Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I have received two offers from the following programs: Warwick, Msc in Statisitics, Edinburgh Msc in Statisitics and OR.

My goal is to pursue a PhD afterwards, in the U.K. or back at home (I am from Switzerland).

I understand the Warwick has a better statistic department, but Edinburgh has a better overall ranking. What program would maximize my chance of finding a "good" PhD program? And what program would be the best for the plan B, which is finding a decent job, probably in the finance industry.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for you help.

PS: I also received an offer from Lancaster and Kent, but I assumed these two are less interesting in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbelDevers)
    Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I have received two offers from the following programs: Warwick, Msc in Statisitics, Edinburgh Msc in Statisitics and OR.

My goal is to pursue a PhD afterwards, in the U.K. or back at home (I am from Switzerland).

I understand the Warwick has a better statistic department, but Edinburgh has a better overall ranking. What program would maximize my chance of finding a "good" PhD program? And what program would be the best for the plan B, which is finding a decent job, probably in the finance industry.

What do you guys think?

PS: I also received an offer from Lancaster and Kent, but I assumed these two are less interesting in that regard.
    As painful as it is to say (I really dislike the Warwick hype on TSR), Warwick is better for that course.

ReputationRep:
    Many congrats!

Would you mind telling me when applied to the courses?

I submitted my applications in early Dec, but have not heard from those two departments yet.

Thanks.

(Original post by AbelDevers)
    Hi everyone,

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prml)
    Many congrats!

Would you mind telling me when applied to the courses?

I submitted my applications in early Dec, but have not heard from those two departments yet.

Thanks.
    Thanks.

I applied early in october.

Edinburg answered right away when warwick only answered a few weeks before today.

Hopes it helped.

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow International student I would go with University of Edinburgh. Yes, Warwick is good, but Edinburgh is not much worse and it is very widely known around the world, people probably know about it in Switzerland, it is popular in the US and Asia. I know that is a strange way to look at it, but since you have mentioned that you might go back home after your studies, I think the international prestige is something to consider. I never heard of Warwick until I started looking at graduate schools in the UK, so if you don't stay there, that is something to consider.

Since you are on the fence about it, I would also look at the department individually, maybe there is a professor at Warwick or Edinburgh that literally makes the whole department for you much better no matter what. How big is it? How much studentrofessor contact?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is objectively better for that course, but Edinburgh is semi-objectively a better place to live.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.