Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I transfer university at the end of first year/for my second year? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    sorry for the long story :P

Currently I am studying architecture at Liverpool and its nice and fair my tutor is very good he is the only thing I really like about the whole experience my colleagues are alright I've acquainted with a few I guess. I haven't got any 'friends' here and it gets quite lonely and boring. I am not particularly great at getting cosy with new people but I am in no way an introvert I love having company being alone is a complete downer for me the bigger the group the better (like I have back home) or even just being with my parents or my four year's boyfriend (fiancé pretty much lol) is also enough.

Now I never wanted to pick architecture but then again I was never particular about what course I wanted to do as long as it was some what arty and creative/ design based. I want to move on to game art especially environment art so architecture seems like a logical choice. I find that I am struggling with my course though, but the thing is it is not the complexity level of it - I can manage that... its the fact that I don't feel motivated to do it at all and am not enjoying myself which causes me to stress out. I have these episodes of painful loneliness where I just cry for an hour randomly even though I really don't want to... its such a distraction. I get a lot more work done if my dad or my boyfriend is around for instance but when I am there away from everyone I just don't want get out of bed and every minute feels like an hour its a pain really :/

So I thought maybe a solution for this would be to transfer to my boyfriends uni which is Sheffield (I end up being there for days almost every other week anyway this way I could spare on the travel time and cost lol xD). Besides that is what we had initially planned back in school but it didnt work out for several reasons. Sheffield is higher up on the league tables and scores better in all ways compared to Liverpool so I don't see my parents minding too much :P
    The course will probably be harder to cope with as a result I'm guessing (if I even get accepted that is) so I am really confused.

also I know student life in Sheffield its a much calmer city on the more country side of things which I like I do feel more relaxed here.... Liverpool is far more prettier though but that's a minor thing I don't really care about accommodation/student life if I am with my best friend you know..

so what I am really asking is: Do you think I am just being a homesick baby and that I should just suck it up and get on with it? Or that the motivation I get from being around someone familiar will help me in the long run (either way its a 'better' uni) and that the process will be worth it as I may just do better with my course if I felt much... happier?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capriiluv)
    sorry for the long story :P

Currently I am studying architecture at Liverpool and its nice and fair my tutor is very good he is the only thing I really like about the whole experience my colleagues are alright I've acquainted with a few I guess. I haven't got any 'friends' here and it gets quite lonely and boring. I am not particularly great at getting cosy with new people but I am in no way an introvert I love having company being alone is a complete downer for me the bigger the group the better (like I have back home) or even just being with my parents or my four year's boyfriend (fiancé pretty much lol) is also enough.

Now I never wanted to pick architecture but then again I was never particular about what course I wanted to do as long as it was some what arty and creative/ design based. I want to move on to game art especially environment art so architecture seems like a logical choice. I find that I am struggling with my course though, but the thing is it is not the complexity level of it - I can manage that... its the fact that I don't feel motivated to do it at all and am not enjoying myself which causes me to stress out. I have these episodes of painful loneliness where I just cry for an hour randomly even though I really don't want to... its such a distraction. I get a lot more work done if my dad or my boyfriend is around for instance but when I am there away from everyone I just don't want get out of bed and every minute feels like an hour its a pain really :/

So I thought maybe a solution for this would be to transfer to my boyfriends uni which is Sheffield (I end up being there for days almost every other week anyway this way I could spare on the travel time and cost lol xD). Besides that is what we had initially planned back in school but it didnt work out for several reasons. Sheffield is higher up on the league tables and scores better in all ways compared to Liverpool so I don't see my parents minding too much :P
    The course will probably be harder to cope with as a result I'm guessing (if I even get accepted that is) so I am really confused.

also I know student life in Sheffield its a much calmer city on the more country side of things which I like I do feel more relaxed here.... Liverpool is far more prettier though but that's a minor thing I don't really care about accommodation/student life if I am with my best friend you know..

so what I am really asking is: Do you think I am just being a homesick baby and that I should just suck it up and get on with it? Or that the motivation I get from being around someone familiar will help me in the long run (either way its a 'better' uni) and that the process will be worth it as I may just do better with my course if I felt much... happier?
    It does sound as if you'd be happier either going to a uni closer to home, or one in Sheffield.

It is a big decision to change uni though. Contact Sheffield and ask if it's possible to transfer there. Make sure you discuss this with your parents and boyfriend too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.