Is Government & Politics a tough A-Level and well regarded by top unis? Watch

clement345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Looking to take Gov and Politics as a fast track course for 1 year, becasue I am alreayd doing A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry and History and looking to do Economics and Politics at uni. I was wondering if it were a good A-Level to take and if it was possible to do in 1 year. I would like to do it as I enjoy it an think i can do well in it.
MouseyBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it's a good course, and it fits in nicely with history, depending on what modules you're doing. I've done it as a distance learner,mand I reckon it's definitely possible in a year. You could get through a unit in four to six weeks if you wanted.
clement345
Rep:
?
(Original post by MouseyBrown)
I think it's a good course, and it fits in nicely with history, depending on what modules you're doing. I've done it as a distance learner,mand I reckon it's definitely possible in a year. You could get through a unit in four to six weeks if you wanted.
Yeh I agree, I also think it is something that I wouldn't find tough to learn as I enjoy Politics in general (Weird I know). I was looking to do Politics and Economics at degree level, especially at unis like LSE, Oxford(PPE), UCL and Bristol because I like the balance between Politics/History and Maths for the economics. Do you think that it is a good idea to take Government & Politics along with Economics
think about these degree options (I want to go into something like diplomacy)
MouseyBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by clement345)
Yeh I agree, I also think it is something that I wouldn't find tough to learn as I enjoy Politics in general (Weird I know). I was looking to do Politics and Economics at degree level, especially at unis like LSE, Oxford(PPE), UCL and Bristol because I like the balance between Politics/History and Maths for the economics. Do you think that it is a good idea to take Government & Politics along with Economics
think about these degree options (I want to go into something like diplomacy)
I think firstly that you would need to show an interest in whatever subject you are applying to but have not done at A level. For instance, not everybody doing PPE did philosophy at A level, but no doubt they would have read around it etc. But that's one of the reason why I think politics A level is good - if you choose the right units at A2, then you doing ideologies, which gets kind into political philosophy. You can make the two overlap a bit, if you pick the right books to read.

Maybe it would be a bit stranger not to have Econ, but I'm not even sure on that. For my History course, I've done Soviet and US Cold War history, and post-war UK. There is a lot of economic focus in that, and maybe if you happened to be doing something similar, you could say that everything else you have done has been economics focused, and that's what interested you etc.

On the economic theory, though, I'm really not sure. I don't know how much prior knowledge you are expected to have.

I think the point is that there are not necessarily any set rules on what you should study, the most important thing is that you can show an interest in what you apply for. Having said that, LSE, for example, are fussy with stuff like that, and it goes without saying that people who have already studied the subjects they are applying for will find it easier to convince admissions advisers of their interest in them.

Ultimately, though, speak with admissions advisers.
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From my experience it's very well-regarded. I applied to LSE for BSc Government and got an offer having studied A-Level Government and Politics. It forms part of LSE's list of preferred subjects so they have a good view of it. I also applied for History and Politics at Oxford and they say it's a useful A-Level for that course. I got an offer for that also. I would say that it's a good A-Level from my experience
clement345
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaxReid)
From my experience it's very well-regarded. I applied to LSE for BSc Government and got an offer having studied A-Level Government and Politics. It forms part of LSE's list of preferred subjects so they have a good view of it. I also applied for History and Politics at Oxford and they say it's a useful A-Level for that course. I got an offer for that also. I would say that it's a good A-Level from my experience
Congrats on your offers!!!

Would you say it is an A-Level that is possible in one year. I am going to ask the Gov & Politics tutor at our college, but my personal tutor reckons it will be? What would you say having done it?

Also, would you say I would be suitable for Economics and Politics, having not studies Economics? I do take maths, which they require but I love the idea of combining them. Looking to do that at LSE, Oxford(PPE), UCL, Bristol and Southampton.
clement345
Rep:
?
(Original post by MouseyBrown)
I think firstly that you would need to show an interest in whatever subject you are applying to but have not done at A level. For instance, not everybody doing PPE did philosophy at A level, but no doubt they would have read around it etc. But that's one of the reason why I think politics A level is good - if you choose the right units at A2, then you doing ideologies, which gets kind into political philosophy. You can make the two overlap a bit, if you pick the right books to read.

Maybe it would be a bit stranger not to have Econ, but I'm not even sure on that. For my History course, I've done Soviet and US Cold War history, and post-war UK. There is a lot of economic focus in that, and maybe if you happened to be doing something similar, you could say that everything else you have done has been economics focused, and that's what interested you etc.

