Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are these A levels too much work or too difficult? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently considering taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level. My question is, are these A levels hard and/or too much work? What is it like taking these and how much time does it take up? Is it much more work than other A level students need?Would love to here from current students taking these subjects. I am considering Engineering/ maths/ computer science as possible degrees

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!An y Advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start these in September; as long as you keep on track and work as hard as you can, you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by under8ed)
    I am currently considering taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level. My question is, are these A levels hard and/or too much work? What is it like taking these and how much time does it take up? Is it much more work than other A level students need?Would love to here from current students taking these subjects. I am considering Engineering/ maths/ computer science as possible degrees

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!An y Advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    I did all of that plus Biology...it's fine

ReputationRep:

Honestly, it's fine, my friend last year did those for A2, and got something like A*A*AA, I'm doing all of those except chemistry (for A2 as well), applying for mech eng, and if anything, I think it might be easier than doing 3, in your case 4, separate subjects (maths and further maths are practically the same subject). In terms of workload, I hear that there's a lot in chemistry, but Maths, F maths and physics are fine for me, I probably spend less time working than some other people haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    Are you doing your second year? And how much extra time and work do u need to put in?

ReputationRep:
    Taking all of them (a2 atm), as with anything how long it takes is very dependent on how quickly you learn stuff. There is a fair amount of crossover between maths and physics (the mechanics modules of maths) and personally i found that the majority of my time was spent on chem. Anyway feel free to ask anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vannson)
    Honestly, it's fine, my friend last year did those for A2, and got something like A*A*AA, I'm doing all of those except chemistry (for A2 as well), applying for mech eng, and if anything, I think it might be easier than doing 3, in your case 4, separate subjects (maths and further maths are practically the same subject). In terms of workload, I hear that there's a lot in chemistry, but Maths, F maths and physics are fine for me, I probably spend less time working than some other people haha
    Aha right im thinking of dropping chemistry too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Taking all of them (a2 atm), as with anything how long it takes is very dependent on how quickly you learn stuff. There is a fair amount of crossover between maths and physics (the mechanics modules of maths) and personally i found that the majority of my time was spent on chem. Anyway feel free to ask anything
    Would you say that u r a quick learner? and how hard i chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Im doing them at AS currently! Its not too bad I find maths and further maths a lot easier than say chem or physics.
    Just make sure you concentrate fully in lessons. In some chemistry lessons I didn't really pay any attention so I had to do more work at home in order to understand it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how hardworking you are. This is as honest an answer as you'll get. I personally, want to get A's with minimal work and am good at maths which is why I chose M + FM. Chemistry I also enjoy but struggle to get A's however hopefully with A's I should get there. Biology is just a memory game. Very boring and tedious if you ask me. Can't wait to drop it. Have no experience with physics.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the same. It's a lot of work, but possible if you consistently work. Got AAAB at AS with not too much trouble.

At A2 it's much more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and Electronics at AS, and dropped Computing into A2. I would say that for AS it is all fine, A2 is fine too, but be prepared to put the work in for the second year.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that u r a quick learner? and how hard i chemistry?
    Yes i am a quick learner. Chemistry was the subject i did worstin but its by no means impossible, the actual questions themselves arent that hard it just takes a long time to build up the knowledge base required to answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    Mate your either really clever or Mad because that just sounds insane

ReputationRep:

I took that plus biology, STEP etc.. I know someone who took that(plus tried and failed STEP). It depends what you're good at, but it's more work than doing 3 obviously. You should probably be doing an average of about 36 hours a week including lessons. You will have a lot of your exams in year 13 so watch out for that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.