Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got invited to an interview for Chemical engineering I am an international applicant, applying from Norway. I was expecting a skype interview, but from the email it appears that they expect me to fly in. I have a few questions:
    • Can anyone list the main parts of physics/maths/chemistry that have been covered so far in the English curriculum? (as in, what can i expect to be asked about for the technical questions)
    • How many technical questions are typically asked in an interview?
    • Do they not do skype interviews because i need to write down on paper to solve the technical questions?
    Any other advice about the interview process and how to prepare would be greatly appreciated as well.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Won't be quite helpful, but I'm applying for Chemistry from Germany and they require me to come to London as well, so I suppose it's not a rare thing that everything within Europe is considered 'reasonable travel distance'. Skype certainly would be more relaxed. When are you suppossed to have the interview?

ReputationRep:
    My interview is on february 3rd

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, unfortunately I am as well from Germany , so I cannot tell what you need to focus your revision on, but I would simply recommend you to look at all the stuff you did so far in school.
    There were some technical questions, which I am obviously not allowed to talk about, but I can tell that there was some "general Chemistry", so nothing I really had written anywhere , nor had I discussed it in school, but if you are into chemistry you would have probably come across it anyway.
    Also prepare for the classic questions in regard to your motivation, basically read what they wrote as advice on their webpage and you should be fine
    They do not want to embarrass anyone during the interview, rather the opposite, so just dont panic and if you dont know the answer instantly tell him/her that you take a moment to think about it and then try to solve the question gradually, whereas you can ask if there is sth unclear to you.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Did you do fine only preparing 12th grade chemistry or did you also repeat all of 11th grade chemistry? Would you recommend arriving in London a day before the interview or did you just book an early flight for the same day of your interview? Did you get yourself some sort of vocab for chemistry terminology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roju)
    I just got invited to an interview for Chemical engineering I am an international applicant, applying from Norway. I was expecting a skype interview, but from the email it appears that they expect me to fly in. I have a few questions:
    • Can anyone list the main parts of physics/maths/chemistry that have been covered so far in the English curriculum? (as in, what can i expect to be asked about for the technical questions)
    • How many technical questions are typically asked in an interview?
    • Do they not do skype interviews because i need to write down on paper to solve the technical questions?
    Any other advice about the interview process and how to prepare would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Concentrate on rates of reaction for chemistry, and make sure you can differentiate and integrate the large majority of important functions (eg exponential, logarithmic) as well. Remember the interviews are short, so they can only examine a very limited amount of material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pat97)
    Did you do fine only preparing 12th grade chemistry or did you also repeat all of 11th grade chemistry? Would you recommend arriving in London a day before the interview or did you just book an early flight for the same day of your interview? Did you get yourself some sort of vocab for chemistry terminology?
    I mainly did revision on my personal statement, only covered a little little tiny bit of 12th grade chemistry.
    I would definetely recommend to fly over the day before, since you will have to be at ICL quite "early", as you are not only going to the interview but also have a tour to see the most important parts of the faculty, which was really nice ,
    additionally, spending one day in London isnt too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by branflake)
    I mainly did revision on my personal statement, only covered a little little tiny bit of 12th grade chemistry.
    I would definetely recommend to fly over the day before, since you will have to be at ICL quite "early", as you are not only going to the interview but also have a tour to see the most important parts of the faculty, which was really nice ,
    additionally, spending one day in London isnt too bad
    Alright, thanks for the advice!
    Keep us updated if you receive an offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by branflake)
    Hey there, unfortunately I am as well from Germany , so I cannot tell what you need to focus your revision on, but I would simply recommend you to look at all the stuff you did so far in school.There were some technical questions, which I am obviously not allowed to talk about, but I can tell that there was some "general Chemistry", so nothing I really had written anywhere , nor had I discussed it in school, but if you are into chemistry you would have probably come across it anyway.Also prepare for the classic questions in regard to your motivation, basically read what they wrote as advice on their webpage and you should be fine They do not want to embarrass anyone during the interview, rather the opposite, so just dont panic and if you dont know the answer instantly tell him/her that you take a moment to think about it and then try to solve the question gradually, whereas you can ask if there is sth unclear to you.Good luck
    (Original post by Bath_Student)
    Concentrate on rates of reaction for chemistry, and make sure you can differentiate and integrate the large majority of important functions (eg exponential, logarithmic) as well. Remember the interviews are short, so they can only examine a very limited amount of material.
    Thank you both very much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.