Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a first year student on an adult nursing course but am really keen to switch to midwifery. Has anyone done this before? Would I have to start from the beginning of the course or could I join on at year 2 for midwifery if I complete me first year Adult Nursing course? Any help is much appreciated!

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place, I don't come on here much.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I switched courses after completing my first year (unrelated to your choices though). I had to start again from year 1 at the same uni. However, I suspect there may be some overlap between nursing and midwifery and your first year credits may count towards a midwifery degree. The best thing to do is to talk to the admissions tutor for midwifery at the university you want to study at, which may well be your current uni and see what they say. It's definitely worth a chat with them, and it's definitely worth finishing your first year as that will gain you a Certificate in Higher Education. If you're sure you want to switch, even if you have to start from year 1 again, I think it's probably worth doing to be happy in your future career. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingski)
    Hey, I switched courses after completing my first year (unrelated to your choices though). I had to start again from year 1 at the same uni. However, I suspect there may be some overlap between nursing and midwifery and your first year credits may count towards a midwifery degree. The best thing to do is to talk to the admissions tutor for midwifery at the university you want to study at, which may well be your current uni and see what they say. It's definitely worth a chat with them, and it's definitely worth finishing your first year as that will gain you a Certificate in Higher Education. If you're sure you want to switch, even if you have to start from year 1 again, I think it's probably worth doing to be happy in your future career. Best of luck.

Hey, thanks for the help. What did you switch from/to? And yes, definitely worth it even if it means starting from the beginning x

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. I switched from psychology to law but completed my first year. As they are unrelated subjects, I had to start from year 1, but I was happy to do that as I really wanted to study law. I stayed at the same uni, and the law admissions tutor was happy with my progress on the psychology degree and my A-level results before that, so I got an unconditional offer to study law from year 1 that September instead of year 2 psychology. I think admissions tutors understand that not everyone knows exactly what they want to do at 17/18, and I think a fair few people do change courses, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Midwifery is extremely difficult to get into and places are few and far between so it may be difficult to do a simple transfer. You may find that you have to reapply and interview for a space. They do not give out places for Midwifery easily. Speak with the admissions office and your tutors, but I do not think a switch to Midwifery is as easy as some other degree swaps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.