Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR MHoC Budget Report 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Unknown chemicals?

“Like sugar, sweeteners provide a sweet taste to foods and drinks, but what sets them apart is that, after consumption, sweeteners don’t increase blood sugar levels,” she says. “While more research is needed, sweeteners continue to have a useful role in offering a sweet taste without adding extra calories,"

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...weeteners.aspx
    I was referring to the research done by Harvard University that found sweeteners cause taste receptors to permanently change which will put people off the taste of fruit, potentially worsening a diet. The research published by NPG found sweeteners damaged the ability of our brains to associate sweetness with high calorific food, leading to people who regularly consume sweeteners in diet drinks being twice as likely to be overweight than people who consumed the drinks with sugar in. More research by the National Diabetes Journal found sweetener intake increased the risk of metabolic syndrome, and Type 2 diabetes; the two very diseases sweeteners are meant to cut. The American Hearth Foundation in its research concluded that there is insufficient evidence the use of sweeteners will cut risk but warned no diseases will be reduced if sugar is replaced in the same quantities by unknown sweeteners. The increase in the risks of some types of cancer, unnatural increase in the heart rate, and authorities acting to ban some sweeteners that were once considered safe is proof the world of sweeteners is not sweet; it is a murky unknown which could do more harm than good if rushed in to.

I support sugar reduction, but it needs to be done in a way that does not create a new problem in sweeteners; using restrictions on the amount of sugar allowed to be in food is a better step forwards than promoting artificial chemicals to replace a natural substance individuals have been consuming for hundreds of years.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigel farage mep)
    i was referring to the research done by harvard university which found sweeteners cause taste receptors to permanently change which will put people off the taste of fruit, potentially worsening a diet. The research published by npg found sweeteners damaged the ability of our brains to associate sweetness with high calorific food, leading to people who regularly consume sweeteners in diet drinks being twice as likely to be overweight than people who consumed the drinks with sugar in. More research by the national diabetes journal found sweetener intake increased the risk of metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes; the two very diseases sweeteners are meant to cut. The american hearth foundation in its research concluded that there is insufficient evidence the use of sweeteners will cut risk but warned no diseases will be reduced if sugar is replaced in the same quantities by unknown sweeteners. The increase in the risks of some types of cancer, unnatural increase in the heart rate, and authorities acting to ban some sweeteners that were once considered safe is proof the world of sweeteners is not sweet; it is a murky unknown which could do more harm than good if rushed in to.
    evasion inbound!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    evasion inbound!!!
    I fully expect it, some members of the government are very talented at ignoring evidence, good questions, suggestions, or logic if it means achieving their goal.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I fully expect it, some members of the government are very talented at ignoring evidence, good questions, suggestions, or logic if it means achieving their goal.
    I believe this will be the sixth time I ask James Milibanter if he has any intention to fix his budget so it is accounted correctly, or even offer rebuttals for my points. Last time I was even kinda enough to link him to the original post, save him from that incredible hardship of scrolling through a couple of pages to find it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I believe this will be the sixth time I ask James Milibanter if he has any intention to fix his budget so it is accounted correctly, or even offer rebuttals for my points. Last time I was even kinda enough to link him to the original post, save him from that incredible hardship of scrolling through a couple of pages to find it.
    The Chancellor does understand quantitative easing; complex government finance, or rebuttal to very good questions is unlikely. The Chancellor is relying in Labour, their puppet Liberal MPs, and sympathetic Greens to force the budget through with no responses given to the opposition.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The Chancellor does understand quantitative easing; complex government finance, or rebuttal to very good questions is unlikely. The Chancellor is relying in Labour, their puppet Liberal MPs, and sympathetic Greens to force the budget through with no responses given to the opposition.
    Of course the finance isn't even complex, as said in AtG, he has failed on day 1 of accounting.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Of course the finance isn't even complex, as said in AtG, he has failed on day 1 of accounting.
    He was not an accountant but a self-trained bookkeeper, however, I agree with your point. The budget is not really a budget, but a spending review with wrong figures based on things that have not been done, the government is a bigger disaster than first thought because the MPs worship this publication thinking it will solve all economic woes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the research done by Harvard University that found sweeteners cause taste receptors to permanently change which will put people off the taste of fruit, potentially worsening a diet. The research published by NPG found sweeteners damaged the ability of our brains to associate sweetness with high calorific food, leading to people who regularly consume sweeteners in diet drinks being twice as likely to be overweight than people who consumed the drinks with sugar in. More research by the National Diabetes Journal found sweetener intake increased the risk of metabolic syndrome, and Type 2 diabetes; the two very diseases sweeteners are meant to cut. The American Hearth Foundation in its research concluded that there is insufficient evidence the use of sweeteners will cut risk but warned no diseases will be reduced if sugar is replaced in the same quantities by unknown sweeteners. The increase in the risks of some types of cancer, unnatural increase in the heart rate, and authorities acting to ban some sweeteners that were once considered safe is proof the world of sweeteners is not sweet; it is a murky unknown which could do more harm than good if rushed in to.