On the economic theory, though, I'm really not sure. I don't know how much prior knowledge you are expected to have.

I think the point is that there are not necessarily any set rules on what you should study, the most important thing is that you can show an interest in what you apply for. Having said that, LSE, for example, are fussy with stuff like that, and it goes without saying that people who have already studied the subjects they are applying for will find it easier to convince admissions advisers of their interest in them.

Ultimately, though, speak with admissions advisers.
I mean, for PPE it really just says Maths and History, but again I would have to show my interest in all three of the subjects. On the history with economics part, our college has actually been doing a lot of economic history in Nazi Germany which I have found fascinating. Also, I am going to do an EPQ on something to do with Economics and Politics in order to show my interest and hopefully try and do lots of wider reading.
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Congrats on your offers!!!

Would you say it is an A-Level that is possible in one year. I am going to ask the Gov & Politics tutor at our college, but my personal tutor reckons it will be? What would you say having done it?

Also, would you say I would be suitable for Economics and Politics, having not studies Economics? I do take maths, which they require but I love the idea of combining them. Looking to do that at LSE, Oxford(PPE), UCL, Bristol and Southampton.
Thanks! (:

Well considering I only really got the right textbook for AS six weeks before the exams and got 200/200 UMS (not bragging just demonstrating that you can swot for a subject in a small space of time) I believe you could feasibly do it in a year. What A-Levels are you studying atm?
I think Government and Politics would definitely be good for PPE at UCL, LSE and Oxford. UCL ask for an A* in Maths though and I believe LSE do too, while Oxford only require AAA so you have to ask yourself whether that A* in Maths is likely? Have you ever considered History and Politics at Oxford or Government and History at LSE as well as your A Level subjects would be good for that (if you have History A Level).
I can say more if I know what subjects you do. It'd be good to know what A-Levels you're doing
clement345
Rep:
?
Thanks! (:

Well considering I only really got the right textbook for AS six weeks before the exams and got 200/200 UMS (not bragging just demonstrating that you can swot for a subject in a small space of time) I believe you could feasibly do it in a year. What A-Levels are you studying atm?
I think Government and Politics would definitely be good for PPE at UCL, LSE and Oxford. UCL ask for an A* in Maths though and I believe LSE do too, while Oxford only require AAA so you have to ask yourself whether that A* in Maths is likely? Have you ever considered History and Politics at Oxford or Government and History at LSE as well as your A Level subjects would be good for that (if you have History A Level).
I can say more if I know what subjects you do. It'd be good to know what A-Levels you're doing
Fair enough that is insane!

Well I am doing Maths, Chemistry and History (I chose them too keep options open) and I will be changing AL Physics to AS(hate it) and looking to get/predicted AAA/A*AA with A* in History or if taken Gov + Politcs.

I am actually looking to do:
- Gov + Econ at LSE (AAA)
- UCL History, poltics, econ (AAA)
- PPE Oxford(AAA)
- Bristol Poltics and Econ (AAA)
- Southampton Politics and Econ (BBB)

So really LSE, UCL and Oxford probs want only an A at A-Level for Maths (I think UCL only ask for it too AS), but I think I can achieve that. I have indeed considered History and politics, and probably will consider it even further if maths doesn't go too well.

I am also looking to do an EPQ on Economics and Politics, something to do with Turkey's accession to the EU or Eastern European/Soviet Politics and Economics

Thanks for your help
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Fair enough that is insane!

Well I am doing Maths, Chemistry and History (I chose them too keep options open) and I will be changing AL Physics to AS(hate it) and looking to get/predicted AAA/A*AA with A* in History or if taken Gov + Politcs.

I am actually looking to do:
- Gov + Econ at LSE (AAA)
- UCL History, poltics, econ (AAA)
- PPE Oxford(AAA)
- Bristol Poltics and Econ (AAA)
- Southampton Politics and Econ (BBB)

So really LSE, UCL and Oxford probs want only an A at A-Level for Maths (I think UCL only ask for it too AS), but I think I can achieve that. I have indeed considered History and politics, and probably will consider it even further if maths doesn't go too well.

I am also looking to do an EPQ on Economics and Politics, something to do with Turkey's accession to the EU or Eastern European/Soviet Politics and Economics

Thanks for your help
Ok. Those are good A-Levels for those courses (:
clement345
Rep:
?
Ok. Those are good A-Levels for those courses (:
Would it matter if I do not take Economics A-level? I think I would prefer, and probably easier to do the A-Level of Gov & Politics in 1 year over the Economics one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads