Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently trying to decide between Bristol and Birmingham Uni for Psychology, any advice?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lh9780)
    I'm currently trying to decide between Bristol and Birmingham Uni for Psychology, any advice?
    Both courses will be of a high quality so I would decide based on where you would prefer to live, other opportunities available to you etc.

In Bristol you would get to use the greatest kebab van of all time:

ReputationRep:
    I am also trying to decide between Bristol and Birmingham for psychology!
    I love the course at Birmingham uni and the campus, but I prefer Bristol as a place as I know lots of people there already and its a familiar place to me as I visit often.

Have you had offers from both unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiedrysdale)
    I am also trying to decide between Bristol and Birmingham for psychology!
    I love the course at Birmingham uni and the campus, but I prefer Bristol as a place as I know lots of people there already and its a familiar place to me as I visit often.

Have you had offers from both unis?

That's the exact same here! Yes I've had offers from both at slightly different grades though, you?

ReputationRep:
    Really?! I'm so glad someone else feels the same haha! I really don't know how to make my mind up. Where are you from? I'm from Cardiff so Bristol is closer for me and I know I'll want to pop home on some weekends to see my boyfriend/family/friends etc.

What subjects are you doing and what are the offers? I've had both my offers too! I did my a levels in 2014 so I'm not waiting on any grades I just have to make my mind up.

ReputationRep:
    Really?! I'm so glad someone else feels the same haha! I really don't know how to make my mind up. Where are you from? I'm from Cardiff so Bristol is closer for me and I know I'll want to pop home on some weekends to see my boyfriend/family/friends etc.

What subjects are you doing and what are the offers? I've had both my offers too! I did my a levels in 2014 so I'm not waiting on any grades I just have to make my mind up.

I'm from Exeter so yes same here, I'm doing Art, French and Psychology and the EPQ, Bristol have offered me AAA/AAB+A in EPQ, and Birmingham have offered me AAB/ABB+A in EPQ

Ah that's so much easier then, what grades did you get and what subjects did you take?

ReputationRep:
    I did French and Psychology too! Yeah, Bristol's entry requirements are slightly higher, I think on their website it says they offer AAA including a science but Birmingham say they want AAA/AAB with a science.
    I took French, Psychology and English Lit, I got AAB+WBQ (the B was in French). Technically I was slightly under Bristol's requirement but they still accepted so I don't think they're really as strict as they make out! So I'm sure you'll get in with AAB+EPQ

Did you go to the Bristol open day? I only went to one of their open afternoons so I feel like I haven't got a good overview of Psychology there as I didn't even see the Psychology department.

ReputationRep:
    I did French and Psychology too! Yeah, Bristol's entry requirements are slightly higher, I think on their website it says they offer AAA including a science but Birmingham say they want AAA/AAB with a science.
    I took French, Psychology and English Lit, I got AAB+WBQ (the B was in French). Technically I was slightly under Bristol's requirement but they still accepted so I don't think they're really as strict as they make out! So I'm sure you'll get in with AAB+EPQ

Did you go to the Bristol open day? I only went to one of their open afternoons so I feel like I haven't got a good overview of Psychology there as I didn't even see the Psychology department.

I'm finding psychology A2 quite difficult as there is SO much to learn but I got an A at AS so hopefully I'll get an A overall, same with French:') ah that's so good! thank you I really hope so, no I didn't, I went for a campus tour, but I'm going back for a psychology applicant visit day in March It's just so difficult because I love the Birmingham campus but Bristol city looks amazing

ReputationRep:
    Aw try not to worry! Well done for the A in AS that's amazing! I did awfully in my AS's as I just didn't revise and then I managed to bring it back up in resits and my A2 exams.
    All I would say about Psychology is just to practice and practice all the essay titles that might come up and just make sure you know the key points to each of them that can spark your thoughts during the exam. There's no point in trying to completely know all the essays word by word because you won't remember it all as there are so many essays! There is so much work it's really hard!
    French was definitely my hardest, I can't even believe I scraped the B haha!

