Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you Rather Study STEM at a top 30 non-RG or Non-STEM at RG Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Simple question really.

ReputationRep:
    If someone isn't intending to study a STEM subject altogether, I doubt the university choice will matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my talents are in STEM so that.

ReputationRep:
    of course STEM, RG isn't that important

ReputationRep:
    STEM duh, (if that's what you want to do). Bath is equally good as e.g. Bristol or Manchester, and possibly better than e.g. Cardiff or Liverpool (although there's obviously not much of a difference. The real question is non-STEM at a top 30, vs STEM at e.g. Keele.

ReputationRep:
    Should not this be debated outside maths?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not keen on UK unis but Bath is non-RG and it's got a great STEM department.

ReputationRep:
    RG is overrated lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    STEM at a top 30 non-RG

ReputationRep:
    i'd rather study STEM at a top-30 non-RG

ReputationRep:
    I have no interest in STEM so I'd choose non-STEM obviously

ReputationRep:
    Non-STEM is worse than STEM, and in STEM it really doesn't matter which uni you go to as things like science, maths and engineering are universal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Non-STEM is worse than STEM, and in STEM it really doesn't matter which uni you go to as things like science, maths and engineering are universal.
    i doubt maths and london met which requires D grades is the same as maths at cambridge which requires S grades in STEP. math degrees are not standardized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    i doubt maths and london met which requires D grades is the same as maths at cambridge which requires S grades in STEP. math degrees are not standardized.
    Yeah but if you are smart enough for STEM, then you aren't exactly going to be studying at L. Met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Yeah but if you are smart enough for STEM, then you aren't exactly going to be studying at L. Met.
    it's an extreme example but i think it illustrates the point; not all STEM degrees have accreditation bodies that standardize the curriculum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.