Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you allow your 15 year old daughter to have sex in her room? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you allow your 15 year old daughter to have sex in her room?
    Yes
    24.31%
    No
    75.69%

ReputationRep:
    I really believe that having an authoritarian view about sex and not arming your children with the facts to protect themselves is bad parenting. Where there's a will there's a way and you cannot guarantee 100% that your teenager won't just go and do it outside of the house to avoid being caught so I wouldn't depend on the state to give sex education, which is **** anyway. The Netherlands doesn't have this puritan view about sex and they have a much lower teen birth rate than here.

Being able to talk about having sex doesn't mean that people will go out there and do it. And being conservative and threatening violence on your child because you suspect they are having sex will encourage secretive behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    It's not "fun" or "adventurous" to have sex at 15, as I said before, I believe sex is for adults. That doesn't make me boring telling your child not to have sex at 15 isn't bad parenting, I don't know what planet your living on. I can tell your young, when you get older maybe you will understand where I am coming from.
    No you're obviously just stuck up, sex isn't for adults, I know people who when at 15 were more grown up and mature and 'adult' than my at the time 28 year old sister.
    And FYI, I'm older than you, stupid. That's why I have this knowledge and have actually replied to the things you say instead of ignoring 90% and going on about one thing.
    Plus because I've been here longer than you, I've seen a LOT more of it than you, and that's how I know WHY it happens. You have no clue.
    So good day to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
    But just don't have sex, wait until you're 18 and you'd be mature enough not to have unprotected sex with people you barely know. Simple as that.
    Mate, I'm over 20, I KNOW, I had self respect for myself enough to wait until legal age, but knowing doesn't matter. No matter how many times you say not to, if your kid wants to have sex at 15, they WILL f*cking have sex at 15. Better telling them to be safe then to let them do it an get diseased or pregnant. I'm NOT saying having sex at 15 is OKAY. I'm stating I'd rather know they're knowledged in how to do it safely IF THEY DO IT ANYWAY. Which they more than likely will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmiiellen)
    No you're obviously just stuck up, sex isn't for adults, I know people who when at 15 were more grown up and mature and 'adult' than my at the time 28 year old sister.
    And FYI, I'm older than you, stupid. That's why I have this knowledge and have actually replied to the things you say instead of ignoring 90% and going on about one thing.
    Plus because I've been here longer than you, I've seen a LOT more of it than you, and that's how I know WHY it happens. You have no clue.
    So good day to you.
    I'm not stuck up.

I actually can't believe your 10 years older than me You really don't sound it, if I'm honest.

No, just because you have been here longer than me doesn't mean you have seen "a lot more than me". I'm 18, I'm not a child. I understand sex, I am around girls who have been pregnant, and are pregnant at the moment, I understand teenage pregnancy, I do believe sex is for adults. That doesn't make me stuck up, it means I have an opinion. That also doesn't make me boring.

I didn't say I believe in good married christian sex, but I do believe 15 is far too young. I really don't believe you need to be "taught" the dangers of sex, sex is EVERYWHERE right now, my parents have never uttered the word sex to me, and I'm not pregnant -_-

I did grow up in quite a traditional strict household, but as I have said repeatedly, it didn't do me harm...and it doesn't do many people harm, it's a good thing, whether you believe it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I really believe that having an authoritarian view about sex and not arming your children with the facts to protect themselves is bad parenting. Where there's a will there's a way and you cannot guarantee 100% that your teenager won't just go and do it outside of the house to avoid being caught so I wouldn't depend on the state to give sex education, which is **** anyway. The Netherlands doesn't have this puritan view about sex and they have a much lower teen birth rate than here.

Being able to talk about having sex doesn't mean that people will go out there and do it. And being conservative and threatening violence on your child because you suspect they are having sex will encourage secretive behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AMEN. Thank you, hopefully someone will get the point I've made a few times!! :')

ReputationRep:
    I'm not stuck up.

I actually can't believe your 10 years older than me You really don't sound it, if I'm honest.

No, just because you have been here longer than me doesn't mean you have seen "a lot more than me". I'm 18, I'm not a child. I understand sex, I am around girls who have been pregnant, and are pregnant at the moment, I understand teenage pregnancy, I do believe sex is for adults. That doesn't make me stuck up, it means I have an opinion. That also doesn't make me boring.