I'm going to an applicant visit day in March too did you go to Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    Aw try not to worry! Well done for the A in AS that's amazing! I did awfully in my AS's as I just didn't revise and then I managed to bring it back up in resits and my A2 exams.
    All I would say about Psychology is just to practice and practice all the essay titles that might come up and just make sure you know the key points to each of them that can spark your thoughts during the exam. There's no point in trying to completely know all the essays word by word because you won't remember it all as there are so many essays! There is so much work it's really hard!
    French was definitely my hardest, I can't even believe I scraped the B haha!

I'm going to an applicant visit day in March too did you go to Birmingham?
    Yes that's what I was planning to do, just learning everything seems so so daunting:') Art A level is sooo much work! I went to the Birmingham open day and absolutely loved it, going back up in February though for the applicant day/look around the city and you? Are you edging slightly towards either one or is it a real 50/50 split?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lh9780)
    Yes that's what I was planning to do, just learning everything seems so so daunting:' Art A level is sooo much work! I went to the Birmingham open day and absolutely loved it, going back up in February though for the applicant day/look around the city and you? Are you edging slightly towards either one or is it a real 50/50 split?
    Ah I can't even imagine! It must be endless amounts for Art!
    Me too! The uni was so beautiful and I loved the big campus feel. Just slightly worried about Birmingham nightlife as I don't go to big pop music club nights they're not really my thing, I prefer smaller independent music nights or dnb/some house nights and I'm not really sure what nights there are like that in Bham, all I know is that there are loads of big clubs like Glam/Oceana etc :/

I know it sounds like a silly thing to be worried about but if I wasn't happy living there and going out then I'd find it hard I think. My gut is telling me to go to Birmingham because I really loved the uni when I went and I feel like they're so organised and stuff, they've sent me loads of emails about the uni and about the psychology department and what it offers, whereas Bristol haven't really done that. And Bristol seemed a bit snobby compared to Bham, it's really old fashioned and has quite a posh reputation whereas Bham is more modern!
    But my head is saying go to Bristol because it's closer/I know that I love the place/it's cheaper and easier for my boyfriend to come and visit. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is slightly more prestigious

ReputationRep:
    Ah I can't even imagine! It must be endless amounts for Art!
    Me too! The uni was so beautiful and I loved the big campus feel. Just slightly worried about Birmingham nightlife as I don't go to big pop music club nights they're not really my thing, I prefer smaller independent music nights or dnb/some house nights and I'm not really sure what nights there are like that in Bham, all I know is that there are loads of big clubs like Glam/Oceana etc :/

I know it sounds like a silly thing to be worried about but if I wasn't happy living there and going out then I'd find it hard I think. My gut is telling me to go to Birmingham because I really loved the uni when I went and I feel like they're so organised and stuff, they've sent me loads of emails about the uni and about the psychology department and what it offers, whereas Bristol haven't really done that. And Bristol seemed a bit snobby compared to Bham, it's really old fashioned and has quite a posh reputation whereas Bham is more modern!
    But my head is saying go to Bristol because it's closer/I know that I love the place/it's cheaper and easier for my boyfriend to come and visit. What about you?

Yes I'm exactly the same I really love small gigs and just cultural city stuff, and I've heard Bristol night life is absolutely incredible! I would say go with your gut feeling, unless you really feel like you're not going to like it, however you could go back and see them both one last time before making your decision? That's what I'm planning to do anyway I have no idea, I'm so torn:') I love Bristol as a city it's so friendly

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the nightlife there is amazing! there's loads of varied nights out which makes it easy to do different things
    I have booked on to applicant days for both so hopefully then I'll be able to make a decision haha
    Good luck with whatever decision you make, let me know where you decide!

ReputationRep:
    i was torn between these 2 unis for psychology and i've picked birmingham in the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashasalvatore1)
    i was torn between these 2 unis for psychology and i've picked birmingham in the end!
    Aw really! What made you pick Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about the two cities or universities, so I'll just offer some general advice.

