Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NHS Health Care Assistant interview advice please? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone had ever had an interview for a HCA role before. This one is within a mental health hospital.

On the site it says there will be a written test and a group discussion, but doesn't give any more details than that? Any thing group literally terrifies me as I am hugely anxious and a little awkward in social situations. I have dropped out of schools and colleges due to fear and there have been many job interviews I just couldn't go to - or felt I couldn't at least - as I'd got myself in such a state. But there have been jobs I have managed to hold down for at least a year. I've recently left my retail job which I did for over a year to find something more suited to my interests.

I've also got an NVQ 3 in Health and Social Care and 1 A Level in Psychology, and 6 GCSE passes.

I worked as a carer visiting people in their own homes for about a year and I've briefly worked in a nursery.

I have done placements in a residential care home, a doctors surgery and shadowing a hospital mental health team.

But in interview situations I really struggle to show off the best version of me because I totally clam up and just sit and shake. Was wondering if anyone had gone for a similar interview and what it was like? I think the fact it is NHS and also a job I really want makes it even scarier.

ReputationRep:
    Update: It went well and I got the job! I have just started! It took nearly 4 months to actually start work after being offered the job though (apparently that's common for the NHS).

If anyone is in the same boat and wants to know what they can possibly expect , I made a post here about my experience:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post62374073

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    Update: It went well and I got the job! I have just started! It took nearly 4 months to actually start work after being offered the job though (apparently that's common for the NHS).

If anyone is in the same boat and wants to know what they can possibly expect , I made a post here about my experience:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats, its pretty standard having that much time before you can start as you have to wait to get training, some people i did my training for had been waiting for months, though i was quite lucky and it wasn't so long, good luck with starting the job and everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great news, congratulations! Yeah I was once interviewed in January and didn't start until August for one NHS job! I'll check your link out. I struggle with interviews too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets shaky x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephannalee)
    Congrats, its pretty standard having that much time before you can start as you have to wait to get training, some people i did my training for had been waiting for months, though i was quite lucky and it wasn't so long, good luck with starting the job and everything
    Thanks! Yeah it was mainly occupational health, references and CRB that took ages. I haven't really been given any training at all yet I've just been sort of shadowing the other staff? It's all a bit confusing at this stage!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Me)
    That's great news, congratulations! Yeah I was once interviewed in January and didn't start until August for one NHS job! I'll check your link out. I struggle with interviews too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets shaky x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!!! that's a crazy long wait! Oh god don't worry I get SO shaky! It's awful! I just keep telling myself 'this will pass, this will pass, and that if I really have to I can run out the door. Yes they'll think I'm a right weirdo and I'll ruin my chance of getting the job but I don't care, I'll be free!' Haha x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.