Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying... Audiology

My study level is... University undergraduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monum)
    I'm studying... Audiology

My study level is... University undergraduate
    I'm looking into studying audiology. How's it going so far? Do you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also studying Audiology - first year at Southampton and loving it! Have just finished my first placement. What uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayeeel)
    I'm also studying Audiology - first year at Southampton and loving it! Have just finished my first placement. What uni are you at?
    I'm not at univeristy yet but ive applied to aston manchester and southampton. Can you describe the things that you do and whats the best/worst part of it/ thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeylooloo)
    I'm not at univeristy yet but ive applied to aston manchester and southampton. Can you describe the things that you do and whats the best/worst part of it/ thank you
    All the courses are the same in content (part of the government's Modernising Scientific Careers programme: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../dh_123911.pdf)

There is a lot of detail on the individual modules at Southampton here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/enginee...y.page#modules

But basically, this first year is a general introduction and covers general anatomy and physiology as well as theory and practice in audiology, clinical neurophysiology and vision science. There's also a general background in physics for the acoustics involved and a very interesting module on how perception of sensation is different from the signals themselves (psychophysics).

I enjoy the hands-on things best, so have really enjoyed the weekly practicals and being on 2 weeks placement earlier this month, where I got to observe and also to assist with various procedures and to interact with patients. My least favourite (at the time) was the anatomy and physiology in the first semester, but only because we were learning so much information in what seemed a very short time and I didn't always see the relevance of it; BUT as I am reading more background material, it is becoming very apparent that it was very important to know all the medical terms I learnt, and it is helping me to understand what I am reading better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayeeel)
    All the courses are the same in content (part of the government's Modernising Scientific Careers programme: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../dh_123911.pdf)

There is a lot of detail on the individual modules at Southampton here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/enginee...y.page#modules

But basically, this first year is a general introduction and covers general anatomy and physiology as well as theory and practice in audiology, clinical neurophysiology and vision science. There's also a general background in physics for the acoustics involved and a very interesting module on how perception of sensation is different from the signals themselves (psychophysics).

I enjoy the hands-on things best, so have really enjoyed the weekly practicals and being on 2 weeks placement earlier this month, where I got to observe and also to assist with various procedures and to interact with patients. My least favourite (at the time) was the anatomy and physiology in the first semester, but only because we were learning so much information in what seemed a very short time and I didn't always see the relevance of it; BUT as I am reading more background material, it is becoming very apparent that it was very important to know all the medical terms I learnt, and it is helping me to understand what I am reading better.
    Thank you! was it hard to find a placement

ReputationRep:
    Hi, how are you finding it at Southampton? I would really like to go to Southampton. Are they lenient with grades on results day and has anyone got in through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeylooloo)
    Thank you! was it hard to find a placement
    The uni arranges all the placements You get a list of possible places and you can express a preference for location, but really you have to be prepared to go anywhere on the list unless you have special circumstances. They are mostly commutable from Southampton, unless you want to be based somewhere else, e.g. London, for personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstudent01)
    Hi, how are you finding it at Southampton? I would really like to go to Southampton. Are they lenient with grades on results day and has anyone got in through clearing?
    I'm really enjoying Southampton and would recommend it. I'm a mature student and wasn't reliant on grades on results day, so I can't comment on that. (Not sure if anyone got thru on clearing or not.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.