I support sugar reduction, but it needs to be done in a way that does not create a new problem in sweeteners; using restrictions on the amount of sugar allowed to be in food is a better step forwards than promoting artificial chemicals to replace a natural substance individuals have been consuming for hundreds of years.
    And that does not address the point beyond reinforcing the idea that we just don't know. For a start most a synthesised chemicals that have only been around for a few decades, which really is no time at allPosted from TSR Mobile
    As for the point on sweeteners, Having read the Harvard blog, it says that due to the concentration in sweetners it can cause addiction and damaging effects on taste receptors. However, it is then safe to say that Sweetners that which have a low concentration do not cause these effects. One thing that we can do, is impose the sugar tax also on products which use sweetners of an overly high concentration as well as products with overly high sugar levels. That would mean companies trying to get out of the tax can switch to either natural sweeteners like Stevia or low concentration artificial sweeteners like Saccharin

The issues are being sorted out on my end, and I can assure you that it will be clear that the mistake was on my part and as such I claim responsibility for it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    He was not an accountant but a self-trained bookkeeper, however, I agree with your point. The budget is not really a budget, but a spending review with wrong figures based on things that have not been done, the government is a bigger disaster than first thought because the MPs worship this publication thinking it will solve all economic woes.
    I was referring to him failing to do the very first things done in accounting, demonstrated by the way that the debt was entered.

I suppose earlier, I can't remember in which thread, we also got another example of them making up numbers as they go along with I believe it was Petros saying that the £100bn is split half and half between the infrastructure and the houses.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't self trained, I was working as a bookkeeper whilst studying towards an AAT. As for the Budget, it's a report based on what we've done in government, what we're doing, and what we're going to do and accounting for the cost over the year, I may have made a mistake regarding the deficit, but other than that it still does exactly what its supposed to do. I said before, there will also be an End of Term review, which will be based on what we've accomplished this term.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The issues are being sorted out on my end, and I can assure you that it will be clear that the mistake was on my part and as such I claim responsibility for it.
    So it's taking you as long to repudiate a few points as it took to write the whole budget? Seventh time, can I expect rebuttals or are you just going to run away again?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't self trained, I was working as a bookkeeper whilst studying towards an AAT. As for the Budget, it's a report based on what we've done in government, what we're doing, and what we're going to do and accounting for the cost over the year, I may have made a mistake regarding the deficit, but other than that it still does exactly what its supposed to do. I said before, there will also be an End of Term review, which will be based on what we've accomplished this term.
    That's a rather bold statement
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So it's taking you as long to repudiate a few points as it took to write the whole budget? Seventh time, can I expect rebuttals or are you just going to run away again?
    Where haven't I offered rebuttals? There's about a page and a half of just me rebutting people where I took a few days off
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That's a rather bold statement
    A massive proportion of the budget is based on what we're doing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Where haven't I offered rebuttals? There's about a page and a half of just me rebutting people where I took a few days off
    You mean half a page of "don't ask me", as as I said, unless even triple checking I missed it, there were no rebuttals offered for my post which had several things not otherwise covered.

A massive proportion of the budget is based on what we're doing.
    Which still makes it a case of a bold statement. Are you saying that you have a crystal ball that shows you the government lasting out the term and passing everything you want passing?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Will the MPs be given a chance to vote on these hypothetical spending plans?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You mean half a page of "don't ask me", as as I said, unless even triple checking I missed it, there were no rebuttals offered for my post which had several things not otherwise covered.
    I am in charge of financing policy and budgeting for departments, individual policy other than the policies that I have introduced myself are best left to their proposers to make the case for. You have questions about the taxes? Great, come to me. You have questions about spending? Great, ask me. You have questions about the NES? Then ask the proposer of the policy as he'll walk you through.it better than I can.

Which still makes it a case of a bold statement. Are you saying that you have a crystal ball that shows you the government lasting out the term and passing everything you want passing?
    No, which is why there will be an end of term review also. The budget is non binding, it can only be enacted through SoIs and a finance bill. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a debate. It outlines the approach that the Government is taking economically and any spending increases or reductions in certain departments also.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Will the MPs be given a chance to vote on these hypothetical spending plans?
    The budget is non binding, it can only be enacted through SoIs and a finance bill where MPs will be given the chance to vote. This is a report, not a piece of legislation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The budget is non binding, it can only be enacted through SoIs and a finance bill where MPs will be given the chance to vote. This is a report, not a piece of legislation.
    I would like the opportunity to officially express my disapproval at this attempt at a poorly costed budget.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would like the opportunity to officially express my disapproval at this attempt at a poorly costed budget.
    You have done so already on a multiple of occasions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.