Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do i gain more ucas points? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I finished studying 2 years at sixth form in august 2015. I took a year out because I didn't know what I wanted to study at university. I currently work part time but looking into doing something to help boost up my ucas points. i have 220 and i need 280 to get onto my chosen course at all the unis I have looked at. can anyone help? Thanks, Hollie

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it works like that? I thought UCAS points had to come from the same time period

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h0llie17)
    Hey, I finished studying 2 years at sixth form in august 2015. I took a year out because I didn't know what I wanted to study at university. I currently work part time but looking into doing something to help boost up my ucas points. i have 220 and i need 280 to get onto my chosen course at all the unis I have looked at. can anyone help? Thanks, Hollie
    Do an AS and get an A grade or do a full Alevel and get a D grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Are you sure it works like that? I thought UCAS points had to come from the same time period
    No not necessarily. Depends on the uni but i think it's mostly the top RGs unis that want A levels completed in 2 years only.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    As above, you need to contact the universities and see if they have a cap on how many qualifications they will allow you to put towards the total and if they need to come from one sitting (they do not always have to - universities will have the own policies). If not, then just take another A level as a private candidate in whatever subject you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No not necessarily. Depends on the uni but i think it's mostly the top RGs unis that want A levels completed in 2 years only.
    I get you, I wasn't too sure myself.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up leaving sixth form with 2 A Levels and one BTEC. Does anyone know another way i could get more points without going back to college? I'm 19 and most colleges in my area wont let me in to study an A Level

ReputationRep:
    I should also add that you should check with the unis you're applying for because some of them only accept full A levels and not AS levels

ReputationRep:
    I should also add that you should check with the unis you're applying for because some of them only accept full A levels and not AS levels
    yeah i noticed that when i applied for uni last year. i applied but never got in because i didnt have enough points so thats why im looking at gaining more so i get accepted.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up leaving sixth form with 2 A Levels and one BTEC. Does anyone know another way i could get more points without going back to college? I'm 19 and most colleges in my area wont let me in to study an A Level
    You could call schools in your area and ask if they accept private candidates. Pay for the exams (About £30 each) buy books online and study independently. This would be the most straightforward way to go about it, but if you don't want to do that, check out: https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/arti...as-points.html

ReputationRep:
    You could call schools in your area and ask if they accept private candidates. Pay for the exams (About £30 each) buy books online and study independently. This would be the most straightforward way to go about it, but if you don't want to do that, check out: https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/arti...as-points.html
    I've emailed some colleges this morning just waiting on a response. I'll look into doing a course privately like you said and get some books, thanks so much I really appreciate it
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    University admissions aren't a case of "acquire enough tariff points and you automatically get a place".

Contact the university you're interested in, explain your background and qualifications and ask what THEY recommend you do to get an offer. They might suggest OU modules or something completely different or they might ask you to resit one of your previous qualifications to up your grades or they might suggest you take an additional qualification.

THEY are the experts on what you need to do to get admitted - so ask them. Especially before you commit any money or time to a qualification that might be no help at all.

ReputationRep:
    Apply through clearing in June/July. You're likely to get onto your chosen course if there are spaces available or you could redo your BTEC at a different college and aim for higher grades or you can do an access course for a year to make up ucas points and apply to uni for the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    Apply through clearing in June/July. You're likely to get onto your chosen course if there are spaces available or you could redo your BTEC at a different college and aim for higher grades or you can do an access course for a year to make up ucas points and apply to uni for the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Access courses don't attract tariff points (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../tariff-tables )

This is why it is important to speak to universities about what they're actually looking for from applicants and not just trying to rack up tariff points in irrelevant or unhelpful qualifications.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i got the highest grade possible for the BTEC, i have heard about access but not quite sure what it is. im looking to do something to gain points for a year so i will end up applying for uni next september (2017) to give me a chance to complete a full 1 year qualification

ReputationRep:
    An access course is for a year. It is like a BTEC but in one year. The assignments are shorter and less than what you get in a BTEC but if you got the highest grade possible in the BTEC then there is no reason for you not to be accepted into your chosen course at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An access course is for a year. It is like a BTEC but in one year. The assignments are shorter and less than what you get in a BTEC but if you got the highest grade possible in the BTEC then there is no reason for you not to be accepted into your chosen course at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't you have to pay? Especially since she already has level 3 qualifications

ReputationRep:
    Yes unless you are under 24 and claiming benefits or on a low household income. 24+ have to pay or get a loan through student finance no matter what their household income is unless it's their first level 3 qualification then it's free. 16-18 is free

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I need help, basically i'm retaking my AS subjects and I just want to know what grades I needa to get 280 ucas points in both AS and A2?
    Say for AS I got ACD what do I need to get for A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb_1997)
    I need help, basically i'm retaking my AS subjects and I just want to know what grades I needa to get 280 ucas points in both AS and A2?
    Say for AS I got ACD what do I need to get for A2?
    Your final A Level Grades need to be BCC / ABD / ACC, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.