I think its really hard to get an idea of which course is 'better' or more suited to you from the information you get beforehand, university work is so much different from A-level, you may find that your preferences will change any way. The majority of the courses will be the same in order to meet the GBC criteria - the reality is, you could pick the 'perfect' university, course wise, then find out its a disorganised mess. Besides, there will always be good and bad bits to every course.

University is an incredibly stressful period of life. It is one of the absolute best, I loved uni, but looking back on it I realise just how chaotic and negative many of my experiences are. I'm not saying that to put you off, it's part of growing up and is a result of living alone, away from support networks for the first time.

I think its really important to enjoy university as much as possible, to be somewhere you feel safe and comfortable and this will help you do better in your degree more than the specifics of the course (in my opinion and barring any catastrophic failures of the department). Every city will have its 'go to' places for the things you need/want (so, if you don't like the traditional clubs, there will be your type somewhere out there). Try and pick the city that best fits what you want and need to feel at home.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm in the exact same position! I'm from Cardiff too and already have my grades, Bristol seems like the nicer city and it's closer to home, but I prefer Birminghams course so I think I will probably firm Birmingham. I dropped out of Surrey university three weeks into it (also was doing psych) because their department was awful and the course content wasn't as good as Birmingham or Bristols! Hope I haven't made the same mistake again by applying for the same course!

ReputationRep:
    Aw really! What made you pick Birmingham?
    a few days after the buzz of being at bristol died down i started to realise that it was a university i couldn't see myself being at. the city wasn't lively enough for me and i felt very out of place with some of the people i was around... there were many private school kids there and while i have nothing wrong with them, it is heavily independent school orientated so i felt like i stuck out. also the uni facilities at Bristol aren't even half as good as they are at birmingham. and when i got achievement rates 25% of 150 students at bristol achieved a 1st, and 35% of 300 students at birmingham achieved a 1st

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashasalvatore1)
    a few days after the buzz of being at bristol died down i started to realise that it was a university i couldn't see myself being at. the city wasn't lively enough for me and i felt very out of place with some of the people i was around... there were many private school kids there and while i have nothing wrong with them, it is heavily independent school orientated so i felt like i stuck out. also the uni facilities at Bristol aren't even half as good as they are at birmingham. and when i got achievement rates 25% of 150 students at bristol achieved a 1st, and 35% of 300 students at birmingham achieved a 1st
    I confirmed my place at Birmingham today! So excited now!

Thank you so much for your response - you literally said exactly what I was thinking the whole time whilst I was deciding! There are a lot of people from private schools there and to me it just seems that people think its so good just because of it's name, when I compared their stats on that KITS website, Bham got 91% student satisfaction compared to just 77% in Bristol! Just because Bristol is posh/prestigious people think it's better, but going by student satisfaction makes a lot more sense to me seeing as I will be one of them soon haha!

I also wasnt very impressed by Bristol because - I wanted to arrange to go to the uni and see the psych department and talk to one of the psych admissions tutors as I have to have an operation soon so I wasnt going to be able to make their open day in March. However, when I emailed the Bristol admissions people, they wrote me back a reply saying that I "wasnt allowed to have a meeting with anyone from the psychology department" and the woman who wrote the email didnt offer any alternative and she wasn't at all helpful! I emailed back trying to explain more about why I needed to speak to someone and to see the uni properly, and she never replied! And that was a week/2 weeks ago ago.

I also just haven't been very impressed with them in terms of their efforts to make me want to go there to study - when I got my offer from Birmingham they sent me a congratulations letter and they keep sending me interesting emails about what is going on in the city and in the uni! Bristol didn't do any of that and I just feel like they didn't even care that I was interested in going there!
    Overall I felt that Birmingham just seemed so enthusiastic and positive which makes me really feel like they want me to study there!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.