Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm applying for accommodation for my first year at Kent and was wondering if it's worth it to get an ensuite? I'm mostly concerned with sharing a bathroom with strangers (if they're messy, unhygienic etc), but it is a lot more money. The cheapest ensuite room is £148.54 per week (Tyler Court A) compared to £108.64 (Parkwood House) for a shared bathroom between 5 people.

I get that it would really depend on who I'm actually sharing with, but for anyone whose gone through the experience which would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    That is incredibly expensive. And it seems to me no matter what way you slice it getting an ensuite is pretty much going to devour most of, if not all of your loan.

have you written up a budget to determine how much you would be left with per week paying for an ensuite.
    In my opinion unless you need your own bathroom for health reasons, have money to waste or you can find a reasonably priced one an ensuite is never worth the extra money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That is incredibly expensive. And it seems to me no matter what way you slice it getting an ensuite is pretty much going to devour most of, if not all of your loan.

have you written up a budget to determine how much you would be left with per week paying for an ensuite.
    In my opinion unless you need your own bathroom for health reasons, have money to waste or you can find a reasonably priced one an ensuite is never worth the extra money.

Yeah it's ridiculous to be honest. I've already got savings, so should hopefully have at least 1k through that in addition to the government grant that's around 8k due to my household income, so in theory it'll be covered as I'm money-conscious/good at budgeting as it is.

The main reason I want an ensuite is because I don't know the people - they could come back after a night out and vomit everywhere, leave the toilet unflushed etc etc and I'm not sure if I want to risk it. It would just be a lot easier in general. Although it's not a necessity it is preferable for the first year at least, until I get to know people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevie.B)
    Yeah it's ridiculous to be honest. I've already got savings, so should hopefully have at least 1k through that in addition to the government grant that's around 8k due to my household income, so in theory it'll be covered as I'm money-conscious/good at budgeting as it is.

The main reason I want an ensuite is because I don't know the people - they could come back after a night out and vomit everywhere, leave the toilet unflushed etc etc and I'm not sure if I want to risk it. It would just be a lot easier in general. Although it's not a necessity it is preferable for the first year at least, until I get to know people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's still going to eat away at a good 6k and remember you need to be able to afford a deposit for 2nd year housing too not to mention some places you may have to start paying rent before you get student finance for 2nd year, and honestly I fail to see how that is worth a cleaner bathroom. Yes you may end up with someone who is a bit gross, but chances are the you'll end up with more clean people than messy people. And the gross person will likely end up getting shouted at until they clean up by everyone else. Is it really paying several thousand pounds more just avoid the possibility of having to give a messy house mate a telling off?

ReputationRep:
    It's still going to eat away at a good 6k and remember you need to be able to afford a deposit for 2nd year housing too not to mention some places you may have to start paying rent before you get student finance for 2nd year, and honestly I fail to see how that is worth a cleaner bathroom. Yes you may end up with someone who is a bit gross, but chances are the you'll end up with more clean people than messy people. And the gross person will likely end up getting shouted at until they clean up by everyone else. Is it really paying several thousand pounds more just avoid the possibility of having to give a messy house mate a telling off?
    Yeah, I think I'll just go with shared - better to be safe than sorry money-wise. I suppose sharing makes everyone a bit more social anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I'll just go with shared - better to be safe than sorry money-wise. I suppose sharing makes everyone a bit more social anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I mean which will be harder to deal with in the long run. Not having enough money? Or not having a clean bathroom? That's the way I see it anyway.

Good luck with uni, hope you have a great time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I mean which will be harder to deal with in the long run. Not having enough money? Or not having a clean bathroom? That's the way I see it anyway.

Good luck with uni, hope you have a great time.
    Yeah I guess, thanks and thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at Turing houses? It is a shared bathroom between 2 people which is quite a bit cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinfarts)
    Have you looked at Turing houses? It is a shared bathroom between 2 people which is quite a bit cheaper.
    Yeah I've been looking at those funnily enough, I think I'll go for that instead. They look quite nice aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then again I thought these were mostly for the students with wheelchairs?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Then again I thought these were mostly for the students with wheelchairs?
    Not to my knowledge and I don't think a lot of them are actually that suitable.

ReputationRep:
    Not to my knowledge and I don't think a lot of them are actually that suitable.
    Ah I see. The Turing and Keynes houses are the only ones I've been looking at that are actually wheelchair accessible so I wasn't sure whether it was mostly for them or not.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm trying to decide between a shared bathroom between 2 or 5 Maybe sharing with more people will be better/more social? Otherwise I'll be less inclined to get to know people...plus the shared between 2 is still £30 more, adding up to around £1170 more that I could save...the rooms for Turing and Keynes do look really nice though? Argh this is giving me a headache
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm trying to decide between a shared bathroom between 2 or 5 Maybe sharing with more people will be better/more social? Otherwise I'll be less inclined to get to know people...plus the shared between 2 is still £30 more, adding up to around £1170 more that I could save...the rooms for Turing and Keynes do look really nice though? Argh this is giving me a headache
    Ok well if you want to be reminded of another choice, there are 2 varieties of parkwood houses, One with 2 bathrooms between 6 people and one with one bathroom between 5 people xD.

ReputationRep:
    The more people you live with the more potential friends you are introduced to. An extra £1170 is a lot, and trust me you'll miss it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well if you want to be reminded of another choice, there are 2 varieties of parkwood houses, One with 2 bathrooms between 6 people and one with one bathroom between 5 people xD.
    Ahah yeah thanks, forgot about that xD. There's also Darwin college thats between the two prices, but it doesn't say how many people I'd be sharing with? Any idea?

ReputationRep:
    The more people you live with the more potential friends you are introduced to. An extra £1170 is a lot, and trust me you'll miss it.
    Yeah that's my plan. I think I'll go for sharing with more people for the social benefits, hopefully it'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's my plan. I think I'll go for sharing with more people for the social benefits, hopefully it'll be ok.
    hey im also applying for my first year at kent but i cant seem to log in/ register to apply for accommodation , ive managed to get on the KentVision applicant portal but thats about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobCookieXD)
    hey im also applying for my first year at kent but i cant seem to log in/ register to apply for accommodation , ive managed to get on the KentVision applicant portal but thats about it...
    Hey, if you go on to Kent's website to the accommodation section then on the right side it should say something about new students 2016, if you go on to that you should be able to find it to register. Hope this helps 😊 If you need more details or anything feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if you go on to Kent's website to the accommodation section then on the right side it should say something about new students 2016, if you go on to that you should be able to find it to register. Hope this helps 😊 If you need more details or anything feel free to askPosted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah im on the login page but if i try to login then 'user not recognised' and trying to register with my name, date of birth and student ID then ' Student not found' Am i being stupid?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.