Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    -My parents say that im not confident enough. I think I am. I didn't take drama for a level (i took GCSE but i don't think that matters really)
    - They say there are no jobs in Musical Theatre
    -I do ballet
    -I like to think i can sing (this one time my mum cried! she says that i can but i think shes bias!)

This is what I really want to do but im not allowed, is there any way to show them that its a good job! I am happy to move to London if it means being in a show!

ReputationRep:
    More important -- can you actually get a career out of musical theatre? As a professional?

Where are you applying?

There are jobs in musical theatre, but those jobs are only reserved for the very best in the country. Are you one of them/have the potential to become one of them?

Sure if you love it then go ahead and study but don't expect a job out of it.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Het98)
    -My parents say that im not confident enough. I think I am. I didn't take drama for a level (i took GCSE but i don't think that matters really)
    - They say there are no jobs in Musical Theatre
    -I do ballet
    -I like to think i can sing (this one time my mum cried! she says that i can but i think shes bias!)

This is what I really want to do but im not allowed, is there any way to show them that its a good job! I am happy to move to London if it means being in a show!
    Hi Het98,

Great to hear you’re passionate about musical theatre!

Although there’s no simple answer to the question, I can hopefully respond to some of the key points you’ve addressed.

Firstly, I wouldn’t agree that there are no jobs in musical theatre. No matter how big or small, there are so many musical theatre production companies out there in the UK that you can approach, or may be looking for new talent. (Take a look at some of our alumni who have gone into various productions: http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/study/...theatre/alumni ) However, the reality is that the performing arts industry is competitive – whether that’s in musical theatre, dance or classical music etc. It may take more dedication, passion and work ethic in order to build a thriving career in musical theatre than other business sectors.

But it doesn’t end there. There are so many employable skills and experiences you can gain from studying musical theatre that are transferable not just on the stage, but other jobs in the wider performing arts and entertainment industry. If you're interested, we have a useful guide on Careers in Musical Theatre on our website, with a list of sites that advertise jobs and performance opportunities: http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/studen...usical-theatre

Although studying musical theatre at a university or conservatoire may not be the ‘golden ticket’ to a professional career, it can provide a great springboard into the profession. To add to this, success in this industry doesn’t come without building a rich network of contacts from the performing arts world – universities and conservatoires offer the chance to develop strong relationships with industry professionals and fellow students who have similar aspirations.

Just as an example, the final year of the BA (Hons) Musical Theatre Performance at Trinity Laban culminates in an agent showcase performed at a high-profile venue. The courses we offer our taught through intensive practical training, so students have the opportunity to study in an environment that parallels professional life. Our unrivalled professional staff our leading industry professionals who can prepare you for life in this very competitive scene. Though I can’t speak for other institutions that offer musical theatre courses, I’m certain that they also offer a great level of training, support and strong links with the industry as well.

It’s always sensible to consider how the course of your choice will help you in the near future, but what’s equally important is making sure you pursue an educational and professional path that you passionately believe in! But the onus is on you – if you have the strong work ethic, devoted and enthusiastic, don’t let anyone put you off in achieving your ambitions.

Hope you find this useful. If you want to know more about the Musical Theatre department (we have a three-year undergraduate degree and a one-year foundation degree) at Trinity Laban, we’d love to hear from you! Likewise, if you have any other questions, feel free to drop a reply!

All the best,

Isaku

ReputationRep:
    wow you seem so passionate, which is great but in part your parents are right as it is SO hard ( and expensive!) to get into , maybe try some am dram shows to show them you`re really committed and gain experience of being in a show at the same time , as it really is not easy. Also some vocal/acting classes will be needed. When you feel comfortable with that try some bigger shows , working your way up to west end. As you have ballet experience you`re likely to get a role as many shows such as phantom of the opera for example require dancers as well. Honestly even if you do all of this and don`t get a job doing it there are many skills you learn from it such as working in a theatre environment and acting skills that even if it takes time will translate into a job . Whatever happens DON`T LOSE YOUR PASSION FOR IT and keep having fun with it as that`s what theatre is meant to be.:-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.