Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know I'm going to get a lot of stick for this and I hope you guys can sort of understand my circumstances - as I've never told anyone this stuff. Sort of a pride thing, didn't want people knowing my life wasn't that good. However, due to financial issues (I didn't get my student loan til 16th December) I physically and mentally became stressed and often was forced to return home (1 hour train away) in order to get a meal and have Internet as my accommodation shut off my internet and were threatening to remove me as I couldn't pay my rent. As a result of the constant returns home, baby sitting my 1 year old sister when my parents were working extra shifts to give me whatever funding they could - I missed a fair part of my university.
    Now I was unaware and somewhat naive that It would all catch up on me and didn't want people to know on my rather embarrassing home circumstances so kind of educated myself at home, using the blackboard mobile learn website on my iPad to catch up and what I missed as I literally could not afford to some days attend university. Also I handed in all my assignments in time.
    Despite living off £200 in the first semester, I finally got my student finance - the lateness was not my fault due to their constant mess ups - I FINALLY got my money, this brought me a new found sense independence, made me happy again and thus stopped the panic attacks I had been having since October. So comes the beginning of term 2, I feel so much more focused I can now afford to live in at university and I attend every lecture and seminar I have, then I receive the worst email I've ever seen. Due to my bad attendance I've been summoned to a attendance meeting with a pannel and all. This has made me a physical wreck, I've been crying none stop - I don't eat and I can't sleep for fear of being kicked out and letting everyone down.
    The hearing thing is next Wednesday and every day is just so sad and hard in the build up. Anyone who can help or just offer some friendly advice, I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you for reading this sorry it's so long had a lot to get off my chest.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you explain to them your situation and they can see you genuinely want to turn things round you should be fine! I wouldn't worry about this at all, they just want to know your side of the story.

ReputationRep:
    Did they give you warnings up until this point or have they suddenly just Spring the hearing on you out of nowhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Did they give you warnings up until this point or have they suddenly just Spring the hearing on you out of nowhere?
    I got one email warning, then according to them I received a further too however I don't recall getting them and don't know if they were sent via email or not - I've not had any prior warnings from tutors but apparently this is the last step hence why I am so scared. I am literally petrified.

(Original post by jdunn123)
    Hi, I know I'm going to get a lot of stick for this and I hope you guys can sort of understand my circumstances - as I've never told anyone this stuff. Sort of a pride thing, didn't want people knowing my life wasn't that good. However, due to financial issues (I didn't get my student loan til 16th December) I physically and mentally became stressed and often was forced to return home (1 hour train away) in order to get a meal and have Internet as my accommodation shut off my internet and were threatening to remove me as I couldn't pay my rent. As a result of the constant returns home, baby sitting my 1 year old sister when my parents were working extra shifts to give me whatever funding they could - I missed a fair part of my university.
    Now I was unaware and somewhat naive that It would all catch up on me and didn't want people to know on my rather embarrassing home circumstances so kind of educated myself at home, using the blackboard mobile learn website on my iPad to catch up and what I missed as I literally could not afford to some days attend university. Also I handed in all my assignments in time.
    Despite living off £200 in the first semester, I finally got my student finance - the lateness was not my fault due to their constant mess ups - I FINALLY got my money, this brought me a new found sense independence, made me happy again and thus stopped the panic attacks I had been having since October. So comes the beginning of term 2, I feel so much more focused I can now afford to live in at university and I attend every lecture and seminar I have, then I receive the worst email I've ever seen. Due to my bad attendance I've been summoned to a attendance meeting with a pannel and all. This has made me a physical wreck, I've been crying none stop - I don't eat and I can't sleep for fear of being kicked out and letting everyone down.
    The hearing thing is next Wednesday and every day is just so sad and hard in the build up. Anyone who can help or just offer some friendly advice, I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you for reading this sorry it's so long had a lot to get off my chest.
    You really have been working at home all this time? It must have been hard for you.

And the case with attendance.. I have something on my mind that I do not want to say, so I am going to stay positive. You just have to go and attend, make sure to prepare a good reason for all this absence, could be a bit exaggerated but you also could provide some evidence.

Don't let this drag you down, just carry on.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got one email warning, then according to them I received a further too however I don't recall getting them and don't know if they were sent via email or not - I've not had any prior warnings from tutors but apparently this is the last step hence why I am so scared. I am literally petrified.
    Well tbh maybe you should have let them know from the first warning what was going on, but you shouldn't stress about it. The reason they are having a hearing is to let you explain yourself so just prepare yourself and tell them the truth, you said you have handed in all your assignments, have you been receiving goo marks? Also, is this your first year at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    I can totally sympathise with you. I had exactly the same issues when I was at this other university 3 years ago.

