Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR MHoC Budget Report 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    As a point of order, where did you get that idea from? This is not an SOI.
    I assumed it would work on the same principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I was contemplating taking Trident out, but I decided not to budge-it.
    Good one

I honestly don't think I can vote for the budget with the Trident clause still in there.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would like to begin by thanking the Chancellor of the Exchequer for his hard work and for producing a budget which does many good things. As I have previously stated though, since I am opposed to the reduction of Trident, welfare changes, inheritance tax changes, and the sugar tax, I will vote against the budget if a vote is called on the budget. Without these issues though, I think that the Chancellor has done extremely well and, though I have not told him before, I congratulate him for his hard work.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I welcome the funding for CAMS ( If that's right ? ) I have experienced the valuable help they offer young people ( I shall make other points in my reserved post )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Good one

I honestly don't think I can vote for the budget with the Trident clause still in there.
    It's clear though, the reduction of trident no one can do anything about as we voted against both full renewal and disarmament. It's either a reduction in trident or a replacement and a different system entirely.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I assumed it would work on the same principle.
    If there's some desperate pleas for a vote I'll consider it but it wouldn't work on the same principle from the strictest interpretation of the GD.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    If there's some desperate pleas for a vote I'll consider it but it wouldn't work on the same principle from the strictest interpretation of the GD.
    But then again it is a GD, if there's that much opposition to the budget I can hardly see why I vote couldn't be called.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    But then again it is a GD, if there's that much opposition to the budget I can hardly see why I vote couldn't be called.
    Indeed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A brilliant budget on which James Milibanter has worked extremely hard. I'm particularly glad to see the NES in there - a key Labour manifesto policy that will revolutionise the provision for adults to learn new skills and make career changes much easier: vital in a world where people are living ever longer and less monotonous lives.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    * Shouts "Hear, hear!", laughs at the opposition benches and slaps thighs *

A massive thanks to the Chancellor for putting this Budget together in such detail, and nearly a fortnight ahead of schedule as well.

We as a Government are pursuing a broadly social democratic agenda that works for everyone in Britain and this is testament to that.

Also, with regard to voting procedures and the difference between SoIs and departmental reviews, I will be sending opposition party leaders an amendment proposal on that topic to share around to their parties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's mentioned yet how we've brought the deficit down from £69bn to £36.5bn
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It is Rt, as per the title, and it's been 3 weeks.
    Just saw "since the days of Clement Attlee" and got so happy
    Attlee!
    Attlee!
    Lee!
    Lee!
    Lefty!
    Lefty!
    Key!
    Key!
    Trotsky!
    Trotsky!
    Trot....

That may have got out of hand...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    A brilliant budget on which James Milibanter has worked extremely hard. I'm particularly glad to see the NES in there - a key Labour manifesto policy that will revolutionise the provision for adults to learn new skills and make career changes much easier: vital in a world where people are living ever longer and less monotonous lives.
    I thank the Rt Hon member for his commendation but I must give credit where it's due. The NES was his policy, and he did the legwork on this one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Just saw "since the days of Clement Attlee" and got so happy
    Attlee!
    Attlee!
    Lee!
    Lee!
    Lefty!
    Lefty!
    Key!
    Key!
    Trotsky!
    Trotsky!
    Trot....

That may have got out of hand...
    I think I'm right in saying that this is the first lefty budget since 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as though it clearly took a lot of effort, I'm going to cage my screaming conscience right now, and I'll leave it at that for the time being. Good job.

ReputationRep:
    This is a great step forward, and I particularly welcome the section on removal of PFIs from the health sector.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm right in saying that this is the first lefty budget since 2010.
    Grand.
    Although one thing I really must point out is the fact you've technically left students in the **** by not mentioning their current predicament with loans and fees - I would've suggested reduced fees in the least, of course student grants/free university education is what we're eventually aiming for.
    I only say this because its one of the most important issues I concern myself with (#wenttoNovemberstudentprotestin London)

Shame that....

Wait...did you include that in the National Education scheme?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Grand.
    Although one thing I really must point out is the fact you've technically left students in the **** by not mentioning their current predicament with loans and fees - I would've suggested reduced fees in the least, of course student grants/free university education is what we're eventually aiming for.
    I only say this because its one of the most important issues I concern myself with (#wenttoNovemberstudentprotestin London)

Shame that....

The NES is more to do with adult learning, so we're creating more colleges. IF you would like to know more about the NES I'd suggest taking it up with cranbrook_aspie but with regards to education in general that would be junaidk7
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Grand.

Shame that....

The NES unfortunately only applies to people 25 and over (don't worry, there will be a bill fleshing it out a bit at a later date) but as Secretary of State for Business, Skills and Lifelong Learning I can confirm that I am considering a fee reduction bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I wasn't sure after the changes to how we were appointing to the Privy Council Indeed it has
    Has it actually been changed? The GD isn't.

I remember the term 'great officers of state' was thrown out in which case no-one in the current government is a privy councillor.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.