Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why don't Conservatives defect? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Cameron supports EU and mass immigration that is clear.
    Labour will be in turmoil with Corbyn.It is the perfect time to defect and destroy that party.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they? Being Tory isn't defined by euroscepticism. And such a naked ploy to 'destroy' Labour would be seen a mile off.

I find it funny when people talk about 'destroying' a party, in some kind of expectation that when it's 'destroyed', nothing will rise in its place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative and I support the EU and a fairly decent level of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    I think Peter Hitchens has the right of it: the only reason the conservative and labour parties manage to function is because of the other. If labour splits the Tories will win- same vice versa.

I doubt and of the Tories will do a mark reckless any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I think Peter Hitchens has the right of it: the only reason the conservative and labour parties manage to function is because of the other. If labour splits the Tories will win- same vice versa.

I doubt and of the Tories will do a mark reckless any time soon.
    This. Being in power is more important than getting what you want...

ReputationRep:
    Labour are imploding under the ridiculous Corbyn. the Tories just need to let them get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    If UKIP was more professional and organised, then there could have been a number of defections. However the experience with Mark Reckless (rapidly voted out of his seat) and Douglas Carswell (now isolated and at war in his party) will have warned them off.

However, if Cameron recommends the UK stays in the EU this will be a red line for many Eurosceptic Conservative MPs, they just will not be able to stay quiet. Rather than defect, they will sit tight in the Conservative party and try to find a figurehead around which they can unite and strike at the right time. Liam Fox may be an example.

Also a lot can change in politics in a few years. Corbyn has a strong mandate now from the Labour membership so I reckon he can get away with bad local election results in 2016, if it happens again in 2017 there will be a lot of unrest and in 2018 either Corbyn will have won over the electorate or will be ousted and most likely a leader without baggage like Keir Starmer or Dan Jarvis will be elected. Given the uneasy state of the world economy at the moment, there may have been at least a significant slow down if not a full on recession by then and we could have a situation where from 2018-20 the Conservatives are fighting a civil war in their own party, trying to deal with a rising deficit and rising unemployment which undoes their reputation for being the party you can trust on the economy, and facing a leader who is far more difficult to deal with than Corbyn or Ed Miliband.

Back in 1992 after the Conservatives won an unexpected election against the backdrop of a recession, there was a lot of despair in the Labour party, that Labour would never win again if it couldn't win in 92 when the circumstances seemed so right. When they got badly beaten by the Tories again that summer it seemed like the Tories were going to bed in for the rest of the decade. Nobody would have predicted then that they'd be smashed out of sight in 1997 by Blair.

ReputationRep:
    Because the Tory party isn't Tory enough?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWO)
    Cameron supports EU and mass immigration that is clear.
    Labour will be in turmoil with Corbyn.It is the perfect time to defect and destroy that party.
    As a general rule it's because the Tories value the economy above all else, those who care about immigration above all else are lower in number and have left already.

Also i'm a Tory and while i'm open to EU exit, i'm largely happy with high immigration numbers. I have no time for this waffle about there being too many people ect.. and i do indeed value the economy above other things.

(Original post by mojojojo101)
    This. Being in power is more important than getting what you want...
    Indeed. Better to get half of what you want under an impure leader who can win than get nothing under a zealot like Corbyn.

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    If UKIP was more professional and organised, then there could have been a number of defections. However the experience with Mark Reckless (rapidly voted out of his seat) and Douglas Carswell (now isolated and at war in his party) will have warned them off.

However, if Cameron recommends the UK stays in the EU this will be a red line for many Eurosceptic Conservative MPs, they just will not be able to stay quiet. Rather than defect, they will sit tight in the Conservative party and try to find a figurehead around which they can unite and strike at the right time. Liam Fox may be an example.

Also a lot can change in politics in a few years. Corbyn has a strong mandate now from the Labour membership so I reckon he can get away with bad local election results in 2016, if it happens again in 2017 there will be a lot of unrest and in 2018 either Corbyn will have won over the electorate or will be ousted and most likely a leader without baggage like Keir Starmer or Dan Jarvis will be elected. Given the uneasy state of the world economy at the moment, there may have been at least a significant slow down if not a full on recession by then and we could have a situation where from 2018-20 the Conservatives are fighting a civil war in their own party, trying to deal with a rising deficit and rising unemployment which undoes their reputation for being the party you can trust on the economy, and facing a leader who is far more difficult to deal with than Corbyn or Ed Miliband.

Back in 1992 after the Conservatives won an unexpected election against the backdrop of a recession, there was a lot of despair in the Labour party, that Labour would never win again if it couldn't win in 92 when the circumstances seemed so right. When they got badly beaten by the Tories again that summer it seemed like the Tories were going to bed in for the rest of the decade. Nobody would have predicted then that they'd be smashed out of sight in 1997 by Blair.
    I personally suspect the economic slowdown threat is overdone and so consider the threat of an external threat to the Tories as being only a little higher than normal (there's always a small threat of a shock global event) however i do agree with you regarding Europe. If the Tories lose, it will be because they defeated themselves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.