Are these A levels too much work or too difficult?

Watch
under8ed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently considering taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level. My question is, are these A levels hard and/or too much work? What is it like taking these and how much time does it take up? Is it much more work than other A level students need?Would love to here from current students taking these subjects. I am considering Engineering/ maths/ computer science as possible degrees

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!An y Advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm going to start these in September; as long as you keep on track and work as hard as you can, you should be fine!
Mutleybm1996
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by under8ed)
I am currently considering taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level. My question is, are these A levels hard and/or too much work? What is it like taking these and how much time does it take up? Is it much more work than other A level students need?Would love to here from current students taking these subjects. I am considering Engineering/ maths/ computer science as possible degrees

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!An y Advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
I did all of that plus Biology...it's fine
vannson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Honestly, it's fine, my friend last year did those for A2, and got something like A*A*AA, I'm doing all of those except chemistry (for A2 as well), applying for mech eng, and if anything, I think it might be easier than doing 3, in your case 4, separate subjects (maths and further maths are practically the same subject). In terms of workload, I hear that there's a lot in chemistry, but Maths, F maths and physics are fine for me, I probably spend less time working than some other people haha
under8ed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mutleybm1996)
Are you doing your second year? And how much extra time and work do u need to put in?
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Taking all of them (a2 atm), as with anything how long it takes is very dependent on how quickly you learn stuff. There is a fair amount of crossover between maths and physics (the mechanics modules of maths) and personally i found that the majority of my time was spent on chem. Anyway feel free to ask anything
under8ed
Rep:
?
(Original post by vannson)
Honestly, it's fine, my friend last year did those for A2, and got something like A*A*AA, I'm doing all of those except chemistry (for A2 as well), applying for mech eng, and if anything, I think it might be easier than doing 3, in your case 4, separate subjects (maths and further maths are practically the same subject). In terms of workload, I hear that there's a lot in chemistry, but Maths, F maths and physics are fine for me, I probably spend less time working than some other people haha
Aha right im thinking of dropping chemistry too
under8ed
Rep:
?
(Original post by samb1234)
Taking all of them (a2 atm), as with anything how long it takes is very dependent on how quickly you learn stuff. There is a fair amount of crossover between maths and physics (the mechanics modules of maths) and personally i found that the majority of my time was spent on chem. Anyway feel free to ask anything
Would you say that u r a quick learner? and how hard i chemistry?
Pentaquark
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im doing them at AS currently! Its not too bad I find maths and further maths a lot easier than say chem or physics.
Just make sure you concentrate fully in lessons. In some chemistry lessons I didn't really pay any attention so I had to do more work at home in order to understand it.
Adeel Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on how hardworking you are. This is as honest an answer as you'll get. I personally, want to get A's with minimal work and am good at maths which is why I chose M + FM. Chemistry I also enjoy but struggle to get A's however hopefully with A's I should get there. Biology is just a memory game. Very boring and tedious if you ask me. Can't wait to drop it. Have no experience with physics.
ruby420
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing the same. It's a lot of work, but possible if you consistently work. Got AAAB at AS with not too much trouble.

At A2 it's much more difficult.
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would you say that u r a quick learner? and how hard i chemistry?
Yes i am a quick learner. Chemistry was the subject i did worstin but its by no means impossible, the actual questions themselves arent that hard it just takes a long time to build up the knowledge base required to answer them
deww6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mutleybm1996)
Mate your either really clever or Mad because that just sounds insane
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I took that plus biology, STEP etc.. I know someone who took that(plus tried and failed STEP). It depends what you're good at, but it's more work than doing 3 obviously. You should probably be doing an average of about 36 hours a week including lessons. You will have a lot of your exams in year 13 so watch out for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (84)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.25%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.31%

Watched Threads