Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I was wondering if anyone here might be able to answer this honestly? I'm really interested in applying for the Applied mathematics MSc at imperial college (applying next year not this year) but there is something I'm not sure about. I know it says the minimum requirement is a 2:1 but does that really mean they'd consider people with a 2:1? I.e. is it a case of this is the minimum requirement but if you're getting a 2:1 we expect to hear really amazing things about you to compensate for the fact it's not a first? I guess what I'd really want to know is has anyone ever gotten onto this course with a 2:1? Or is it very rare?

I'm having a problem understanding this about other places I'm interested in too such as KCL and UCL...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was told that they are only taking 9 places. even though the requirement is a 2i, you are competing with other students whose first choice is going to Cambridge to do the tripos there and they all have 1i. Your references will play an important role in the decision making as I was told. So, in theory, you can apply with a 2i and they will consider your application and if you combine this with amazing references you should get it in. The only things that they should clearly see are your potential and interest! I know someone who got in with a 2ii!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppliedMaths)
    I was told that they are only taking 9 places. even though the requirement is a 2i, you are competing with other students whose first choice is going to Cambridge to do the tripos there and they all have 1i. Your references will play an important role in the decision making as I was told. So, in theory, you can apply with a 2i and they will consider your application and if you combine this with amazing references you should get it in. The only things that they should clearly see are your potential and interest! I know someone who got in with a 2ii!
    Thank you so much! That is very helpful

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer of applied mathematics in imperial at mid January. The condition is I need to achieve first class. My current average is around 80. I declined it. I wish you good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.