The Student Room Group

Does the POP pill carry a risk of blood clots/DVT like the combined pill?

Theres been a few articles lately about girls on the contraceptive pill dieing from blood clots/DVT. Both of these girls were on the combined pill.

I am on the POP pill cerazette, which only has progesterone. Does this pill carry the same fatal health risks as the combined? is it the oestrogen that causes the blood clots? I'm quite anxious about my health so if anyone knows would be much appreciated.
Yes, it's oestrogen related.

It's swings and roundabouts time: you have a slight increase in your blood clot risk (about 60 vs 30 non-users in 100,000 women over a year, most of whom don't die as a result) but pregnant women have a greater still risk (somewhere between 100 and 200 per 100,000 women) and you also are less likely to get ovarian and endometrial cancers.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Yes, it's oestrogen related.

It's swings and roundabouts time: you have a slight increase in your blood clot risk (about 60 vs 30 non-users in 100,000 women over a year, most of whom don't die as a result) but pregnant women have a greater still risk (somewhere between 100 and 200 per 100,000 women) and you also are less likely to get ovarian and endometrial cancers.

hey thank you for the reply! put me at ease bit. So the POP pill in general doesn't carry any serious health risks at all for healthy young people apart from general side effects, only those with a history of serious illness like breast cancer/ blood clots etc have a slight risk from the pop pill?
Reply 3
I was told by my GP that Cerazette doesn't have any increase in blood clots as women who have had blood clots in the past can still take mini pills as opposed to the combined pill. Its like everything else though, every medicine will have side effects and you've just got to keep an eye out for anything but in general, mini pills don't have anywhere near the risk of combined pills for blood clot risks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. The POP is free of such risks, but doesn't protect you against those two cancers and is - in practice - a bit less reliable.

So it's up to individual women: is the small additional risk of a blood clot worth those benefits?
Reply 5
Original post by unprinted
Yep. The POP is free of such risks, but doesn't protect you against those two cancers and is - in practice - a bit less reliable.

So it's up to individual women: is the small additional risk of a blood clot worth those benefits?

oh so the mini pill doesn't protect you against ovarian/endo cancer but it doesn't increase either its just neutral ? sorry if i sound dim !
Reply 6
Original post by Spock's Socks
I was told by my GP that Cerazette doesn't have any increase in blood clots as women who have had blood clots in the past can still take mini pills as opposed to the combined pill. Its like everything else though, every medicine will have side effects and you've just got to keep an eye out for anything but in general, mini pills don't have anywhere near the risk of combined pills for blood clot risks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats reassuring. yeah the mini pill doesn't seem to have any risks at all apart from being a tad less effective, but taken the same time everyday its fine

Quick Reply

Latest