 2pi/3 to 5pi/3

or

-4pi/3 to -pi/3
    Ah that makes sense. Is there a reason how you knew that the limits in the question would be associated with the upper half of the curve and not the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyM23)
    Ah that makes sense. Is there a reason how you knew that the limits in the question would be associated with the upper half of the curve and not the bottom?
    absolutely
    the values of theta which produce the top half lie between -pi/3 and 2pi/3
    They are even marked in the picture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    absolutely
    the values of theta which produce the top half lie between -pi/3 and 2pi/3
    They are even marked in the picture
    I can see that they are marked in the picture, but what I'm asking is how you knew that, when you were working the limits out, they would be associated with the top half?

ReputationRep:
    I can see that they are marked in the picture, but what I'm asking is how you knew that, when you were working the limits out, they would be associated with the top half?
    because pi/2 which also is marked in the picture lies on the top half and happens to lie between -pi/3 and 2pi/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    because pi/2 which also is marked in the picture lies on the top half and happens to lie between -pi/3 and 2pi/3
    Ah of course. This all seems perfectly clear now. Thank you for bearing with me; this topic has never clicked in my head until now.

Thank you very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    Ah of course. This all seems perfectly clear now. Thank you for bearing with me; this topic has never clicked in my head until now.

Thank you very much for your help
    no worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I have not revised parametrics
    What about your exam?????

I expect more of you Tee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    What about your exam?????

I expect more of you Tee.
    I am sorry about that ... Hopefully nobody noticed

ReputationRep:
    Why do you integrate the curve between A and B? Wouldn't you cut off part of the curve that is between B and E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    Why do you integrate the curve between A and B? Wouldn't you cut off part of the curve that is between B and E?
    you can do it this way too if you are not sure how parametrics work
    look at post 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    you can do it this way too if you are not sure how parametrics work
    look at post 6
    How does parametric integration work exactly?

ReputationRep:
    How does parametric integration work exactly?
    read the posts and look at the question and its solution and it should make more sense, assuming you have seen parametric before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    read the posts and look at the question and its solution and it should make more sense, assuming you have seen parametric before.
    So what area would you be calculating if you integrated between A and E parametrically?

ReputationRep:
    So what area would you be calculating if you integrated between A and E parametrically?
    the area between the curve and the x axis including the little section on the bottom right which you do not want

ReputationRep:
    What I'm saying is why isn't the area calculated this Name:  image.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  56.3 KB
    when you integrate between A and E. If you integrated this using Cartesian coordinates (ignoring the bottom half of the ellipse) between A and E you would calculate the area shown above wouldn't you. But when switching to parametric integration it doesn't seem to be the same. I thought that the only difference between parametric and normal Cartesian integration was that you use the t value for the corresponding c values as the limits. And you integrate with respect to t (and of course multiplying brought by dx/dt). It seems here that there is something fundamentally flawed about how I'm thinking of it.

ReputationRep:
    What I'm saying is why isn't the area calculated this Name:  image.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  56.3 KB
    when you integrate between A and E. If you integrated this using Cartesian coordinates (ignoring the bottom half of the ellipse) between A and E you would calculate the area shown above wouldn't you. But when switching to parametric integration it doesn't seem to be the same. I thought that the only difference between parametric and normal Cartesian integration was that you use the t value for the corresponding c values as the limits. And you integrate with respect to t (and of course multiplying brought by dx/dt). It seems here that there is something fundamentally flawed about how I'm thinking of it.
    ...Name:  k2.gif
Views: 11
Size:  12.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    ...Name:  k2.gif
Views: 11
Size:  12.0 KB
    I know.
    It would be fairly long winded to read at the best of times.

ReputationRep:
    I know.
    It would be fairly long winded to read at the best of times.
    I am off to bed too now
    I am sure tomorrow many eager people here will help you follow this.
    Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    What area would you be calculating if you we're integrating from θ=-π/3 to say θ=π.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.