Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who is taking the edexcel unit 5B biology exam on tuesday ? how prepared are you all?

ReputationRep:
    im taking it and im not prepared :-( i'm about to go away and cry....lol

ReputationRep:
    I get the genetics and evolution. I am stuggling to get photosynthesis though.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have done like an hour revision all together. I know - very stupid. I hope there's at least someone out there who's as stressing as I am. I aiming for a D to average to a B. :s Even that looks impossible now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med115)
    Who is taking the edexcel unit 5B biology exam on tuesday ? how prepared are you all?
    Yep..i gotta take it ...i've got units 4+5 ok i think...but the half synoptic element of paper 5 is scaring the hell out of me..i'm frantically trying to recall stuff from last year..and not having any recent past papers to look at isn't helping!!!!:eek:

Anyone know of any sites with past papers on???pref w/ markschemes too..but i'm not too fussed

G

ReputationRep:
    I've got 4 & 5B on Tuesday and I havn't done any revision yet. Stupid, but I got English Lit. on the same day and I've spent all my time re-reading books and poems and urrr.. partying all weekend so I'm not confident at all.

Is there a synoptic element on 5B, I thought that was in 6 on Friday? My last exam is Biology 6............. WoooooooooooHooooooooooooo!!!!!! !! The Dam here we come!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    im not afraid of unit 5 nor unit 4
    im just afraid of the synoptic section at unit 5

ReputationRep:
    i have hay fever so that says alot to which i can really achieve by revision. i thought the rain would help but now look at the friggin weather.

ReputationRep:
    im doing units 4 and 5 tomorrow...and i am so NOT prepared. gene tech is interesting but so hard! and all that biodiverstiy, succesion is so boring its a bit like unit 3 which i havnt looked for a year!!! its not fair that they have synoptic section in 5B as well a whole synoptic unit 6 paper!!

..and my teacher expects me to get A......i havent finished revising unit 5 yet!!and got to go over unit 4 option.....

ReputationRep:
    look u guys, all i can do is wish u all the best of luck. so, good luck. i really hope they give us a nice paper tomorrow if there is such a thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)
    im doing units 4 and 5 tomorrow...and i am so NOT prepared. gene tech is interesting but so hard! and all that biodiverstiy, succesion is so boring its a bit like unit 3 which i havnt looked for a year!!! its not fair that they have synoptic section in 5B as well a whole synoptic unit 6 paper!!

..and my teacher expects me to get A......i havent finished revising unit 5 yet!!and got to go over unit 4 option.....
    Im in EXACTLY the same situation, i cant believe i left studyin all this till last minute gud luck to any1 doin bio tmrw!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)

Don't worry....you can do it...biotech is horrible...but its just a matter of learning all the bacteria and fungi used....good luck everyone....and remember...Saccharomyces carlsbergensis is lager...S. cerevisiae is ale!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    I think theres quite a lot of us crapping ourselves right now! I know I am!! I think its so unfair that we have this extra synoptic part as well......whats the actual point to the Synoptic paper then? And why does Biology have this synoptic part in unit 5 but chemistry doesn't??? Edexcel I hate you!!!

ReputationRep:
    www.s-cool.co.uk

This site has some good info on things like the kindney, respiration and Photsynthesis and it has questions at the end

ReputationRep:
    dont think you need to know many of the names of bacteria associated with gene tech - obv you need to know enzymes, like restriction endonucleases and reverse transcriptase, but apparently apart from that u only need to know Agrobacterium tumefaciens. According 2 syllabus.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphira)
    dont think you need to know many of the names of bacteria associated with gene tech - obv you need to know enzymes, like restriction endonucleases and reverse transcriptase, but apparently apart from that u only need to know Agrobacterium tumefaciens. According 2 syllabus.....
    You sure..cos i've seen a past paper question asking what are the two bacteria types used in milk production...ie name them.

G

ReputationRep:
    wots really annoying we're killing ourselves revising all this and it wont even probably come up!!!!i hope not anyway ! i woundnt mind photosythesis or growth hormones coming up...but everything else..it better not!!!

in gene tech i guess its jus learning the prcedures...like the PCR that i find hard..the rest r all quite similar though...

i just cant wait 4 tomorow to be over...of course then i got to *** strait home and revise s2

r u all revisin unit 1,2,3 as well or r just going to revise 4 and 5? unit 1 i dnt thik theres much to revise just protein syntheis (if u.ve forgotton it) .unit 2 theres quite a bit. unit 3 is all foriegn to me now!!

wish u all luck...hopefully ur all revising now and not postin on ukl like me

ReputationRep:
    For unit 5 there isnt really much to learn other than photosynthesis. The conservation/ succesion and classification is all blaggable/ genetics is easy enough and genetic engineering requires only limited learning.

I can remember most on unit 1 and 2 except for the sexual reproduction (spermatogenesis and reproduction in plants) although it is unlikely that any of this will come up.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.