I didn't say I believe in good married christian sex, but I do believe 15 is far too young. I really don't believe you need to be "taught" the dangers of sex, sex is EVERYWHERE right now, my parents have never uttered the word sex to me, and I'm not pregnant -_-

I did grow up in quite a traditional strict household, but as I have said repeatedly, it didn't do me harm...and it doesn't do many people harm, it's a good thing, whether you believe it or not.
    The reason I don't sound it is because I'm not :'D hahahaha thanks!!

Look, at the end of the day, if someone's gonna have sex, they will, regardless of their age, that doesn't make it right, no, but it makes you not talking to your kids about safe sex, being a bad parent. Your kid goes an gets pregnant after you telling them not to have sex, what will you tell them then? "Don't be pregnant"? "Get a (disgusting) abortion"?
    Either of those are nowhere near as simple as telling them before hand, "be safe" "if you're gonna do it anyway, use protection" it shows more that you care about what they're doing and how they're doing it, and you know the lad is the same age an not some dirty pedo or whatever..

ReputationRep:
    You said it well. Who have we become?!!!
    We want to call our daughters and say "hey honey here's a condom for tonight, enjoy his ****".
    I would rather die than live in that world. I mean are you guys even serious?!!!!!! You'd let your daughter ask for condoms from you?!
    Apart from all the societal and political issues and concerns we are human beings with morals. It's never been right to involve your parents with your sex life even if with your husband or wife, i mean when your chilren are married. I'd like to keep it that way.
    It's true, it makes me feel disgusting.

I don't know, maybe it's how Ive grown up, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable giving my 15 year old daughter condoms or putting her on the pill.

Also yes, parents shouldn't be involved in your sex life. The thought of my mum knowing I was having sex, or giving me contraception advice makes me feel.....violated.

Sex is a personal thing.

Also, I am a liberal person, even though I don't sound it right now. I am relaxed on many things, but 15 year olds and sex? absolutely not.

Then again I have my own personal views on sex, that may differ from others, so I don't know, maybe my liberal attitude to most things doesn't reach that far when discussing sex.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Christ there's a lot of prudes on here. The no and that's final authoritarian parenting was made for kids to ignore and go ahead anyway. I'd rather teach her about how to be safe, and for her to do it when she's comfortable rather than stick to any arbitrary age restrictions. So long as she's comfortable with it and the guy or girl isnt some sleezball far older and trying to take advantage, then have fun and play safe.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I don't sound it is because I'm not :'D hahahaha thanks!!

Look, at the end of the day, if someone's gonna have sex, they will, regardless of their age, that doesn't make it right, no, but it makes you not talking to your kids about safe sex, being a bad parent. Your kid goes an gets pregnant after you telling them not to have sex, what will you tell them then? "Don't be pregnant"? "Get a (disgusting) abortion"?
    Either of those are nowhere near as simple as telling them before hand, "be safe" "if you're gonna do it anyway, use protection" it shows more that you care about what they're doing and how they're doing it, and you know the lad is the same age an not some dirty pedo or whatever..
    How old are you? 15? 12?

lol (disgusting) abortion??? ...okay I'm not going to speak with you on this issue anymore. Your views are beyond ridiculous.

You won't change my view anyway...I'm never going to give my 15 year old one of her fathers condoms to go have sex with her boyfriend. Do you not realise how crazy that even sounds? What planet am I on right now, seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Christ there's a lot of prudes on here. The no and that's final authoritarian parenting was made for kids to ignore and go ahead anyway. I'd rather teach her about how to be safe, and for her to do it when she's comfortable rather than stick to any arbitrary age restrictions. So long as she's comfortable with it and the guy or girl isnt some sleezball far older and trying to take advantage, then have fun and play safe.
    I don't think you can call us "prudes" tbh, I don't think that is fair.

ReputationRep:
    You said it well. Who have we become?!!!
    We want to call our daughters and say "hey honey here's a condom for tonight, enjoy his ****".
    I would rather die than live in that world. I mean are you guys even serious?!!!!!! You'd let your daughter ask for condoms from you?!
    Apart from all the societal and political issues and concerns we are human beings with morals. It's never been right to involve your parents with your sex life even if with your husband or wife, i mean when your chilren are married. I'd like to keep it that way.
    I'd rather my kid ask for condoms, not if I will mind ___ while they go out drinking, if that were the options you'd choose the same f*cking thing...

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? 15? 12?

lol (disgusting) abortion??? ...okay I'm not going to speak with you on this issue anymore. Your views are beyond ridiculous.