I had the worst time ever. I didn't have a loan, I wasn't eating properly because of anxiety/depression, the fact that the student accommodation was a total dump and that I was already alienated from the rest of the block.

I missed whole days of seminars and lectures, I think the total came up to 36 at one point.

I was summoned to see the head of the Foundation Year department and had to explain my extenuating circumstances.

The head was very friendly and realised that what had happened to me over the first 3-4 months was very serious and debilitating.

My recommendation:

1) Be honest with yourself and them. Don't be afraid to let them know every single detail. The more you give, the more believable it is.

2) Start improving yourself. It seems you've already taken the first few steps though

3) Enjoy your course and appreciate the people who care and respect you. Don't give any room to idiots or back-stabbers.

I really hope it goes well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Well tbh maybe you should have let them know from the first warning what was going on, but you shouldn't stress about it. The reason they are having a hearing is to let you explain yourself so just prepare yourself and tell them the truth, you said you have handed in all your assignments, have you been receiving goo marks? Also, is this your first year at Uni?
    It's just so hard when i literally felt so unhappy every day - in the new semester I've started counselling sessions with the student counseller and they're really good. And yeh I've passed 4/5 the 5th one was a tough one I really struggled with

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to hear how hard your first term was. I'm sure that if you explain to them exactly what you've just written to all of us, they will be understanding and sympathetic, especially now that you are showing a good attendance record. The fact that you've completed all your assignments on time also reflects well on you. If it's possible, I'd take in any evidence you have of your finance being late and your accommodation threatening you with eviction.

I would also go and see someone at your uni who is in charge of your pastoral care/well being and explain all of this to them and ask if you can have someone accompany you to this meeting to provide support. Try not to worry, make your case clearly to them (with evidence if possible) and you should be just fine. Good luck and hope it goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
    I can totally sympathise with you. I had exactly the same issues when I was at this other university 3 years ago.

I had the worst time ever. I didn't have a loan, I wasn't eating properly because of anxiety/depression, the fact that the student accommodation was a total dump and that I was already alienated from the rest of the block.

I missed whole days of seminars and lectures, I think the total came up to 36 at one point.

I was summoned to see the head of the Foundation Year department and had to explain my extenuating circumstances.

The head was very friendly and realised that what had happened to me over the first 3-4 months was very serious and debilitating.

My recommendation:

1) Be honest with yourself and them. Don't be afraid to let them know every single detail. The more you give, the more believable it is.

2) Start improving yourself. It seems you've already taken the first few steps though

3) Enjoy your course and appreciate the people who care and respect you. Don't give any room to idiots or back-stabbers.

I really hope it goes well!
    Thanks a lot, means a lot some support. I've missed 25. I really want to succeed cus I know how many people would want my opportunity I just feel so bad that I've squandered it.

With the regards to the whole money situation, I was literally unable to afford food at one point, the accommodation I live in is a dump too. They banned my internet access and threatened to take me to court within a week. I was so scared and things are finally starting to look up. I would like to know where you went to deal with your struggles I've been wanting to go to somewhere just to talk with someone.

ReputationRep:
    It's just so hard when i literally felt so unhappy every day - in the new semester I've started counselling sessions with the student counseller and they're really good. And yeh I've passed 4/5 the 5th one was a tough one I really struggled with
    That's understandable, I'm not trying to make you look like the bad guy but I'm just trying to gauge exactly why they need to have a hearing rather than bringing you in for a meeting, tbh if you're doing well on the course there isn't really a good reason for them bringing you in, I very much doubt they will actually reprimand you imo the most they might do is ask you to repeat the year. While attendance is important at Uni, grades are more important. I don't have a lot of experience with this though, last year due to mental illness I missed most of my second semester but they didn't contact me once and I ended up going in to explain myself, my advisor told me that no one had reported me absent and I just repeated, it'll be different for every Uni though. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingski)
    Hey, sorry to hear how hard your first term was. I'm sure that if you explain to them exactly what you've just written to all of us, they will be understanding and sympathetic, especially now that you are showing a good attendance record. The fact that you've completed all your assignments on time also reflects well on you. If it's possible, I'd take in any evidence you have of your finance being late and your accommodation threatening you with eviction.

I would also go and see someone at your uni who is in charge of your pastoral care/well being and explain all of this to them and ask if you can have someone accompany you to this meeting to provide support. Try not to worry, make your case clearly to them (with evidence if possible) and you should be just fine. Good luck and hope it goes well.
    I am currently organising all my notes from the seminars I missed. Showing I've done all the reading annotated and done the work despite being in my circumstances. Thanks for the kind words.

ReputationRep:
    Let us know how it goes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.