Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Looking at accommodation for Sep 2016 and found westminster bridge, I'm liking the looks of the place and the location compared to Wembley accommodation for Uni of Westminster. But does anyone have any reviews of the place? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshuaEason)
    Hello. Looking at accommodation for Sep 2016 and found westminster bridge, I'm liking the looks of the place and the location compared to Wembley accommodation for Uni of Westminster. But does anyone have any reviews of the place? Thank you
    Hello! Full disclosure, I only stayed at WBSA for 2 weeks last year when the building was brand new. I left because of the noise and the problems associated with the 'just-opened' factor.

Good: By now, they have opened the cafe in the lobby, the 18th floor balcony/laundry, the gym/pool, and cinema room. The pool is small but it IS in the building, which is convenient. They have bikes available to rent and 24/7 concierge. The views in some of the rooms are fantastic (Big Ben side), and the 18th floor view is pretty amazing. Sometimes they host parties/events with free food and activities. Rooms with private bathroom are comfortable and attractive, if small.

Bad: I left mostly because management was horrific. Yes, it was a new building, which was unfinished, but package pick-up was unorganized (people given others' parcels, things going missing), garbage disposal was a disaster, water was being shut off randomly at least once a day for construction, there were 6 washers/dryers for 1000 kids (and they ran out of laundry cards, so some people couldn't even do laundry for 2 weeks), the fire alarm went off at least once a day, etc. Plus, all of the features listed above (gym, cinema room, pool, etc) were not open, despite being supposedly included in our rent. They did refund us 1 week of rent, but the problems persisted long after the 1st week.

By now, assuming most of those things are resolved, I would say the main drawback to WBSA is also its strength: location. Very central and close to many universities/things in central London, but also practically on top of the tracks leading to/from Waterloo station. Depending on your room location, the screeching of the trains on the curved tracks can be heard constantly. Picking between that noise and a hot room (closed window) is not fun. I say this as someone currently living on top of (different) train tracks - it's one thing to hear trains passing, another to hear them squealing around curves.

I will also just warn anyone reading this that should you decide to move out, you may not be refunded for 4 months, contrary to their '28 business day' assurance. For this reason alone I will never encourage anyone to do business with Urbanest. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

This sounds bitter, probably. Apologies. Please visit before you book!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverflame)
    Hello! Full disclosure, I only stayed at WBSA for 2 weeks last year when the building was brand new. I left because of the noise and the problems associated with the 'just-opened' factor.

Good: By now, they have opened the cafe in the lobby, the 18th floor balcony/laundry, the gym/pool, and cinema room. The pool is small but it IS in the building, which is convenient. They have bikes available to rent and 24/7 concierge. The views in some of the rooms are fantastic (Big Ben side), and the 18th floor view is pretty amazing. Sometimes they host parties/events with free food and activities. Rooms with private bathroom are comfortable and attractive, if small.

Bad: I left mostly because management was horrific. Yes, it was a new building, which was unfinished, but package pick-up was unorganized (people given others' parcels, things going missing), garbage disposal was a disaster, water was being shut off randomly at least once a day for construction, there were 6 washers/dryers for 1000 kids (and they ran out of laundry cards, so some people couldn't even do laundry for 2 weeks), the fire alarm went off at least once a day, etc. Plus, all of the features listed above (gym, cinema room, pool, etc) were not open, despite being supposedly included in our rent. They did refund us 1 week of rent, but the problems persisted long after the 1st week.

By now, assuming most of those things are resolved, I would say the main drawback to WBSA is also its strength: location. Very central and close to many universities/things in central London, but also practically on top of the tracks leading to/from Waterloo station. Depending on your room location, the screeching of the trains on the curved tracks can be heard constantly. Picking between that noise and a hot room (closed window) is not fun. I say this as someone currently living on top of (different) train tracks - it's one thing to hear trains passing, another to hear them squealing around curves.

I will also just warn anyone reading this that should you decide to move out, you may not be refunded for 4 months, contrary to their '28 business day' assurance. For this reason alone I will never encourage anyone to do business with Urbanest. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

This sounds bitter, probably. Apologies. Please visit before you book!
    Hey thanks a lot for your informative post, particularly when advertisements of these private student halls are usually biased and misleading. Now I will probably think twice before going there for my next year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.