Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time I'm posting something on TSR, so just wanted to say hi everyone

I'm studying Maths at UCL and I'm thinking of applying to Oxbrige for a MSc, however my first year exam grades really suck (no, this is not the party all throughout your first year cause grades don't matter situation, but I've had to work part-time from the very first days at uni as I'm a foreign student and unfortunately I've got to support myself through university - however, this really doesn't matter). My overall grade is a 2.1 (67%), and out of 8 exams I've passed 7 with a 1st and 2.1, but the other exam is a 3rd, and I know this could really be a deal-breaker.

My second year results will be much better as I've got a lot more time on my hands to spend on studying, hopefully I'll get more than 80 - 85% in most exams, but do you guys think it would be reasonable for me to apply for a MSc at Oxbridge? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you get marks in the 80-85% and your first year performance won't affect your academic references, then it's definitely worth applying. However you normally wouldn't apply until later in your undergrad degree, so you should have a better track record by that point.

For info, Oxford (don't know about Cambridge) bar students from paid employment during term time. You will need to have the means to support yourself before you start your course (it's one of the questions asked on the application form).

Plus the high International fees might be a problem if money is already an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for replying!

Hopefully I will be able to save some money until then and not have to work part-time. However, I have just done some research and couldn't find anything about Oxford not allowing students to work during term time (it's not encouraged apparently due to the intensive workload, but it's not forbidden), are you sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, you're right - the effective ban is for undergrads.

Postgrad guidelines suggest a maximum of 8 hours' paid work a week, which isn't going to help a lot with supporting yourself. Also, they warn that there are limited opportunities for part-time work in Oxford:

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/edc/polici...icyonpaidwork/

You'd need to be very careful not to over-emphasise your need to work when completing the Financial Declaration. If Admissions think that your need to work and earn money is too acute, then you may be at a disadvantage. They won't want to see you focussed on employment rather than studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drn004)
    This is the first time I'm posting something on TSR, so just wanted to say hi everyone

I'm studying Maths at UCL and I'm thinking of applying to Oxbrige for a MSc, however my first year exam grades really suck (no, this is not the party all throughout your first year cause grades don't matter situation, but I've had to work part-time from the very first days at uni as I'm a foreign student and unfortunately I've got to support myself through university - however, this really doesn't matter). My overall grade is a 2.1 (67%), and out of 8 exams I've passed 7 with a 1st and 2.1, but the other exam is a 3rd, and I know this could really be a deal-breaker.

My second year results will be much better as I've got a lot more time on my hands to spend on studying, hopefully I'll get more than 80 - 85% in most exams, but do you guys think it would be reasonable for me to apply for a MSc at Oxbridge? Thanks!
    definitely

ReputationRep:
    Definitely apply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the replies! I guess I will give it a shot and see how it goes, basically I've got nothing to lose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.