You won't change my view anyway...I'm never going to give my 15 year old one of her fathers condoms to go have sex with her boyfriend. Do you not realise how crazy that even sounds? What planet am I on right now, seriously?
    I am over 18 that's all you need to know.

How are my views ridiculous? Abortion is disgusting, the only people who should be allowed one are rape victims. Anyone else needs to deal with their own mistakes, ones they could have avoided if their parents just said "use protection" ffs, you're not on the same planet if you think it's me with the ridiculous views :'D

"I'd rather tell my child to not have sex, than to consider the major possibility of them not giving a crap about what I said, doing it anyway, and getting pregnant" that's you, that is how stupid you are, you'd probably drive them to an abortion clinic too wouldn't you? Or nah, you'd be too ashamed so you would have it done back streets am I right or what (rhetorical)
    You are a silly human.. Seriously silly.

ReputationRep:
    I am over 18 that's all you need to know.

How are my views ridiculous? Abortion is disgusting, the only people who should be allowed one are rape victims. Anyone else needs to deal with their own mistakes, ones they could have avoided if their parents just said "use protection" ffs, you're not on the same planet if you think it's me with the ridiculous views :'D

"I'd rather tell my child to not have sex, than to consider the major possibility of them not giving a crap about what I said, doing it anyway, and getting pregnant" that's you, that is how stupid you are, you'd probably drive them to an abortion clinic too wouldn't you? Or nah, you'd be too ashamed so you would have it done back streets am I right or what (rhetorical)

I'm not going to debate abortion with you, it's a whole other topic (and I completely disagree with your stance).

You're over 18? oh dear...

I won't be driving my children to any abortion clinic because you can bet they won't be having sex and getting pregnant at 15, they will be studying, enjoying their youth...they will be children, like I was. You don't need to be having sex at 15. I didn't feel the need, at 15 (which wasn't that long ago thinking about it...) me and my friends were discovering the new found freedoms of being allowed to stay out later than usual, or having sleepovers, but I liked it that way, it's the innocence of childhood (slowly transitioning into adulthood), it should stay that way for as long as possible in my opinion. Why do you need to rush and lose your virginity at 15?

Anyway my children won't and I can promise you that, it's not because I will lock them in a cage and throw away every piece of freedom, but because I will care for them and I care about their future.

ReputationRep:
    And this is why most girls are pregnant before 16. Parents are too harsh so they have to sneak around having sex willy nilly, not using protection an havings kids. Kids shouldnt be having kids, instead of discouraging sex, encourage safe sex, or you'll be a grandparent at 30. Smh.
    That's a very grandiose claim. Parents letting their children have sex in their room does not guarantee that they will use protection and behave in a way that doesn't result in them becoming pregnant/impregnating etc.

Op, i really dont know how to approach this. The topic of sex has always been a bit of a taboo at home and me and my parents have never discussed it. Rather than just letting them have sex i think its important to build up a level of communication with the child to educate them and stress to them that one must be emotionally ready to become that intimate with some one else. It's an important age for things like education and gcse's- i wouldnt want my child to be distracted

ReputationRep:
    Get off your high horse and let others have their opinions.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't tbh, I see the reasoning why some might; but even if I had a child that was mature enough, I wouldn't assume the same of t their partner

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is the wife's problem not mine

And I will not groom my 15 year old future daughter/son to think about sex. At least I hope I don't.

ReputationRep:
    All I'd like to say is that this thread is on heaat.
    Keep it up guys

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to debate abortion with you, it's a whole other topic (and I completely disagree with your stance).

You're over 18? oh dear...

I won't be driving my children to any abortion clinic because you can bet they won't be having sex and getting pregnant at 15, they will be studying, enjoying their youth...they will be children, like I was. You don't need to be having sex at 15. I didn't feel the need, at 15 (which wasn't that long ago thinking about it...) me and my friends were discovering the new found freedoms of being allowed to stay out later than usual, or having sleepovers, but I liked it that way, it's the innocence of childhood (slowly transitioning into adulthood), it should stay that way for as long as possible in my opinion. Why do you need to rush and lose your virginity at 15?

Anyway my children won't and I can promise you that, it's not because I will lock them in a cage and throw away every piece of freedom, but because I will care for them and I care about their future.
    I wanna rep you but it says I have already done on previous post. I'm glad there are people who still think like me. Heaven bless your strict parents...Bless you, Bless you, Bless you and guard your kids from the mad influences of these lots.

ReputationRep:

She is a silly human because she believes it's wrong to have sex at 15?
    I think you might be the silly one here.:rolleyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.